By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which is the most significant (important) console in history?

Which is the most important console ever?

Atari 2600 119 6.86%

NES 806 46.48%

SNES 109 6.29%

Sega Genesis 25 1.44%

N64 54 3.11%

PSX 303 17.47%

XBox 14 0.81%

PS2 225 12.98%

XB360 20 1.15%

Other - please explain 59 3.40%

Total:1,734

Sometimes, you guys surprise me. In a good way.

Around the Network

1. NES
2. PSX
3. SNES, PS2, X360, Wii, etc.

The NES began the industry as we know it today.
Atari 2600 was just the most successful of its time, but is overrated. Consoles like Vic 20 and C64 were almost as popular, and more influential. The NES, on the other hand was MUCH more popular and had the biggest long term impact.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

NES > PS1 > everyone else

I figured NES would be the leader in the poll. But, I didn't expect that it would be by such a large margin.

I voted for Atari 2600. IMO, it basically started console gaming. No, it wasn't the first. But, it was the first success.

Around the Network

The NES, Xbox or Dreamcast. My trouble with deciding is this:

Nes: Kickstarted the video game industry, have us the standard for control pads, revolutionized and even invented game genres and was highly succesful.
Dreamcast: Revolutionized online gaming with Phantasy star Online. Also, came with internet adapter, and even a second screen on the controller with a VMU. Also, experimented with new and weird game genres.
Xbox; Having a harddrive changed gaming forever. Also, made online popular and a standard for gaming going forward. Through Bungie, made fps mainstream within console gaming.

Atari 2600 killed the industry. It was a good system but it didn't do anything new really. Carts existed before it for a home console. Atari also helped kill the very market it made popular.

NES revived it and set things in place like licensing that is still done today. NES invented genres. NES gave us the most iconic franchies in history like Mario,Zelda,Metroid,Mega Man,Dragon Quest,Final Fantasy and more. NES gace us the D-pad for consoles.  Without the NES there is no PS1 or PS4 or Xbox. Sony systems sold well but never revolutionized anything. They been plenty Evolutionary.  NES single handedly saved revived gave birth all at once.

I'd put Dreamcast as one of the most influential systems(but not first or second or even 3rd just giving it a mention) as it lead us into the modern era. With online play. The way modern games are developed as Shenmue's development created techniques and tools that every developer and game uses now. It was the first console with a camera. It even had a video service to share. We got to speak to people online with a mic. First console with a MMO and many more things I could get into. DC did many things that didn't become the norm til 7th generation.

NES howver no question. THE most important console ever. It would be silly to choose anything else.

NES 100%

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Chris Hu said:
The NES

That being said the crash of 83 really only affected North America in Japan console sales really weren't affected by it. The NES actually launched there on July 15 1983. In Europe the majority of gamers played their games on PC's instead of consoles and the crash didn't affect PC gaming in Europe.

Consoles were super niche in Japan before NES/Famicon, so it revived the market in America and put it on the map in Japan.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ka-pi96 said:
Puppyroach said:
The NES, Xbox or Dreamcast. My trouble with deciding is this:

Nes: Kickstarted the video game industry, have us the standard for control pads, revolutionized and even invented game genres and was highly succesful.
Dreamcast: Revolutionized online gaming with Phantasy star Online. Also, came with internet adapter, and even a second screen on the controller with a VMU. Also, experimented with new and weird game genres.
Xbox; Having a harddrive changed gaming forever. Also, made online popular and a standard for gaming going forward. Through Bungie, made fps mainstream within console gaming.

You don't think Activision and COD deserve any credit for that?

Also, Goldeneye and Perfect Dark say hello. The N64 in general was a FPS monster.  On topic: I won't jump into this debate head first. There's a handful of legit contenders. NES and PSX would be my front runners, with some 2600 and Dreamcast love.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."