By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: We want all the high-quality third party games

I feel 2018 will be a better year for 3rd parties. Just put yourself in their shoes, 1-2 years ago the Wii U was selling like shit and they had no idea the Switch would do like it's doing now. Of course nothing was put into development. Just be patient people, Nintendo alone has us covered for this year.

Around the Network

“We want every high-quality game to have an opportunity to be played on Nintendo Switch,"

He's talking about high-quality games. Which excludes 95 % of third party games on the market.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

vivster said:
I also want a lot of things. That's why I don't release hardware that 3rd parties don't like.

There's no "like" in a business world. They just don't see money to be made. Falsely imo, but that's what it is.

OdinHades said:

“We want every high-quality game to have an opportunity to be played on Nintendo Switch,"

He's talking about high-quality games. Which excludes 95 % of third party games on the market.

Typical Nintendo fanboy defense mode. I used to be like this too. This statement is of course plain bullshit and highly subjective. There are TONS of high quality third party games out there not coming to any Nintendo console. For example, even though I hate GTA will all my heart, I've to accept there are millions of people enjoying that crap everyday. You need to give your audience choices, LOTS of choices. Right now Switch has only a few overpriced third party games that are garbage like Bomberbam and SF2 but those games are suddenly praised into heaven. Talking about double standards much.

HintHRO said:
You can start by making a console with proper hardware.

Shove that GTX1080 in there, eh?

Around the Network
routsounmanman said:
HintHRO said:
You can start by making a console with proper hardware.

Shove that GTX1080 in there, eh?

I said proper, not unnecessary overpowered. X1 and PS4 are doing just fine at a lower price and Sony/MS gave their consumers the option to get even better hardware. Switch isn't even close to the standard X1. 

Make stronger hardware then. We would all like to see it, but you don't make it easy Reggie/Nintendo.

I think it's going to be a tough climb for them.

A few things have changed in the industry.

One I don't think third parties have the time/resources to put up with Nintendo wanting to be different from everyone else. PS4/XB1 development is taxing these studios to the max as it is, Nintendo coming in and wanting maybe customized versions just to get them to run on their system is a tough sell. A lot of devs just can't spare the resources. Look at how many PS4/XB1 projects are getting delayed as is and the ones that do make their deadlines are likely running their devs ragged.

Secondly, I think even with hardware sales success Switch is going to have to show actual sales success in genre-types that third parties focus on (shooters, adventure, sports, racing, action, fighting games). They all remember the Wii, but they all remember that on Wii the overwhelming majority of sales was crap like Just Dance and Carnival Games and then that whole bubble popped on top of itself around 2010/11. So some publishers may not be impressed just by a fast start. If FIFA has good sales, if Skyrim has good sales, if NBA 2K has good sales, then maybe I think you will see a shift in perception by the bigger publishers. 

Then make more capable hardware.

I do wonder as an aside, if Nintendo should allow at least for home play, the Switch to stream PC games from an Nvidia card (the Nvidia Shield/Tegra X1 is built to do this already).

Charge say a $8-$10 licensing fee (paid to Nintendo by the consumer), if you have a PC game, and pay an extra $8-$10, you can "activate" a version that streams to Switch with Switch centric controls/menus.

That wouldn't alleviate the problem entirely, but it would help quite a bit I think and would make Nintendo a few extra bucks. They could also control which games and how many are "Switch approved", so maybe focus on some games that would never be on Switch or are important market wise (ie: not my cup of tea, but this could be a way to sorta get a game like Grand Theft Auto VI on a Switch).