By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your list of gaming priorities, how high are graphics on the list?

I think ps4 and Xbox one are last big console generation because not a lot of people care about graphics

Around the Network

Who was unimpressed with Scorpio's graphics? All of the in-game footage looked incredible (especially Metro and Anthem). The complaints were just that not enough of the games were exclusive. And that the focus should be framerate (but thats up to developers, not the Scorpio).

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

1. Gameplay
2. Gameplay
3. Gameplay
4. Boobs
5. Everything else
98. grfxxx

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Realism would be on the bottom of the list..well actually well buried somewhere in the basement. Art direction is important to me tho. Gameplay matters most and music and art direction are close together. Art direction has the slight edge but I have been known to buy a OST CD or listen to a OST even if I don't like the game.

Story = Gameplay > Art > Graphics = Music

Around the Network

Performance very high
Art direction high
Image quality medium-to-high
Detail medium

1. Gameplay (which includes controls, story etc etc)
2. Art style
3. Music / Sound
4. Performance
5. Resolution / Graphics

Gameplay is the top priority. Functionality being second. Graphics can take third.

Ill take an ugly game like Hand of Fate over The Order any day of the week, thanks.

With all those people valuing gameplay so much one would think devs would be gladly granting us 60fps.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

This isn't just a simple list. The whole package must be all-right. See for an example Tokyo MIrage Sessions #FE (what a title) which I started playing recently. I have a lot too criticize. The story is ridiculous, the non-dungeon areas don't allow me free camera, many of the side-stories are cut-scene rich, boring and overly ridiculous. I sitting there waiting then I can get on with the real play. And I have to do the side-stories, in order to progress my characters. Character progress in on rails too, I can't change much about the abilities of the characters, I can only miss out on certain abilities, if I don't do the side-stories. And I lost hours of progress and had to go through side-stories again, because I lost a fight with a savage - why no autosave at certain points? This all is bad. And then you have a few goods: one of the best (if not the best) fighting systems in turn-based role-playing, a great art-style, interesting monsters and areas in the dungeons (non-dungeon areas are boring as hell) and the patented Atlus-design for dungeon-levels which is extremely great. Overall it seems the bad outweighs the good, but I love the game. So it is not alone about points you check, it is how well it works together.

But some points are usually more important than others. I'm an old gamer. I know games that had mind-blowing graphic back then, and nobody wants to play them today. I learned graphics might sell games now, but they don't contribute much to a lasting gaming experience. My rule is: if I like a game still, if it is five years old, then it is fine. Artstyle stays, even if the graphic gets old. I read books and watch movies - video-game stories are comparatively extremely shallow. A good story might contribute, and even better a story might click well with art-style and gameplay which fells round, but a story alone never decides the quality of a game for me. Gameplay is very important, but good gameplay alone makes not for a good experience, if the background isn't there.

So I cannot make a list.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]