By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo officially removes Wii U page from website

Good, lets hope they learnt their mistakes and arent as arrogant going forward.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Xen said:

The Wii U, or most consoles ever for that matter, do not even approach the Gamecube in amount of quality titles. Cannot say the same for WiiU.

You're exactly the sort of person I am talking about. Creating a fictionized version of the generation in an attempt justify blind fandom of a failed console. The gamecube era was a terrible and bleakest generation to be a Nintendo fan.

It had, perhaps, the weakest and most sparsely released lineup of any Nintendo console; the biggest title being a Smash Brothers game, which is depressing to say the least; Wii U had a stronger lineup in the end. The biggest problem was the philosophy: an economy-class PS2, which they achieved by gimping its features and cheapening its software - then justified it all by aiming the console primarily at children, but with a few gun-games for the big kids. Creating a console whose greatest appeal is in how it immitates the competition is very unNintendo-like. The Gamecube would have been more accurately called the Nintendo PS2 Jr.

The only darker time I can remember in Nintendo's history was when nearly all the Japanese third parties flipped Nintendo the bird and moved on to the PSX. Gamecube retained that terrible status quo, but raised the N64 with no DMA (Rockstar) and no Rareware.

Oh? But that is exactly it. I am not a Nintendo fan!

Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Skies of Arcadia, Metroid Prime 1+2, Eternal Darkness, F-Zero GX, a lot of crap I forgot - and a lot of wonderful multiplats, the GCN's place in history is guaranteed. The PS2 Jr. ? Somewhat. But the PS2 is my no'1 console. And the Gamecube stands as my favorite Nintendo home console.

You don't have to be Nintendo to stand the test of time. Soul Calibur 2 on GCN is amazing, even now.

I have to say though, the WiiU's two crown jewels (MK8 and Breath of the Wild) are already on Switch, with a few other great ports possibly coming up, so at least the good part of the WiiU will live on.

Pretty nuts considering that Wii U games and accessories are still widely available. However, I'm pretty sure brand new Wii U consoles are getting rare.
When you do a Google search, Wii U is still mentioned in the website's description.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Jumpin said:
Xen said:

The Wii U, or most consoles ever for that matter, do not even approach the Gamecube in amount of quality titles. Cannot say the same for WiiU.

You're exactly the sort of person I am talking about. Creating a fictionized version of the generation in an attempt justify blind fandom of a failed console. The gamecube era was a terrible and bleakest generation to be a Nintendo fan.

It had, perhaps, the weakest and most sparsely released lineup of any Nintendo console; the biggest title being a Smash Brothers game, which is depressing to say the least; Wii U had a stronger lineup in the end. The biggest problem was the philosophy: an economy-class PS2, which they achieved by gimping its features and cheapening its software - then justified it all by aiming the console primarily at children, but with a few gun-games for the big kids. Creating a console whose greatest appeal is in how it immitates the competition is very unNintendo-like. The Gamecube would have been more accurately called the Nintendo PS2 Jr.

The only darker time I can remember in Nintendo's history was when nearly all the Japanese third parties flipped Nintendo the bird and moved on to the PSX. Gamecube retained that terrible status quo, but raised the N64 with no DMA (Rockstar) and no Rareware.

The GameCube is deceptive; it has a lot more quality titles than you might think, once you start digging a bit deeper and exploring titles forgotten to the sands of time.

You know, like Custom Robo, Homeland, Skies of Arcadia: Legends, Giftpia, Cubivore, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Ikaruga, Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, Chibi-Robo,  Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Metal Arms, Killer7, P.N.03, Gotcha Force, Wario World, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Gladius, Lost Kingdoms  1 and 2, Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2, Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2, Mega Man X Command Mission, Batallion Wars, Freedom Fighters, etc.

April 30th, 2011 - July 12th, 2018

Around the Network

The WiiU may have been a financial failure with a flawed marketing message and arguably wasn't a great achievement looking back. But people shitting on the console fail to recognize two things:

- it had a good number of great and some amazing games (which I wouldnt want to have missed and I don't see why anyone should keep themselves from enjoying)

- Nintendo tried something different as usual, sometimes that works, sometimes that doesnt. If they wouldnt be doing this the gaming world would be much more homogenous and boring. They deserve recognition for playing this part, the other two arent really doing it after all

killeryoshis said:
Even Nintendo doesn't want to remember the Wii u. I wouldn't be surprised if in a history retrospective there is a big info gap between 2012 and 2017.

No way, they'll have a lot to say about their 47 different 3DS systems, Amiibo, their first steps into mobile gaming, the start of their over hyped and under supplied Classic Mini series and the attempt and then cancellation of their QoL project. Oh and they spent those years beta testing their next big vision for consoles, the Switch. Its just a bit wierd that they didn't have a console out during that time.

jason1637 said:
Dr.Vita said:
Nintendo will start to act like Wii U never existed from now on. Let's be honest Wii U was Nintendo's biggest failure ever and they don't want to talk about it ever again.

The virtual boy was a bigger flop they have still talked about it. I doubt Nintendo will pretend like it doesn't exist.

The Virtual Boy wasn't a big budget home console.

Dr.Vita said:
jason1637 said:

The virtual boy was a bigger flop they have still talked about it. I doubt Nintendo will pretend like it doesn't exist.

The Virtual Boy wasn't a big budget home console.

But its still Nintendos biggest failure. Nintendo atleast made a profit from wii u software and hardware while the same cant be said for the VB.

Jumpin said:
Xen said:

Metroid PrimeRE: 4WindwakerSoul Calibur IIPrince of PersiaMetroid Prime 2Super Mario SunshineViewtiful JoeEternal DarknessMeleeRogue Squadron IIResident Evil RemakePikmin 2F-Zero GXSuper Monkey BallBeyond Good and EvilPaper Mario: TTYDDouble DashPikminAnimal CrossingSuper Monkey Ball 2Viewtiful Joe 2Spiderman 2Fire Emblem PoRMetal Gear Solid: The Twin SnakesIkarugaTales of SymphoniaSkies of Arcadia
That's 28 games over the coarse of four years. Seven good games a year on average. Even if you ignore the games that also came to PS2, you still have 18 good games from my list. How the heck is Gamecube considered a bad system?