Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: We want all the high-quality third party games

OdinHades said:

That's the first time I get called a Nintendo fanboy on vgchartz! 

There should totally be an achievement for this.

Sure, why not.

You are now officially a member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. You should feel honored.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Proceeds to make underpowered hardware...kk Nintendo. That just isn't how it works. There are indeed a slew of games that can release on Switch because they fall in line with the necessary specs like Rocket League, Skyrim, Sonic Forces, etc. but there are games that are cutting edge that just won't translate well to Switch. If they want Western 3rd party support that matters, they need to keep specs in mind.

That being said, I don't think they need to do this. Nintendo as a company has enough IP to tackle entire 3rd party lineups from Sony and MS, they'll be fine. It'd be great if their upcoming consoles can support these games but for success, they aren't necessary and historically have sold rather poorly on Nintendo consoles compared to the competition. Ultimately, I want Nintendo to be Nintendo, not Sony or MS. I'll buy a PS4 or PS5 etc. along with Nintendo platforms. Each has something to offer naturally.

Just as a counter point though, was Nintendo "not Nintendo" when they were getting things like SF2, Castlevania, Final Fantasy VI, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Madden NFL, NHL, etc. back in the day?

Do you think people had problems differeniating between say a Sega Genesis and a Super Nintendo? 

Barozi said:
So far I don't see any improvement over WiiU.
Indies were always on the systems. CoD lost but FIFA gained, Injustice 2 lost but Skyrim gained, one big Monster Hunter game lost but Ultra Street Fighter II gained, Assassin's Creed lost but Steep gained etc.
Maybe next year.

I'd have to agree with this.  So far nothing has changed. 

Soundwave said:
Ljink96 said:
Proceeds to make underpowered hardware...kk Nintendo. That just isn't how it works. There are indeed a slew of games that can release on Switch because they fall in line with the necessary specs like Rocket League, Skyrim, Sonic Forces, etc. but there are games that are cutting edge that just won't translate well to Switch. If they want Western 3rd party support that matters, they need to keep specs in mind.

That being said, I don't think they need to do this. Nintendo as a company has enough IP to tackle entire 3rd party lineups from Sony and MS, they'll be fine. It'd be great if their upcoming consoles can support these games but for success, they aren't necessary and historically have sold rather poorly on Nintendo consoles compared to the competition. Ultimately, I want Nintendo to be Nintendo, not Sony or MS. I'll buy a PS4 or PS5 etc. along with Nintendo platforms. Each has something to offer naturally.

Just as a counter point though, was Nintendo "not Nintendo" when they were getting things like SF2, Castlevania, Final Fantasy VI, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Madden NFL, NHL, etc. back in the day?

Do you think people had problems differeniating between say a Sega Genesis and a Super Nintendo? 

When I say I want Nintendo to be Nintendo I mean hardware wise. And by that I mean, just do what they think would be fun. No, it might not always turn out right but that's part of the experience, learning from mistakes while being yourself and remaining yourself, that's what makes you unique. 

RolStoppable said:
HintHRO said:

Typical Nintendo fanboy defense mode. I used to be like this too. This statement is of course plain bullshit and highly subjective. There are TONS of high quality third party games out there not coming to any Nintendo console. For example, even though I hate GTA will all my heart, I've to accept there are millions of people enjoying that crap everyday. You need to give your audience choices, LOTS of choices. Right now Switch has only a few overpriced third party games that are garbage like Bomberbam and SF2 but those games are suddenly praised into heaven. Talking about double standards much.

Your post is hilarious because it's unintentionally ironic.

How can you still find unintentional irony funny after being this long on VGC?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Barozi said:
So far I don't see any improvement over WiiU.
Indies were always on the systems. CoD lost but FIFA gained, Injustice 2 lost but Skyrim gained, one big Monster Hunter game lost but Ultra Street Fighter II gained, Assassin's Creed lost but Steep gained etc.
Maybe next year.

That's because the Switch has only been on the market for 3 months. Third parties foolishly thought the Switch was going to be another Wii U, so they didn't plan on making games for it. Now that Switch is a success they will develop games for it, but these games are not far enough in development yet to be able to show off.

Switch is doing just fine as it is now though, take a look at Amazon ranking:

#2: Super Mario Odyssey

#4: Arms

#8: Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

#10: Metroid Prime 4

#12: Splatoon 2

#19: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

#20: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

#22: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

#27: Pokken Tournament

#30: Kirby

#32: Yoshi

#40: Fire Emblem Warriors

#53: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

#83: Rocket League

----------------------------------------------

Capcom probably already regrets is decision to not release Monster Hunter World on the Switch lol. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
Kerotan said:

That's because the Switch has only been on the market for 3 months. Third parties foolishly thought the Switch was going to be another Wii U, so they didn't plan on making games for it. Now that Switch is a success they will develop games for it, but these games are not far enough in development yet to be able to show off.

Capcom probably already regrets is decision to not release Monster Hunter World on the Switch lol. 

The power of the swifg is a big issue for the AAA devs. it will never get good third party support. 

vivster said:
RolStoppable said:

Your post is hilarious because it's unintentionally ironic.

How can you still find unintentional irony funny after being this long on VGC?

Some things never get old.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Kerotan said:
Alkibiádēs said:

The power of the swifg is a big issue for the AAA devs. it will never get good third party support. 

Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, Sonic Mania, Rocket League, Skyrim, Stardew Valley, Project Octopath Traveler, Shin Megami Tensei V, Dragon Quest XI, Shakedown Hawaii, Runner 3 and Rime are not good third party games then?

Sure, no Western AAA games, but those usually disappoint anyway. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
Kerotan said:

Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, Sonic Mania, Rocket League, Skyrim, Stardew Valley, Project Octopath Traveler, Shin Megami Tensei V, Dragon Quest XI, Shakedown Hawaii, Runner 3 and Rime are not good third party games then?

Sure, no Western AAA games, but those usually disappoint anyway. 

Your last line agrees with me and proves my point.  Western AAA third party is dissapointing and looks like it won't be changing anytime soon. 

Nintendo have always had decent third party support in Japan.