By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which is the most significant (important) console in history?

Which is the most important console ever?

Atari 2600 119 6.86%

NES 806 46.48%

SNES 109 6.29%

Sega Genesis 25 1.44%

N64 54 3.11%

PSX 303 17.47%

XBox 14 0.81%

PS2 225 12.98%

XB360 20 1.15%

Other - please explain 59 3.40%

Total:1,734

Definitely the NES IMO.

Yes, it brought the NA home gaming industry back with a bang and really established the 3rd party business model but its biggest achievement to me is that there were so many elements of game design that became standards on the NES thanks to games like SMB and Zelda.

Around the Network

PS1 and PS2 were pretty significant game changers to the video game industry.

But this is about the single most influential console so I have to go with the NES.

It's basically two systems.
NES, made gaming a real mass market and showed that consoles can have success for years, games be multi million sellers. Think about the fact that computers still were pretty niche back then compared to today.

PS1, it was basically THE system that brought video games to a more mature audience and let the gaming industry grow up, for better and worse.

NES, easily.

It outlined the purpose of a console and it's followed a similar pattern in terms of gaming to this day. Who knows, maybe if the NES didn't exist we may only get arcade style games in the vain of Pac-Man.

It's shared between the Atari 2600 and NES

Around the Network
HoloDust said:
monocle_layton said:
NES

any other console wouldn't even exist if it didn't save the gaming industry.

That's rather NA centric point of view.

Europe and the rest of the world were not affected by crash, actually compared to NA, Europe didn't care that much for consoles until PS1.

That said, as someone who, for the last 35+ years of gaming, prefers having good 3rd parties over anything any platform holder can offer, I'd go with PS1.

But 3rd parties really got popular on home consoles with the NES it also was the first console that started 2nd party development with Rare making games for the NES.

NES

the original Game Boy (green/black). even my father played tetris. so many faszinating games. i got it when i was 11 and bought all systems ever since.

NES, this console saved the game industry.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

The NES definitely. There were better consoles certainly, but they owe their health to the NES rebuilding a damaged market.