By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which is the most significant (important) console in history?

Which is the most important console ever?

Atari 2600 119 6.86%

NES 806 46.48%

SNES 109 6.29%

Sega Genesis 25 1.44%

N64 54 3.11%

PSX 303 17.47%

XBox 14 0.81%

PS2 225 12.98%

XB360 20 1.15%

Other - please explain 59 3.40%

Total:1,734

PS1 or PS2. Saved the gaming market and third party devs.

Around the Network

Magnavox Odyssey.

This list will be pointless if there are no console to begin with.

A handheld gamer only (for now).

Nintendo Entertainment System

Playstation and Xbox 360 created the modern gaming landscape as we know it. So I guess those where the most important for the way we game these days.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

1. NES (Basicly shaping the industry as we know it, both on a business level and technology level)
2. Wii (Introduced gaming to a whole new market, changed gaming from being for nerds, to being for everybody. Gaming on smart devices might not exist to the extent it does today, had it not been for the Wii and DS. Introduced new types of experiences for gaming)
3. Gameboy (Created the handheld market)
4. Nintendo DS (Did the same as the Wii. Introduced touch screen for handheld gaming)
5. Sony Playstation (Had a big influence on the industry as a whole and the types of games we see today)
6. Atari 2600 (Introduced a lot of things to the gaming industry, though I don't think it's impact was as lasting as for some of the others)
7. Microsoft Xbox (Set the blueprint for the hardware architechture we see in current consoles, attracted PC-only developers to consoles and made the first truly successful online service)
8. Sega Genesis (Influenced the marketing stragegies of the industry a lot)
9. Nintendo 64 (Introduced a lot of assets of the modern controller and had some of the most influential 3D games)
10. Sony Playstation 2 (Was the first to push consoles as a multimedia device)

Around the Network

Most likely the NES, which saved and/or revived the industry, with in second place being the gameboy, which created a whole new segment in it.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Aeolus451 said:
PS1 or PS2. Saved the gaming market and third party devs.

No and No.  Home consoles where already hugly popular during the fourth generation.  As for third party console games those first appeared on the 2600 and already where as popular as first party titles on the NES especially in Japan with Dragon Quest.

PS2. It was the console that made gaming as popular as it is today.

monocle_layton said:
NES

any other console wouldn't even exist if it didn't save the gaming industry.

That's rather NA centric point of view.

Europe and the rest of the world were not affected by crash, actually compared to NA, Europe didn't care that much for consoles until PS1.

That said, as someone who, for the last 35+ years of gaming, prefers having good 3rd parties over anything any platform holder can offer, I'd go with PS1.

I'd say it's between Atari 2600, NES and PS1. I don't think any other console can claim triumphs on the level of those three. Not the PS2, not the XBox and no SEGA console either. The Odyssey though obviously has it's place as an honorable mention for it being the first.

I'd give it to the NES though. While the Atari 2600 basically 'made' the industry, was the pioneer, it also killed it. The PS1 made gaming huge and mainstream, made it what it is at present and was the first console to really excite Europe. A huge laurel to claim, but still it seems to me like the NES's innovations, the way it revived the industry in America and as it was the vessel through which the industry started many standards and gameplay features, companies and gaming series we still know today, is the most important feat.

So, NES.