Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: We want all the high-quality third party games

Well, it's good that you finally decided to put the work in to get them but Sony and Microsoft have been doing that from the start and are probably still doing a better job. You don't suddenly get to say, "hey, we want to be good business partners now," and everyone cheers and rushes into your arms.

If they're serious then they'll keep trying and eventually they'll gain back the trust they lost or never built in the first place. It's going to take time, though. Game development doesn't turn on a dime.

Around the Network
b00moscone said:
maxleresistant said:
Third party games don't want to be on Switch though.

Maybe in 2018 things will be better.

*Western games, i know it's just not you but generalising 3rd parties to just western developers is irksome, especially in this case since Japanese support for the Switch is a different matter.

But yeah, kind of a no-brainer, Reggie didn't really need to state this

This is true for Japanese third party games as well for the most part. Though the generalisation is the impication that all/most of them ignore Switch. That's not the case.
What I'm refering to are announcements of Japanese games that have the PS4 and/or Xbox and PC logo on the bottom, but not the Switch logo. And that so far has been the rule rather than the exception. And while I do think it's a bit too soon to see an indication of exactly how common this will be, I don't expect it to change much.

Anyway, Reggie can say that, but they didn't create a platform where this is as easy as developers would have wanted.

They're not doing as good a job as they can in making that happen, and it's too late now.

Well, this is new.

Read.

Well duh Reggie it would be bad if you didn't want them

Nintendo says they want it but guess they don't want it bad enough because their E3 shows otherwise.

I fear this will be like the Wii U all over again.

Around the Network

We'll see how the support looks in 2018. Gaming is a business, after all. Nintendo has to move enough units to persuade publishers that more than Nintendo's core 10 million fanboys and girls are buying in. They are already convinced that we have no interest in their games (true, in some cases). If they perceive that the wider public is buying in - they'll have a harder time ignoring potential revenue.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: First Look! RetroTINK 2X Multiformat Preview - Bit-Sized, Episode 5

Hiku said:
b00moscone said:

*Western games, i know it's just not you but generalising 3rd parties to just western developers is irksome, especially in this case since Japanese support for the Switch is a different matter.

But yeah, kind of a no-brainer, Reggie didn't really need to state this

This is true for Japanese third party games as well for the most part. Though the generalisation is the impication that all/most of them ignore Switch. That's not the case.
What I'm refering to are announcements of Japanese games that have the PS4 and/or Xbox and PC logo on the bottom, but not the Switch logo. And that so far has been the rule rather than the exception. And while I do think it's a bit too soon to see an indication of exactly how common this will be, I don't expect it to change much.

Anyway, Reggie can say that, but they didn't create a platform where this is as easy as developers would have wanted.

The first you talk about i addressed in another reply, but it's certainly not as if i'm ignoring or not seeing this, i just think it's a matter of time, while with western support we pretty much know what games we're going to get, or lack thereof.

For the highlighted part though, evaluating the Switch's success in Japan and pretty much WW, i can't see Japan ignoring the Switch. Of course, Japan does have some big-scale projects and games that are running off the back of stronger hardware, but i can see some developers either making the effort to port it or making games tailor-made for it, or a multiplat game covering PS4/Switch. This isn't even mentioning that Switch will fill in the gap left by handhelds, which of course is very popular in Japan, and the 3DS and Vita over their lifetime have gotten many games from Japanese 3rd parties. No doubt will those developers move over to Switch.

NNID: b00moscone

Switch ID: SW-5475-6755-1986

3DS friend-Code: 4613-6380-5406

PSN: b00mosconi

Barozi said:
So far I don't see any improvement over WiiU.
Indies were always on the systems. CoD lost but FIFA gained, Injustice 2 lost but Skyrim gained, one big Monster Hunter game lost but Ultra Street Fighter II gained, Assassin's Creed lost but Steep gained etc.
Maybe next year.

I dont want to be a negative nelly but i wouldnt consider ports of all games a gain, especially over new ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k

b00moscone said:
Hiku said:

The first you talk about i addressed in another reply, but it's certainly not as if i'm ignoring or not seeing this, i just think it's a matter of time, while with western support we pretty much know what games we're going to get, or lack thereof.

For the highlighted part though, evaluating the Switch's success in Japan and pretty much WW, i can't see Japan ignoring the Switch. Of course, Japan does have some big-scale projects and games that are running off the back of stronger hardware, but i can see some developers either making the effort to port it or making games tailor-made for it, or a multiplat game covering PS4/Switch. This isn't even mentioning that Switch will fill in the gap left by handhelds, which of course is very popular in Japan, and the 3DS and Vita over their lifetime have gotten many games from Japanese 3rd parties. No doubt will those developers move over to Switch.

Well we have precedence for the bolded with the Wii. As immensely popular as it was, every major Japanese mainline franchise generally ignored it. There were a few exceptions, but usually the third party support wouldn't be for the main big franchises, but spin offs or specific games designed for Wii.
However, this is concerning console games. One area where I expect Switch will differ from Wii in this regard are portable titles. The would-be-3DS games, after 3DS is dead. We're going to see Phoenix Wright for Switch, and games like Bravely Default, a lower budget Kingdom Hearts, etc.
But when it comes to Japanese games that appear on home console, we'll pretty much always see the PS4 logo, but I don't know if we'll see the Switch logo on them significantly more often than for Wii or WiiU.