By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - There will be PS5

The PS5 games will run on PS4 Pro at lower res, while the OG PS4 will not run the games. The pro will not have any exclusive games because the PS5 will also run them when the old models will not.

They can talk all of the PR they want, I am still calling it now.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
I'll tell you what DID happen. The whole Pro model, mid gen thing? It's going to hurt the PS5 big time when it launches because lots of people are going to hold off for the PS5 Pro model. So unless Sony comes out and says "there will be no PS5 Pro", they're kind of screwed. Hopefully they do that.

PS can solve that problem for the gamers who don't want to, or don't feel compelled to upgrade to PS5. 4k is an easy way.

A. They could make all new PS5 games 4k/60fps and explain that certain devs went out of their way to make full use of the PS5 hardware and so these games could only run at 1080p/30fps on PS4 Pro at best with super slow load times.

B. They could create a $399 PS5 console with future proof CPU+RAM and swappable GPU that can be upgraded every so often for $100-$200 (every other year?).

C. They could create a $349 PS5 and $499 PS5 Pro at launch and have both do 60fps, but PS5 runs 4k medium settings and PS5 Pro runs 4k ultra. Both run wireless PSVR2 but PS5 Pro is the best experience.

Each of these options would most certainly entice gamers to upgrade. Some still wouldn't, and some could be upset by one or more of these potential outcomes. As long as PS said you could play PS5 games on PS4 Pro but they wouldn't be 4k, only 1080p, then you really wouldn't be able to complain.

Lawlight said:
vivster said:

Can't wait. They're gonna release a console 3 times as powerful as the Pro that plays all the same games as the OG ps4 does and then call it PS5. And then we will have fanboys arguing if Sony is allowed to call it PS5 because it technically has no exclusives.

I think it will play all PS4 games but the reverse won't happen.

Wouldn't it be cool if it did though? That would mean nobody is forced to buy yet another $400 piece of plastic just to play the latest games. Would be a really nice move by Sony.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

2020 and if its more powerfull then my current pc I'll buy it

Twitter @CyberMalistix

thismeintiel said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
I'll tell you what DID happen. The whole Pro model, mid gen thing? It's going to hurt the PS5 big time when it launches because lots of people are going to hold off for the PS5 Pro model. So unless Sony comes out and says "there will be no PS5 Pro", they're kind of screwed. Hopefully they do that.

Highly doubtful.  A lot of the people who jumped onto the Pro are upgraders.  That type always wants the best of a certain product, as long as its price isn't nuts.  Those same people are going to want to upgrade to the PS5, as well.  And gamers, in general, always get excited by new HW.

The mid-gen upgrades sure haven't hurt Nintendo.  Sure, theirs isn't quite a leap, but they have done it with every single handheld they have come out with.  GBC.  GBA SP.  DSi.  New 3DS.  Hell, those have even more reason to wait for, as they have a couple of exclusives for them the base HW can't play, where the Pro just plays the same games.

Comparing (in some cases) a sub-100 dollar portable to a full home console is dubious at best. I stand by what I said. The Pro thing is bad for business. Why buy a PS5 when in 2-3 years, the REAL PS5 will launch? Just hold onto your PS4 a little longer. It'll happen if Sony doesn't state that a Pro model won't be happening again.

Around the Network

Who said that it wont be? Sure it will be a PS5.

AlfredoTurkey said:
thismeintiel said:

Highly doubtful.  A lot of the people who jumped onto the Pro are upgraders.  That type always wants the best of a certain product, as long as its price isn't nuts.  Those same people are going to want to upgrade to the PS5, as well.  And gamers, in general, always get excited by new HW.

The mid-gen upgrades sure haven't hurt Nintendo.  Sure, theirs isn't quite a leap, but they have done it with every single handheld they have come out with.  GBC.  GBA SP.  DSi.  New 3DS.  Hell, those have even more reason to wait for, as they have a couple of exclusives for them the base HW can't play, where the Pro just plays the same games.

Comparing (in some cases) a sub-100 dollar portable to a full home console is dubious at best. I stand by what I said. The Pro thing is bad for business. Why buy a PS5 when in 2-3 years, the REAL PS5 will launch? Just hold onto your PS4 a little longer. It'll happen if Sony doesn't state that a Pro model won't be happening again.

It's disingenuous to say 2-3 years, the Pro came out in 3 years, not 2.

"Just hold onto your PS4 a little longer"

It's also disingenuous to say "a little longer", 3 years is a long ass time, half a gen, why wait another 3 when you can wait 6 years and jump straight to PS6!

Considering Pro only make up 20% of systems sold since November last year, they will be fine and sell shitload of PS5s. I bet the day 1 PS5 buyers will even be Pro owners, hardcore people who want the latest graphics and nothing more.

It's going to be a dynamic 4k/30fps console I guarantee it. With great graphics this time though, so for everyone expectin to get a 60fps console prepare to be dissapointed in 3 to 4 years.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Turkish said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

It's disingenuous to say 2-3 years, the Pro came out in 3 years, not 2.

"Just hold onto your PS4 a little longer"

It's also disingenuous to say "a little longer", 3 years is a long ass time, half a gen, why wait another 3 when you can wait 6 years and jump straight to PS6!

Considering Pro only make up 20% of systems sold since November last year, they will be fine and sell shitload of PS5s. I bet the day 1 PS5 buyers will even be Pro owners, hardcore people who want the latest graphics and nothing more.

Theres no doubt if a PS5 came out tomorrow I would get one, but I also am prepared to wait. Especially if they can bring a console that is significantly improved *and* is backwards compatible. I'm buying a lot of games these days and really want to be able to play them on any PS5 device and not have to keep swapping devices like I did with the PS3/PS4.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

AlfredoTurkey said:
thismeintiel said:

I don't think I'm the one being dubious.  First, those ealier systems are all above $100 if you include inflation.  Second, it's more important to compare the prices of the OG HW to the upgraded SKUs.  Why buy a $100-$150 system, when in 2-3 years the i or New will be coming out, and it actually has games you can't play on the base HW.  Wait for the new one and you can play them all.

And last, but most important, you are focusing on the old consoles.  What about the newer ones, and therefore Nintendo's new track record?  The DSi XL launched for $170.  The New 3DS XL launched for $200.  Seems like the prices are continuing to go up.  How much can we expect a Switch+ to launch for?  $225?  $250?  Maybe even the original $300? 

Like I said, it hasn't hurt Nintendo.  And for Nintendo's, and their fans', sake they better hope that continues.