By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which is the most significant (important) console in history?

Which is the most important console ever?

Atari 2600 119 6.86%

NES 806 46.48%

SNES 109 6.29%

Sega Genesis 25 1.44%

N64 54 3.11%

PSX 303 17.47%

XBox 14 0.81%

PS2 225 12.98%

XB360 20 1.15%

Other - please explain 59 3.40%

Total:1,734

By significant, I mean the one that had the most impact on the industry/hobby of gaming.   You may prefer the word important to significant.  The criteria are your own, of course.  Sales may or may not be part of that significance.  In the poll, I've included every system that I figure has any chance of being considered the most significant.  

Around the Network

Ps1 or ps2

I haven't voted yet. I'm torn between Atari 260, NES, and PSX.

Atari 2600 was the system that proved that a significant market existed for video games in the home.

NES was the system that made gaming ubiquitous.

PSX ushered in 3D graphics, and was the first significant console released by non-gaming focus company. Without the success of PSX, I doubt that we would have MS in the industry now. Without Sony and MS, the gaming world would be a really different place.

NES

any other console wouldn't even exist if it didn't save the gaming industry.

monocle_layton said:
NES

any other console wouldn't even exist if it didn't save the gaming industry.

I agree with this statement.  However, the same logic could be applied to Atari - "Any other console wouldn't even exist, if Atari 2600 didn't create (prove the significance of?) the industry"

Around the Network

nes

made games great again..

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Nintendo brought back the video game industry  from the financial ruin and crappy quality it was in at the time with the NES and an iron fist. Then PS1 opened up the market for more people, developers and new types of games.

.- -... -.-. -..

NES & Game Boy.

The NES

That being said the crash of 83 really only affected North America in Japan console sales really weren't affected by it. The NES actually launched there on July 15 1983. In Europe the majority of gamers played their games on PC's instead of consoles and the crash didn't affect PC gaming in Europe.

Chris Hu said:
The NES

That being said the crash of 83 really only affected North America in Japan console sales really weren't affected by it. The NES actually launched there on July 15 1983. In Europe the majority of gamers played their games on PC's instead of consoles and the crash didn't affect PC gaming in Europe.

Good point. Who knows what would have happened if PC games filled that vacuum instead of Nintendo. Though I'd argue that without Nintendo, Japanese games and developers (maybe even anime?) wouldn't have been as popular or successful in the 80s or 90s in the west. 

.- -... -.-. -..