By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - There will be PS5

Ka-pi96 said:
Mar1217 said:
2019 announcement, 2020 holiday release.

Why would they screw up their PS4 2019 holiday sales by annoucing a successor when they could announce and release in the same year?

Exactly, which is what they did with PS4. announced it late Feb and release in October. I assume he didn't think it through. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

Reading through superchunk 200 page prediction thread about xbox one and ps4, nobody was able to guess the ps4 spec. So I assume everyone will be wrong again about ps5.

But I will try anyway for fun :)

- 4 core zen cpu, it will be zen2 the newest architecture. Won't be a 8 core cpu reason for this is 8 core has a die size of 190mm2. It is just way to big even 4 core seems abit to big. Other reason is 4 core is cheaper and will be able to clock higher than 8 core in a small package.

- Midrange nvidia gpu, the architecture will be whatever comes after volta. Expect around 11 Tf and around 1080 ti performance. The reason I put nvidia is just that Amd gpus are just falling so far behind Nvidia that Sony and Microsoft will have no choice but to go nvidia next gen.

- 16 gb of ram. Ram pricing is just not dropping so I assume anything more will be to expensive. Maybe we see 24gb.

- 2tb non ssd drive. I just don't believe ssd prices will drop enough and even if it did Sony still probably go with 2 tb mechanical drive.

Price 399$ released 2020 oct-nov. 2019 possible as 7nm will be ready by than. But 2020 is more probable for numerable reasons.

Bad news is, NO backward compability.

Edit: Forgot, expect pretty much all AAA games to be 4k checkerboard rendering. The performance gain from using checkerboard is just to big (around 100 %). So I expect pretty much 0 new AAA games use native 4k in ps5. And still 30 fps, but will probably see more 60 fps games because of a improved cpu.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

caffeinade said:

Hopefully we can get the PS5 in 2018, we need to stop limiting our games to the jaguar.

It won't happen as the new AMD APU would be too new and expensive.

thismeintiel said:
Mar1217 said:

You really do think that we will get a 12TF with a uber GPU and 18GB ram machine this soon (likely 2 years from now) ? Prepare yourself to be disappointed or straight up be exploited.

I think you're the one who's going to be disappointed if you think we won't.  Most likely not the 18 GB of RAM, as 16GB is more realistic, but the GPU will definitely be ~12 Tflops.  AMD's new Vega 10 is 12.5 Tflops, which I think is realistically what Sony will put in the PS5.  There's even a shot that they put a 15 Tflops Vega 20 in it, if it's out in time and cheap enough by the time the PS5 launches.

In two years they could probably get an Epyc chip in the PS5 if it gets a die shrink by then. 16GB Ram will be minimum, I would also speculate a 500GB Solid state drive as standard as well. 2 years is a long time. Biggest issue will be keeping the price at $499.

Trumpstyle said:

Reading through superchunk 200 page prediction thread about xbox one and ps4, nobody was able to guess the ps4 spec. So I assume everyone will be wrong again about ps5.

- 4 core zen cpu, it will be zen2 the newest architecture. Won't be a 8 core cpu reason for this is 8 core has a die size of 190mm2. It is just way to big even 4 core seems abit to big. Other reason is 4 core is cheaper and will be able to clock higher than 8 core in a small package.

- Midrange nvidia gpu, the architecture will be whatever comes after volta. Expect around 11 Tf and around 1080 ti performance. The reason I put nvidia is just that Amd gpus are just falling so far behind Nvidia that Sony and Microsoft will have no choice but to go nvidia next gen.

- 16 gb of ram. Ram pricing is just not dropping so I assume anything more will be to expensive. Maybe we see 24gb.

- 2tb non ssd drive. I just don't believe ssd prices will drop enough and even if it did Sony still probably go with 2 tb mechanical drive.

Price 399$ released 2020 oct-nov. 2019 possible as 7nm will be ready by than. But 2020 is more probable for numerable reasons.

Edit: Forgot, expect pretty much all AAA games to be 4k checkerboard rendering. The performance gain from using checkerboard is just to big (around 100 %). So I expect pretty much 0 new AAA games use native 4k in ps5. And still 30 fps, but will probably see more 60 fps games because of a improved cpu.

LOL. Not quite. AMD is doing just fine with the new Vega line.

Around the Network
Akeos said:
Ps5 will be a VR console, thinking for VR... Selling with PlayStation VR 2... It will be ps4 games compatability.

That'd be like thinking Kinect had selling power for the Xbox One.  VR still needs a few generations before it goes mainstream if at all. 

Superman4 said:
Trumpstyle said:

LOL. Not quite. AMD is doing just fine with the new Vega line.

We see, I believe Amd Vega gpu will be a total disaster. Even worse than polaris architecture. Than I'm talking energy effiency and performance per die size.

So far everything indicates that.

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

Trumpstyle said:

Sounds more like a higher end PS4 model to me. Not enough extra oomph to deliver a next gen expereince. If this is all they could deliver in 2019 or 2020, then I think they should just call it PS4 _____. Save the PlayStation 5 branding until they can deliver a device worthy of the title, and something that can deliver a real evolution in some way or another. Just my take on though, but props if this turns out to be close or on the money.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
Trumpstyle said:

Sounds more like a higher end PS4 model to me. Not enough extra oomph to deliver a next gen expereince. If this is all they could deliver in 2019 or 2020, then I think they should just call it PS4 _____. Save the PlayStation 5 branding until they can deliver a device worthy of the title, and something that can deliver a real evolution in some way or another. Just my take on though, but props if this turns out to be close or on the money.

Haha what really? What I posted is a total monster console :). This console will do insane graphics and you wanna call it ps4+???

Lawlight said:
caffeinade said:

Hopefully we can get the PS5 in 2018, we need to stop limiting our games to the jaguar.

It won't happen as the new AMD APU would be too new and expensive.

Newness has little to do with the cost.
We also don't know if they will be using a APU next time 'round.