By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom: Monster Hunter XX Switch version is another test to evaluate our support for Switch

They should of had it ready for a WW release. The numbers would easily be there because NA and Europe would carry it across the goal.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Aw, come on Capcom. Switch hardware sells well, the old Street Fighter port sold well, everyone knows MonHun sells well in japan, especially on handhelds. Are they serious. The real test is MonHun World nobody knows which direction it will sell. And MonHun Worlds is an expensive new title, while MonHun XX is a cheap port of an enhanced edition. So Capcom should look at World as a test much more than this.

All product release are under test condition they saying or not, all sales and conditions will be analysed and feedback to the decision process of new products.

OTBWY said:
"Evaluate"

Actually it means that Nintendo has to pay for new games, the same way Sony paid to keep the Switch version of MonHun World out.

Do you have any evidence Nintendo paid for SF II, MH XX or that Sony paid MHW to be out of Switch but on other platforms?

Zuhyc said:
This reminds me of their thest with Resident Evil 4 Wii port. The game sold really well, so they made the Umbrella Chronicles for the Wii while the PS3 and X360 got Resident Evil 5.

Yes because RE 5 would totally run on Wii.

HintHRO said:

Everything can be used to gauge if you know how to threat the data. It's safer to release 2 cheap ports and evaluate the success than to compromise on an AAA exclusive payed solely by you. Or has Nintendo gone to them and offered money for they to develop an exclusive?

Nintendo themselves keep very safe but you guys want to complain on 3rd parties like they own anything to Nintendo.

No we don't act like 3rd parties own anything to Nintendo. We all know how bad Nintendo treats 3rd party. Still, Capcom's logic with this one is beyond flawed. SF2 is a SNES game from 1991! Still it sold relatively well at $40. What if it didn't (as it should have)? Does Capcom really think a brand new SF game on Switch would sell terrible because people didn't want to pay $40 for a 26 year old game? Capcom was lucky because Switch' software line-up is incredibly limited and people just want to play something. But no way would a rip-off like SF2 sell near that number (500k) on X1 or PS4 even with their bigger install bases. Based on that logic they shouldn't release any game on X1/PS4 at all.

Nope, your interpretation of that logic is flawed.

You don't know what were their expectation. And you are forcing your logic to be a different thing than what it really is.

Xen said:
DialgaMarine said:

To be fair, Nintendo is only big hardware company that has ever had this issue where even the most popular third party titles simply do not sell well, especially if those titles are offered on competitor platforms. It's become an established fact that the majority of people who buy Nintendo hardware only buy Nintendo software. Cant blame third parties when neither they nor Nintendo have any control over that. 

This is an over-generalization, I'd say.

Lots of third-party games underperform on PS/Xbox, most recently you can see Prey for example. There are well-selling third-party titles on Nintendo, but you are not entirely wrong, either: Nintendo home consoles surely have a problem even with genuinely good efforts, such as many on the Wii U - Tekken Tag 2, Assassin's Creed 4 for example, surely deserved to do a lot better.

Most recently on the Switch, the same Capcom had SF2 sell stupid numbers considering it was $40 and genuinely an old game. 

No it isn't.

Put how many MPs done much much worse on PS or Xbox compared to Nintendo version, now put the opposite. Is it an exageration?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Doesn't make sense.
Every MH game sells 2 to 4 million in 3ds in Japan.
Where do you think these gamers will be playing?
At least if it was a MH triple cross, but is a repeated game... The problem is that it won't perform well because is a repeated game. But a new MH would.

It's moments like these that I wonder if Capcom really knows what it's doing. Testing the waters ONLY in Japan with a port of a game, while another console is getting a new proper title from the same series just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Why not at least release it in the west? Last I heard, they did pretty well on the 3DS. It kind of makes me wonder if they're doing this on purpose, or just don't want to support the system.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

HintHRO said:

No we don't act like 3rd parties own anything to Nintendo. We all know how bad Nintendo treats 3rd party. Still, Capcom's logic with this one is beyond flawed. SF2 is a SNES game from 1991! Still it sold relatively well at $40. What if it didn't (as it should have)? Does Capcom really think a brand new SF game on Switch would sell terrible because people didn't want to pay $40 for a 26 year old game? Capcom was lucky because Switch' software line-up is incredibly limited and people just want to play something. But no way would a rip-off like SF2 sell near that number (500k) on X1 or PS4 even with their bigger install bases. Based on that logic they shouldn't release any game on X1/PS4 at all.

You don't know what were their expectation. And you are forcing your logic to be a different thing than what it really is.

You do realize you're the only one in this thread not getting how stupid these tests by Capcom are right? If Capcom wants to test if the Switch audience is willing to pay for their AAA games, they better base that on the sales of, for example, Resident Evil 7 and not an overpriced 26y old game while the competition is getting a collection of the same franchise at the same price. How can you expect a $40 SNES game to sell well (again they were lucky)? And if it doesn't sell well it immediately means Switch owners won't buy the newest Street Fighter or Resident Evil or Monster Hunter? That's just plain idiocracy. 

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:
Doesn't make sense.
Every MH game sells 2 to 4 million in 3ds in Japan.
Where do you think these gamers will be playing?
At least if it was a MH triple cross, but is a repeated game... The problem is that it won't perform well because is a repeated game. But a new MH would.

I agree completely. This is really systemic of Capcom trying to be ultra risk-averse, but the decision conflicts with many other objectives, which they should be pursuing more thoroughly. My guess is that Capcom doesn't see the Switch as quite as safe as normal Nintendo handhelds. They see the hybrid console as much more uncharted and murky territory and want more datapoints before making a decision. Idk I think that they're being way too conservative.

HintHRO said:

You do realize you're the only one in this thread not getting how stupid these tests by Capcom are right? If Capcom wants to test if the Switch audience is willing to pay for their AAA games, they better base that on the sales of, for example, Resident Evil 7 and not an overpriced 26y old game while the competition is getting a collection of the same franchise at the same price. How can you expect a $40 SNES game to sell well (again they were lucky)? And if it doesn't sell well it immediately means Switch owners won't buy the newest Street Fighter or Resident Evil or Monster Hunter? That's just plain idiocracy. 

You do know that eveyone agreeing with something doesn't necessarily make that thing right, right?

Are you in any analyst position on new products, market assessment, strategy or the like? The opinion of 1000 laymen on a subject may carry less value than one expert.

So Capcom releasing test games on some genres with very little risk and doing a good data threatment to project capacity for larger products isn't something outrageous. And the fact that they don't say any other game or platform is a test of market, ALL releases are being under constant testing and monitoring.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Well, I won't be purchasing any more Capcom games on any platform, they can go fuck themselves.

Besides, it's not like they're ever going to make anything original.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

What's most hilarious of all is if Monster Hunter World does PS2 kinda numbers - a MASSIVE drop off from the handheld days - suddenly Capcom will come running back to the Switch to recapture the handheld sales and they'll spin whatever sales anything got as passing their "test" and release World or 5 or whatever they call it. Because that's Capcom. People are surprised but this is a thing they've done several times now.

OTBWY said:
"Evaluate"

Actually it means that Nintendo has to pay for new games, the same way Sony paid to keep the Switch version of MonHun World out.

Do you have any evidence Nintendo paid for SF II, MH XX or that Sony paid MHW to be out of Switch but on other platforms?

Paying for ports happen. I don't know about Nintendo paying for SF II or MH XX. But the leaker that correctly leaked Monster Hunter World also said that Sony paid Capcom to not port to the Switch. So yeah, I believe that. Isn't the first time that Sony paid Capcom for games.