By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: Monster Hunter XX Switch version is another test to evaluate our support for Switch

Unfortunately even if the Switch is a hot seller I think it's problematic for a lot of devs to devote specific resources just to the Switch or to the Switch in cases where it requires heavy resources (ie: trying to hack down a PS4 engine game to run on the Switch).

When the Wii launched the competition was the PS3 (also starting at 0 and started off very slow) and the XBox 360 which was only at about 10 million shipped.

The situation today is the the PS4 + XBox One are at nearly 100 million shipped combined and you have PC also in that group which is I dunno even know how many more high end PC gamers (another 40-50 million at least I would think).

It's tough to tell developers they should focus dev resources on a user base of 5-10-even 20 million by comparison, I think that's a big part of the reason Sony was able to snatch Monster Hunter World as a console game. There are ports I wouldn't mind on Switch, if USF2 sold well, how about a bundled version of Street Fighter III + Street Fighter IV next?

Around the Network
uran10 said:
fleischr said:
I think it may actually outsell Monster Hunter World

a port of an ehanced version of an enhanced version outselling a new game? doubt.... all of the doubt. But if it does happen I'll have one of the biggest laughs of my life.

Probably because I don't expect MHW to even sell that well *shrugs*

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

test number 8.

But that's a port again.   Or some alt version of the real game.  I'm looking at you RE: Chronicles games.

Probably. And look at soundwave answer and it contains most of the reason.

But as I said before most products are released as tests, if they fail they get cut off

Soundwave said:

Unfortunately even if the Switch is a hot seller I think it's problematic for a lot of devs to devote specific resources just to the Switch or to the Switch in cases where it requires heavy resources (ie: trying to hack down a PS4 engine game to run on the Switch).

When the Wii launched the competition was the PS3 (also starting at 0 and started off very slow) and the XBox 360 which was only at about 10 million shipped.

The situation today is the the PS4 + XBox One are at nearly 100 million shipped combined and you have PC also in that group which is I dunno even know how many more high end PC gamers (another 40-50 million at least I would think).

It's tough to tell developers they should focus dev resources on a user base of 5-10-even 20 million by comparison, I think that's a big part of the reason Sony was able to snatch Monster Hunter World as a console game. There are ports I wouldn't mind on Switch, if USF2 sold well, how about a bundled version of Street Fighter III + Street Fighter IV next?

Yep, deving for Xbox on most cases doesn't take much besides what is already used on PS4. So unless it's a niche game that will be most japan or Sony paid for exclusivity then X1 get a port. Switch still needs them knowing the cost of porting versus profit to make decision. And people keep pretending there is a dial to scale back without costs and just make a port show up.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Soundwave said:

Which game engines are you talking about? Almost all middleware is compatible with the Switch including, MT Framework. Japanese developers have long given up making new proprietary engines. Hell, even Nintendo and Square-Enix are using UE4 for many of their games now. The Wii never had full middleware support like the Switch has. 

killeryoshis said:

Reminds me of the Wii days. No matter how much the test games sold the Wii never got the title that we wanted.

The stupid never dies

what did "we" want?

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
Xen said:
I think it's cute how only Nintendo's home consoles get this "evaluate" treatment. And by cute, I mean "hilarious".
At least it's MonHun, the chance of low returns with this thing is quite small..

To be fair, Nintendo is only big hardware company that has ever had this issue where even the most popular third party titles simply do not sell well, especially if those titles are offered on competitor platforms. It's become an established fact that the majority of people who buy Nintendo hardware only buy Nintendo software. Cant blame third parties when neither they nor Nintendo have any control over that. 

I disagree with this. While third parties have tougher competition on Nintendo systems because their games don't have to compete with Nintendo games (Nintendo being the biggest software name in games) I certainly wouldn't say its an established fact that Nintendo owners don't want to buy third party games. I would say thats the opposite of the case. The fact is that third party games haven't been selling well since the Wii because third parties haven't been putting their major games on Nintendo systems! Seems pretty obvious old ports or remasters or games that came out a year ago on other systems, or their major games made by second tier teams aren't gonna sell as well as their mainline AAA games made by their top teams. It has nothing to do with owners of Nintendo systems, it has to do with the lack of effort third parties have been putting into games on Nintendo systems for the past decade. If they did the same thing to xbox or ps4 games those would sell a lot less too!

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Yep, deving for Xbox on most cases doesn't take much besides what is already used on PS4. So unless it's a niche game that will be most japan or Sony paid for exclusivity then X1 get a port. Switch still needs them knowing the cost of porting versus profit to make decision. And people keep pretending there is a dial to scale back without costs and just make a port show up.

Going from PS3/X360 to Wii was hard.  You went from programmable shaders to a fixed function pipeline, a full rewrite of all art assets, resolution reduction, frame rate reduction, multi-core to single core CPU with much lower clocks, unsupported game engines.

Going from PS4 to Switch uses the same game engine, mulitple core CPUs, much closer clock speeds, programmable shader GPUs, some art assets can be reused. 

The scalability factor for PS4 to Switch is infinitely better than PS3 to Wii.  Are their costs, time nd resources?  Certainly.  But nowhere near what once it was.

[UE4 games] "Shinoyama said that in order for it to be playable on Switch, developers only need to push a button. Although performance adjustments and optimizations are still required after this, the basic pace of porting is simple with just one button."
Source 1
Source 2

The bulk of time and money come from working with the input methods, HD rumble and online and those are hardly 100 people and full year requirements as suggested by Akeos.

Easier? Sure. But pressing a buton? That's hyperbole. Sony said one port took 1 guy 3h to port from pc to ps4, do I take that literally? No. They'll still need to do port work, and see if it will bring money to cover. Several japanese devs made exclusives to ps4 and didn't port to X1 and I'm sure would be easier than to Switch.

Slownenberg said:
DialgaMarine said:

To be fair, Nintendo is only big hardware company that has ever had this issue where even the most popular third party titles simply do not sell well, especially if those titles are offered on competitor platforms. It's become an established fact that the majority of people who buy Nintendo hardware only buy Nintendo software. Cant blame third parties when neither they nor Nintendo have any control over that. 

I disagree with this. While third parties have tougher competition on Nintendo systems because their games don't have to compete with Nintendo games (Nintendo being the biggest software name in games) I certainly wouldn't say its an established fact that Nintendo owners don't want to buy third party games. I would say thats the opposite of the case. The fact is that third party games haven't been selling well since the Wii because third parties haven't been putting their major games on Nintendo systems! Seems pretty obvious old ports or remasters or games that came out a year ago on other systems, or their major games made by second tier teams aren't gonna sell as well as their mainline AAA games made by their top teams. It has nothing to do with owners of Nintendo systems, it has to do with the lack of effort third parties have been putting into games on Nintendo systems for the past decade. If they did the same thing to xbox or ps4 games those would sell a lot less too!

Several games old better on ps3 than on x360 despise being a year late port and tr sold better on ps4.

Multiple games on Wii were simutaneous releases with other and sold much less.

There is no denying Nintendo HW sells much more less 3rd party SW compared to Ninty compared to ps and xbox

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:

Several games old better on ps3 than on x360 despise being a year late port and tr sold better on ps4.

There is no denying Nintendo HW sells much more less 3rd party SW compared to Ninty compared to ps and xbox

While you generally right, it depends on the game and the audience. Just Dance for instance to this day sells better on Wii than on PS4 (or WiiU for that matter). The audience for COD and FIFA is more on PS. Interesting for this discussion would be if MonHun sells better on PS or Nintendo. But Capcom had never parallel multiplatform releases for MonHun. And even with World we will not see this comparison.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

While you generally right, it depends on the game and the audience. Just Dance for instance to this day sells better on Wii than on PS4 (or WiiU for that matter). The audience for COD and FIFA is more on PS. Interesting for this discussion would be if MonHun sells better on PS or Nintendo. But Capcom had never parallel multiplatform releases for MonHun. And even with World we will not see this comparison.

Totally agree with you, and is normal that some genres sell better in one platform than another (much simple to dance on Wii than on PS4 in fact).

Was just saying that the fact that the game being a year old port and kinda inferior doesn't totally justify a bomb. We know for fact that Nintendo gamers are picky on this... we had Rayman issues because a lot of Nintendo fan said they would go against it because it was hold for release together with other editions.

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Totally agree with you, and is normal that some genres sell better in one platform than another (much simple to dance on Wii than on PS4 in fact).

Was just saying that the fact that the game being a year old port and kinda inferior doesn't totally justify a bomb. We know for fact that Nintendo gamers are picky on this... we had Rayman issues because a lot of Nintendo fan said they would go against it because it was hold for release together with other editions.

I personally would get XX for Switch, if Capcom gets their act together and localize this. Only that they declare it a test irritates me. As I said before, they should declare World the test, because World actually experiments with a new direction in multiple ways.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]