By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: We want all the high-quality third party games

Alkibiádēs said:
Kerotan said:

The power of the swifg is a big issue for the AAA devs. it will never get good third party support. 

Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2, Sonic Mania, Rocket League, Skyrim, Stardew Valley, Project Octopath Traveler, Shin Megami Tensei V, Dragon Quest XI, Shakedown Hawaii, Runner 3 and Rime are not good third party games then?

Sure, no Western AAA games, but those usually disappoint anyway. 

Your last line agrees with me and proves my point.  Western AAA third party is dissapointing and looks like it won't be changing anytime soon. 

Nintendo have always had decent third party support in Japan.  

Around the Network

The way I see it, third parties are on the sidelines waiting to see how long the hype is for the Switch. If the Switch sells or outsells the WiiU's 13m by this time next year I think by E3 2018 we will start seeing ports of more AAA games from third parties with some downgrades (1080p vs 720p, 30fps vs 60 fps, less shadowing and Anti-Aliasing, etc.). Due to an increased market size for the Switch to sell games on. The market size is still very small at the moment (giving less incentive to put in work in ports) for the Switch compared to even the WiiU and is imo the reason Ultra Sun and Moon isn't on the Switch (see Gamefreaks Black and White 2 explanation). 

At least until a new generation Switch is released (maybe with a Tegra X2 if/when the X3 is released by Nvidia) ala the treatment all Nintendo portables get. That should be able to run games with less compromises in visuals.

Japanese AAA support for the Switch right now is not great either.

It looks like Nintendo lost out on Monster Hunter 5 (thanks Capcom), no Resident Evil (thanks Capcom), no games like Tekken 7, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (thanks again Capcom), etc. Nothing from any Japanese dev at E3 on Switch, not even an announcement or two that would be exciting. DQXI is nice and all but 3DS and PS4 get it first, meaning most DQ fans will have played it already and thus the impact of it on Switch will be effectively neutered. 

3DS had much better Japanese support early on, I think unfortunately Japanese developers even have been moving away from Nintendo for a while now. PS4-XB1/Mobile/even Vita in some cases are given priority over 3DS/Switch.

The best third party support in the fall is going to be mainly Western stuff for Switch -- FIFA, Rocket League, NBA2K, and Skyrim. 

You know it's bad when Microsoft is supporting the Switch better than some Japanese companies. The biggest third party release on the Switch right now is honestly Minecraft. 

RolStoppable said:
Kerotan said:

Western AAA third party is dissapointing and looks like it won't be changing anytime soon. 

Truer words have never been spoken.

Meanwhile Japanese titles on the ps4 have entered a new golden era. 

Mar1217 said:
Kerotan said:

Meanwhile Japanese titles on the ps4 have entered a new golden era. 

And it'll continue on Switch soon :)

No it will continue on ps4. There are a ton of Japanese games getting released on ps4 for the rest of the year.  As if there wasn't enough already in the first half.