By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - July 2017 NPD Thread! Switch #1

Also holy shit 2.2mill software for ps4!!!

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network
xl-klaudkil said:
Also holy shit 2.2mill software for ps4!!!

Ps4 software is insane.  And no xbox numbers doesn't bode well for it. 

librarian13579 said:

Ehh, fuck it, I'll just post them.

*NO CROSS-POSTING TO NEOGAF PLEASE BECAUSE OF NPD GOONS*

July 2017 software market: $540 million (+21.3%)

NSW + PS4 comprised $182 million (+28.7%) of hardware and $183 million (+17.9%) of software

Does the "software market" include mobile games? I'm asking since if PS4 and Switch account for $183 million then there's 357 million left and that's a lot for Xbox One and 3DS alone to fill.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
librarian13579 said:

July 2017 software market: $540 million (+21.3%)

NSW + PS4 comprised $182 million (+28.7%) of hardware and $183 million (+17.9%) of software

Does the "software market" include mobile games? I'm asking since if PS4 and Switch account for $183 million then there's 357 million left and that's a lot for Xbox One and 3DS alone to fill.

PC-market may also be a lot.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

librarian13579 said:

I just got July 2017 NPD numbers in from my contact. So I *could*, theoretically, share some of them with you guys right now, so you wouldn't have to wait for Thursday's PR for someone to maybe say something maybe.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

(1) There are NPD goons crawling all over NeoGAF now and, as history has demonstrated to us in the past, NPD goons have no qualms going on leaker witchhunts and making people's lives hell if they keep leaking. So I really don't know if it's worth poking that hornet's nest if the data's just going to get posted there.

(2) You're right, I don't like being mocked. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I just came here specifically to help.

(3) If Jal356 can still share numbers and I can act as a "number verifier" because the mods verified me, it would cause far less stress on me than being an active leaker people rely on. I'm an extremely busy person, and I don't want to create any expectation that I'll just swoop in and share a bunch of numbers every month.

So I'm asking you guys...what would you do if you were in my shoes? Because I'm conflicted.

It would be priceless for the community (not just vgchartz) if the numbers would get leaked continuosly. Without leaks, NPD talk becomes bullshit where different agendas roam free. This is obvious when comparing NPD talk to Media Create/Famitsu talk.

Maybe you could leak the numbers a month or two late.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:
librarian13579 said:

July 2017 games market: $540 million (+21.3%)

July 2017 NPD Hardware:

NSW: 222K

PS4: 217K (+34.7%)

3DS: 105K (-44.3%)

July 2017 NPD Physical Software:

PS4: 2299K (+52.0%)

NSW: 736K

3DS: 384K (-49.2%)

Splatoon 2 is #1 for new title physical units at 332K

$540 million in total

- $182 million PS4 + NSW hardware

- $183 million PS4 + NSW software

- like $35 million for 3DS hardware and software

=

And you're left with like $140 million for everything else

It should be "games market," not software market.

April 30th, 2011 - July 12th, 2018

Wow, the 3DS is down YoY? I'm guessing PoGo released last July... Switch stock still low in the US (I think it sold 280k in Japan last month, so we see where Nintendo's priorities are). And now I have no doubt PS4 will be up over 2016.

Thanks Librarian, now let's see what happens on Thursday.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Slarvax said:
Wow, the 3DS is down YoY? I'm guessing PoGo released last July... Switch stock still low in the US (I think it sold 280k in Japan last month, so we see where Nintendo's priorities are). And now I have no doubt PS4 will be up over 2016.

Also notable to point out that Japanese physical sales for Splatoon 2 were 753K in July while USA physical sales were only 332K. The impetus for the game in the USA seems more limited than in Japan.

Slarvax said:

I'd honestly wait for official PR. These numbers seem very weird. Switch is flat despite Splatoon 2 launch and Nintendo saying they would ship more. Splatoon also seems very low... the first one sold about the same across all regions, and Switch has sold 2x times more in US when compared to Japan. It's all very weird. In any case, Nintendo should release an official statement soon. 

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
Slarvax said:

I'd honestly wait for official PR. These numbers seem very weird. Switch is flat despite Splatoon 2 launch and Nintendo saying they would ship more. Splatoon also seems very low... the first one sold about the same across all regions, and Switch has sold 2x times more in US when compared to Japan. It's all very weird. In any case, Nintendo should release an official statement soon. 

Nintendo ramped up production of NSW but assigned a bigger chunk of July shipments to Japan to match with the global release of Splatoon 2, which is why growth in USA sell-through wasn't that big.

Also, if you're going to doubt me then I don't have any reason to post any further leaks here.