By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your unpopular/controversial gaming opinions

COKTOE said:
Kai_Mao said:

Careful with your generalizations. you guys talk about being civil so act like it.

Anyway, I think the Wii is underrated despite being the 7th gen leader. Sure shovel ware was there, but I think there are a lot of hidden gems out there on Wii that most haven't tried. Muramasa, Zack and Wiki, The Conduit, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes, Endless Ocean, Dead Space Extraction, Madworld, etc. are titles most haven't tried and are exceptional to a library that has great games like the Galaxy games, Prime 3, Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Brawl, MKWii, Xenoblade, The Last Story, DKC Returns, Kirby's Return to Dreamland, etc. Sure they aren't the Final Fantasys, GTAs, CoDs of the world but they aren't pushovers.

Handhelds are game consoles. They play video games regardless if they don't connect to a damn TV. Besides obvious power differences, games like Pokémon, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Yokai Watch, Animal Crossing, etc. on handhelds are just as much as fulfilling game experiences as games on home consoles. I'm tired of people disregarding handhelds. Heck some franchises started out as handheld games, including the biggest IP in the industry outside of Mario. You don't have to like handheld gaming, but at least respect that it's another way to play games and that it has its own benefits.

Much sarcasm. :) I said that to make a point. I'm not at all serious about the bolded, nor the reinforcement of the idea that PS fans are bitter. I would never be so gauche. I do love the term Stupid Baby though. It, along with Fragile Porciline Mouse, was my online handle in DOA on the XB360.

I'll have to remember that one.

Nautilus said:
For the most part, games should not have multiples difficulties.If a developer inteds for a game to be hard, it should be experienced as so.If a developer intends a game to be easy, it should be experienced as so.People give too much importance to player "freedom of choice" and forget that this sometimes leads to a lesser playing experience.

I agree with not having an easy difficulty on any game but a game should have a play as intended by dev/normal and a hard difficulty. 

Around the Network

- Paid online is a ripoff and it's sadly here to stay.

- "Do it in any order" has ruined the dungeons and puzzle difficulty in Zelda games starting with ALBW.

- The original Majora's Mask is still the best version of the game, even though the remake looks way better.

Leadified said:
Xen said:
Uncharted is an overrated chore of a "game".

...minus some parts of Uncharted 3.

I enjoy Uncharted for the presentation and characters but the gameplay is incredibly mediocre. I managed to get through 1 and 2 while having some fun with them but 3 for whatever reason completely dropped the ball for me.

Well when Sony advertises the game as something your "dumb" girlfriend thinks is a movie and not a game then you can see there could be potential problems with actual gameplay.

RolStoppable said:
Skyward Sword was a failure.

Fortunately, people are beginning to see the light now.

Quality as a game, as a concept or for sales expectations?

sethnintendo said:
Leadified said:

I enjoy Uncharted for the presentation and characters but the gameplay is incredibly mediocre. I managed to get through 1 and 2 while having some fun with them but 3 for whatever reason completely dropped the ball for me.

Well when Sony advertises the game as something your "dumb" girlfriend thinks is a movie and not a game then you can see there could be potential problems with actual gameplay.

Bit of a side topic off of this but this is why I dislike scores and grade in video game reviews. You may have great presentation, graphics, sound design, but poor gameplay and still hit a 90 metascore, which seems absurd to me. Scores need to be done away with in favour of listing the pros and cons of each game.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
morenoingrato said:

Quality as a game, as a concept or for sales expectations?

In this context it's purely about sales.

I do remember closely following its sales hoping it would outsell Uncharted 3 during those days. They were pretty close too. Alas.

Leadified said:
sethnintendo said:

Bit of a side topic off of this but this is why I dislike scores and grade in video game reviews. You may have great presentation, graphics, sound design, but poor gameplay and still hit a 90 metascore, which seems absurd to me. Scores need to be done away with in favour of listing the pros and cons of each game.

I guess for me though, I can still thoroughly enjoy a game with fairly poor/mediorcre gameplay, as long as the story and atmosphere can make up for it.

The original Grand Theft Auto is the most fun in the series.
The control scheme for the original Tomb Raider games is brilliant. It allow for a methodical style of play that is very easy to pick up and understand. The grid based system of the jumping/movement mechanics is also well done.

Some more of mine:
Pokemon X/Y are criminally overrated. Kalos was overly bland with nothing unique. The cast of characters were by far the worst in the series (except scycamore). Lumiose City was a nightmare to navigate cause of that terrible camera. The only reason it doesn't get that much flak is because it's the first pokemon game in "3d". I also find it very amusing that gen 5 (which I also don't like) is shitted on for lazy pokemon designs, but gen 6 gets away with it. You have Swirlix (cotton candy), Klefki (key ring), Carbink (A rock with a somehow worse design than geodude), Dedenne (Worst pikachu rip-off out of all of the gens), Honedge, Doublade, Aegislash (one sword, two swords, sword and a shield). Xerneas is the worst cover legendary by far, it's just a fucking blue deer. Mega evolution was a lazy idea in general imo, and it got even worse they gave all the megas to gen1 pokemon for fan-service.
I could go on, but you get the point.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Haze and Knack are actually decent/good games. I'd give them 6.5 and 7.5 respectively. Flawed games, but far from utter garbage like some believe.