By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - There will be PS5

10-12 TFlops, 16-24gb Ram and a MUCH better CPU.

Hopefully the big CPU improvement will allow 60fps to be pretty much standard, but you know developers will yet again strive after shiny shiny effects at the expense of frame rate.

Around the Network

Do not care about 4k, but it should be backward compatible with PS4 games.

Hell to the yes!

It'll likely be backwards compatible.

The question is whether they'll release a PS5 Pro at launch (given fans know it will come and may hold off becuase of it), and if they do, do they release a PS5 Super Pro later?

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

spurgeonryan said:
I cannot even afford the PS4 or PS4 pro let alone buy another Sony console that I have not time to play or money to spend on it.

Same here. More a problem of personal investment than monetary investment. I would buy a ps4 for MH, eventually play alien isolation, and other IPs I've never played.

Solid-Stark said:
Hell to the yes!

The question is whether they'll release a PS5 Pro at launch (given fans know it will come and may hold off becuase of it), and if they do, do they release a PS5 Super Pro later?

The PS4Pro and Xbox One X in my opinion are only there to allow for 4K or Pseudo-4K gaming and thats it.

I see no reason why Sony would release a PS5 and a PS5Pro especially at the same time.  Yes it's understandable why they would release an update a few years into the cycle, but this should only matter if there is the need.

Like others have said before, we should be looking at a 2019/2020 PS5 release date.  It SHOULD be backwards compatible with the PS4 and we should expect a serious CPU upgrade; something that will easily allow 60FPS etc.  There should be enough horsepower to show better visuals at 4K native with 60fps if required.  And seeing as we have seen us moving from 1.8TF in 2013 to 4.2TF in 2016 and now 6TF in late 2017, surely we should be expecting over 10TF within the next 3 years.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:
Hell to the yes!

Honestly I think there's more people that would be the PS5 at launch and then double dip for a Pro than those that would hold off for a future Pro version.

Pro just seems to be aimed entirely at the "want the latest and best hardware" crowd and I don't really see them holding off on PS5 in any great number for that reason.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

davygee said:
Solid-Stark said:
Hell to the yes!

The PS4Pro and Xbox One X in my opinion are only there to allow for 4K or Pseudo-4K gaming and thats it.

I see no reason why Sony would release a PS5 and a PS5Pro especially at the same time.  Yes it's understandable why they would release an update a few years into the cycle, but this should only matter if there is the need.

Like others have said before, we should be looking at a 2019/2020 PS5 release date.  It SHOULD be backwards compatible with the PS4 and we should expect a serious CPU upgrade; something that will easily allow 60FPS etc.  There should be enough horsepower to show better visuals at 4K native with 60fps if required.  And seeing as we have seen us moving from 1.8TF in 2013 to 4.2TF in 2016 and now 6TF in late 2017, surely we should be expecting over 10TF within the next 3 years.

If PS had launched PS4 Pro for $499 at the same time as PS4, they would have gotten another $100 out of a lot of gamers. Instead, people like my friends and I, have PS4's and won't be upgrading to Pro. If they were to launch PS5 and PS5 Pro at the same time, instead of having a 5:1 sales ratio like PS4 to PS4 Pro now, you would probably get something more like 5:2 or 5:3 for PS5 to PS5 Pro, and that's from launch.

There is also the fact that while PS4 and PS4 Pro are similar, there are some differences in the architecture and API, etc, that is a hassle and makes more work for devs, leading to poorer support. By making both PS5 and PS5 Pro at the same time, the architecture and API can basically be the same, making it much easier for devs. Add to that, many more people buying the PS5 Pro due to its availability at launch, and now its much more worth it for devs to properly support both consoles. Which in turn, also makes purchasing a PS5 Pro more worth it for future customers since its getting full support.

If PS could hit $499 for PS5 Pro at launch, and make PS5 $349-$399, their sales would probably be even stronger than they were for PS4. If PS is sticking with separate hardware and non upgradable consoles (except the HDD/SSD), then I would say this is the better approach. It's more money up front to design and build them both for launch, but it should pay off as fast or faster than PS4 has.

Ka-pi96 said:
Mar1217 said:
2019 announcement, 2020 holiday release.

Why would they screw up their PS4 2019 holiday sales by annoucing a successor when they could announce and release in the same year?

Exactly, which is what they did with PS4. announced it late Feb and release in October. I assume he didn't think it through. 

PS4(PS5 Soon)and PC gaming

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Reading through superchunk 200 page prediction thread about xbox one and ps4, nobody was able to guess the ps4 spec. So I assume everyone will be wrong again about ps5.

But I will try anyway for fun :)

- 4 core zen cpu, it will be zen2 the newest architecture. Won't be a 8 core cpu reason for this is 8 core has a die size of 190mm2. It is just way to big even 4 core seems abit to big. Other reason is 4 core is cheaper and will be able to clock higher than 8 core in a small package.

- Midrange nvidia gpu, the architecture will be whatever comes after volta. Expect around 11 Tf and around 1080 ti performance. The reason I put nvidia is just that Amd gpus are just falling so far behind Nvidia that Sony and Microsoft will have no choice but to go nvidia next gen.

- 16 gb of ram. Ram pricing is just not dropping so I assume anything more will be to expensive. Maybe we see 24gb.

- 2tb non ssd drive. I just don't believe ssd prices will drop enough and even if it did Sony still probably go with 2 tb mechanical drive.

Price 399$ released 2020 oct-nov. 2019 possible as 7nm will be ready by than. But 2020 is more probable for numerable reasons.

Bad news is, NO backward compability.

Edit: Forgot, expect pretty much all AAA games to be 4k checkerboard rendering. The performance gain from using checkerboard is just to big (around 100 %). So I expect pretty much 0 new AAA games use native 4k in ps5. And still 30 fps, but will probably see more 60 fps games because of a improved cpu.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

caffeinade said:

Hopefully we can get the PS5 in 2018, we need to stop limiting our games to the jaguar.

It won't happen as the new AMD APU would be too new and expensive.