By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo officially removes Wii U page from website

andisart said:
The WiiU may have been a financial failure with a flawed marketing message and arguably wasn't a great achievement looking back. But people shitting on the console fail to recognize two things:

- it had a good number of great and some amazing games (which I wouldnt want to have missed and I don't see why anyone should keep themselves from enjoying)

- Nintendo tried something different as usual, sometimes that works, sometimes that doesnt. If they wouldnt be doing this the gaming world would be much more homogenous and boring. They deserve recognition for playing this part, the other two arent really doing it after all

It was worth buying at the time. I'm just salty because it didn't get a good game until July 2013, and got it's last good game December 2015. That's effectively a two and a half year life cycle. 

Around the Network
think-man said:
Wii will always remember U.

lol, well put

Jumpin said:
Xen said:

The Wii U, or most consoles ever for that matter, do not even approach the Gamecube in amount of quality titles. Cannot say the same for WiiU.

You're exactly the sort of person I am talking about. Creating a fictionized version of the generation in an attempt justify blind fandom of a failed console. The gamecube era was a terrible and bleakest generation to be a Nintendo fan.

It had, perhaps, the weakest and most sparsely released lineup of any Nintendo console; the biggest title being a Smash Brothers game, which is depressing to say the least; Wii U had a stronger lineup in the end. The biggest problem was the philosophy: an economy-class PS2, which they achieved by gimping its features and cheapening its software - then justified it all by aiming the console primarily at children, but with a few gun-games for the big kids. Creating a console whose greatest appeal is in how it immitates the competition is very unNintendo-like. The Gamecube would have been more accurately called the Nintendo PS2 Jr.

The only darker time I can remember in Nintendo's history was when nearly all the Japanese third parties flipped Nintendo the bird and moved on to the PSX. Gamecube retained that terrible status quo, but raised the N64 with no DMA (Rockstar) and no Rareware.

Gamecube had an exclusive Zelda, an exclusive Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, two Pokemon RPGs and a lot of great third-party titles. Gamecube had a far better lineup than Wii U. The only consoles from a mayor console maker worse than Wii U are Virtual Boy and possibly PS Vita.

As a happy Switch owner, I only find this infuriating because Nintendo plainly stated that NX (Switch) and Wii U could coexist and that the release of NX would not kill their support for Wii U. The majority of us knew it was just BS PR, but even still it just goes to show that Nintendo is another money-loving corporation and not the "super gamer friendly buddy buddy" types that so many try to paint them out to be.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Magnus said:
Jumpin said:

You're exactly the sort of person I am talking about. Creating a fictionized version of the generation in an attempt justify blind fandom of a failed console. The gamecube era was a terrible and bleakest generation to be a Nintendo fan.

It had, perhaps, the weakest and most sparsely released lineup of any Nintendo console; the biggest title being a Smash Brothers game, which is depressing to say the least; Wii U had a stronger lineup in the end. The biggest problem was the philosophy: an economy-class PS2, which they achieved by gimping its features and cheapening its software - then justified it all by aiming the console primarily at children, but with a few gun-games for the big kids. Creating a console whose greatest appeal is in how it immitates the competition is very unNintendo-like. The Gamecube would have been more accurately called the Nintendo PS2 Jr.

The only darker time I can remember in Nintendo's history was when nearly all the Japanese third parties flipped Nintendo the bird and moved on to the PSX. Gamecube retained that terrible status quo, but raised the N64 with no DMA (Rockstar) and no Rareware.

Gamecube had an exclusive Zelda, an exclusive Mario Kart, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, two Pokemon RPGs and a lot of great third-party titles. Gamecube had a far better lineup than Wii U. The only consoles from a mayor console maker worse than Wii U are Virtual Boy and possibly PS Vita.

I feel like Nintendo 1st-party in the GameCube era had more originality put into it. It's hard to quantify, but it's not just the nostalgia talking----lately I've been playing a lot of GameCube games on my PC (via Dolphin and a USB GameCube controller). Developers really tried to go all-out instead of making cheap, shitty cash-ins (compare the brilliance of Mario Power Tennis to the horrendous Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash). I think it's because in the GameCube era developers weren't stymied by Miyamoto who jammed his vision of a budget-obsessed, sterilized Nintendo down everyone's throat.

Case in point:

April 30th, 2011 - July 12th, 2018

Around the Network

The end of an era.

librarian13579 said:
Magnus said:

I feel like Nintendo 1st-party in the GameCube era had more originality put into it. It's hard to quantify, but it's not just the nostalgia talking----lately I've been playing a lot of GameCube games on my PC (via Dolphin and a USB GameCube controller). Developers really tried to go all-out instead of making cheap, shitty cash-ins (compare the brilliance of Mario Power Tennis to the horrendous Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash). I think it's because in the GameCube era developers weren't stymied by Miyamoto who jammed his vision of a budget-obsessed, sterilized Nintendo down everyone's throat.

Miyamoto wanted budget games? I'd like to know more please. 

Mike321 said:
The end of an era.

So I guess this means that the Wii U is officially discontinued as far as hardware and software shipments go. They didn't do this for the original Wii until like 2015.

Cerebralbore101 said:
librarian13579 said:

Miyamoto wanted budget games? I'd like to know more please. 

Think about it.

Shigeru Miyamoto became a senior member / Representative Director on the Board of Directors at Nintendo on May 31st, 2002. He was promoted from a bottom-rung junior director / department head to one of the key budget strategists of the company.

At Nintendo, video game projects are greenlit with a specific budget, often at least two or three years before they end up coming out.

When Miyamoto became a Representative Director, he became one of the people responsible for greenlighting the budgets for video game projects for projects that would come out in 2005 onward (like New Super Mario Bros.)

If the budget was too high, now Miyamoto had the chance to say "Sorry, that's too much money, go back to the drawing board." Before that he could make suggestions, but he didn't have the final say.

Of course, even though he became a senior member in 2002, there was still Satoru Iwata and Atsushi Asada (the real head of Nintendo until 2005) that he had to make decisions with.

Once Atsushi Asada retired, it was just Miyamoto and Satoru Iwata who called the shots on game budgets. And that's when you start to notice more budget games. I don't know exactly if it was Miyamoto's idea or Iwata's idea originally, but their focus did start to increasingly include projects like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which produced extremely cheaply with recycled assets.

It's also around that time that Miyamoto had the bright idea to remove all character customization in Mario games to "capture the essence of Mario." I can't help but see a connection between the two...after all, it's far cheaper to have all Toads look the same than pay a team of character designers.

Nintendo software research and development costs:

1999-March 2000: 16,495 million yen
2000-March 2001: 16,591 million yen
2001-March 2002: 16,791 million yen
2002-March 2003 (aka. when Miyamoto started to have influence over the budgets of games): 14,598 million yen