By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your list of gaming priorities, how high are graphics on the list?

vivster said:
With all those people valuing gameplay so much one would think devs would be gladly granting us 60fps.

Gameplay isnt just how smoothly something runs.

Its also stuff like you enjoy the combat mechanics, the game systems, the genre is one you like, crafting/looting ect ect.

Which probably matters more than fps.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
vivster said:
With all those people valuing gameplay so much one would think devs would be gladly granting us 60fps.

Its also stuff like you enjoy the combat mechanics, the game systems, the genre is one you like, crafting/looting ect ect.

Fps matters more the lower it gets which shows how big of a factor it is for gameplay.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Depends on the type of game really. There is no simple ranking scale. At times different aspects can all be equal to the experience needed to achieve a certain out come.

vivster said:
JRPGfan said:

Fps matters more the lower it gets which shows how big of a factor it is for gameplay.

I disagree. A racer or fighter needs high fps for gameplay rasons. A turn-based RPG like Bravely Default or Etrian Odyssey on the other hand can have shitty fps without hurting the game much. Your fixation on fps really only shows your prevalence for some genres over others. Which is fine for you, but you shouldn't assume that has the same relevance for all gamers.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I'll re-arrange your list then. It's highly dependant on the game genre, but generally speaking, it'd be something like this.

#01 - Enjoyable Gameplay Mechanics
#02 - Comfortable Controls
#03 - Interesting Game World/Level Design
#04 - Enjoyable Difficulty Level
#05 - Great Art Direction
#06 - Great Music and Sound Effects
#07 - Optional split-screen gameplay
#08 - No Severe Slowdowns (I'm guessing minor slowdowns, not playing like 50% of the game at 15 fps xD)
#09 - Very Short Load Screens/No installs (preferably less than 3 seconds
#10 - Great Replayability/Post Game Content/Unlockables/Secrets/etc.
#11 - Enjoyable Story
#12 - Higher Graphical Fidelity
#13 - Higher Resolution
#14 - Excellent User Interface

Around the Network

I don't have it in my list of gaming priorities at all. I don't care about graphics as long as the game is enjoyable.

In all honesty I think lists like these are pointless and infantile in a way (similary how I used to categorize my favorite cartoons back in the days). I pretty much decide per game if I like them.

Ex: I simply love how good Horizon looks and in the gameplay department its no slouch either. Personally I would most definitely feel that it would be an inferior game if it would look like Monster Hunter. The high level of detail managed to have a huge impact on immersion.

Counter Strike GO is ugly as hell (and it was ugly when it launched IMO) yet its still a fun multiplayer time waster for me. Yet even if it looks photo realistic, IMO it wouldn't really add a whole lot for its entertainment value.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Mnementh said:
vivster said:

I disagree. A racer or fighter needs high fps for gameplay rasons. A turn-based RPG like Bravely Default or Etrian Odyssey on the other hand can have shitty fps without hurting the game much. Your fixation on fps really only shows your prevalence for some genres over others. Which is fine for you, but you shouldn't assume that has the same relevance for all gamers.

I never said anything about genres. When I talk about fps it's for games that need it. For example I don't really mind the shitty FPS DQXI will have.

Still, the vast majority of games improve their gameplay with fps above 30.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Excellent graphics won't make a bad game good, but they could make a good game great.

vivster said:
Mnementh said:

I never said anything about genres. When I talk about fps it's for games that need it. For example I don't really mind the shitty FPS DQXI will have.

Still, the vast majority of games improve their gameplay with fps above 30.

Well, basically no game gets worse if fps improve (same with loaing screens), but there are some games which are clearly become a bad experience with frame drops. Still, I don't agree the vast majority needs the high fps. In my gaming library is a lot of slow turn-base stuff - because I like that. We may hold different views on which games are the 'vast majority'. For this case, I also don't hold any reservations against indie games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]