By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which is the most significant (important) console in history?

Which is the most important console ever?

Atari 2600 119 6.86%

NES 806 46.48%

SNES 109 6.29%

Sega Genesis 25 1.44%

N64 54 3.11%

PSX 303 17.47%

XBox 14 0.81%

PS2 225 12.98%

XB360 20 1.15%

Other - please explain 59 3.40%

Total:1,734
Chris Hu said:
Aeolus451 said:

No, they weren't. It was considered a childish hobby by most people and most of the games were kid games during nintend's reign. Playstation consoles broke sales records that nintendo and the rest dreamt of but couldn't do the vast majority of the time. Playstation home consoles pushed the gaming market into what it is. Third party devs were able to sell record breaking boat loads of games thanks to the success of playstation consoles. 

LOL, the SNES and Genesis already had a ton of games not aimed at kids you have no clue what you are talking about.

They didn't have a ton of games like that. Most of their games were made for kids. There's nothing wrong with that, though. Gaming was considered a kid's hobby for a very long time and video game companies didn't realize the potential places the market could head to. Think what you want about what I posted. I don't really care what you in particular think.

Around the Network

No doubt, NES. Without the NES who knows where the videogame industry would be as of now. I'm not saying it wouldnt exist, or that only Nintendo could have done that; but it was Nintendo with the NES that Saved the industry, and from then on we all know what happened.

Ganoncrotch said:
I've very shocked to see so many people voting for the PSX I doubted that many users on here would have known about that console let alone think it was the most important thing in history.... over the NES? what the hell, that's nuts, but I guess people are strange.

This is a PSX btw, it is not a playstation one
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_(digital_video_recorder)

PlayStation at first was called PSX.

"In 2000, a redesigned, slim version called the PS one was released, replacing the original grey console and named appropriately to avoid confusion with its successor, the PlayStation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_(console)

1 NES

2 Playstation

3 Gameboy

NES, you can't change history baby.

Around the Network

Tough to pick between NES and 2600 but I think I'd go with 2600 because of how much it popularized at-home video games.

Ka-pi96 said:
Puppyroach said:
The NES, Xbox or Dreamcast. My trouble with deciding is this:

Nes: Kickstarted the video game industry, have us the standard for control pads, revolutionized and even invented game genres and was highly succesful.
Dreamcast: Revolutionized online gaming with Phantasy star Online. Also, came with internet adapter, and even a second screen on the controller with a VMU. Also, experimented with new and weird game genres.
Xbox; Having a harddrive changed gaming forever. Also, made online popular and a standard for gaming going forward. Through Bungie, made fps mainstream within console gaming.

You don't think Activision and COD deserve any credit for that?

They did continue that legacy in a great way but Halo was the first to do everything just right, from the controls too multiplayer, regenerating health, enemy ai and so on.

And yes, I loved Goldeneye on the N64, but it lacked the dual twin stick layout on one controller that would become the standard for playing any fps on console and make them truly enjoyable.

Ganoncrotch said:
I've very shocked to see so many people voting for the PSX I doubted that many users on here would have known about that console let alone think it was the most important thing in history.... over the NES? what the hell, that's nuts, but I guess people are strange.

Why are ppl so ignorant of this? The original playstation was called "psx" for many years. It was just a nickname. Young gamers probably wouldn't know that though. It was only called ps1 after the ps2 was announced to differentiate the two. The psx system you linked, which weirdly Sony named after the nickname the ps1 went by for many years, is the ps2 hybrid system released in 2003. 

UltimateGamer1982 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Why are ppl so ignorant of this? The original playstation was called "psx" for many years. It was just a nickname. Young gamers probably wouldn't know that though. It was only called ps1 after the ps2 was announced to differentiate the two. The psx system you linked, which weirdly Sony named after the nickname the ps1 went by for many years, is the ps2 hybrid system released in 2003. 

I thought of it as playstation until PS2 came out then I started to think of it as PS1.

The poll speaks for itself.