By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So whats with the disapointing E3 press conferences?

Has E3 been disapointing thus far?

Yes. 150 38.46%

No. 40 10.26%

Its been more than disapp... 28 7.18%

MS conference wasn't disappointing. 31 7.95%

Sony's conference wasn't disappointing. 62 15.90%

Bethesda's conference wasn't disappointing. 3 0.77%

Ubisoft's conference wasn't disappointing. 73 18.72%

EA's conference wasn't.... 3 0.77%

Total:390

both sonys and microsofts were shit, but sony wins the accolade of least shit on account of the fact that microsoft revealed a new console and yet the conference managed to be so goddamn dull that they may as well have not shown it at all.

Around the Network
Jpcc86 said:
My answer is no. And a very clear no. The only dissapointing conference so far for me has been Ms. Showed nothing. Bethesda did what I expected: keep milking the cow. EA showed what I wanted to see and Sony showed what I didnt know I wanted and now am hyped for. E3 is like that every year so its meeting expectations as far as im concerned.

Yeah, MS showed nothing; we all stared at a black screen for 90+ minutes

Microsoft showed things I wasn't interested in and I don't even have a Xbox so there's that. Sony wowed me with Monster Hunter World and Spiderman looked cool. The two things that saved E3 for me was Monster Hunter and Dragon Ball FighterZ.

So far Ubisoft was the only show worth watching. The rest I could have just watched some short clips on YouTube. With social media expanding like it has been, shows like E3 become tougher and tougher to make exciting. Also, changing from showing titles that are years out, to soon to be released, obviously leads to "reruns" kind of, which rarely are better than an original viewing.

LuckyTrouble said:
I mentioned this in the rating the Sony conference thread, but this is an in-between year for games. There can't always be a whole host of huge exclusive heavy hitters waiting in the wings for E3. Especially after 2015 and 2016, where Sony in particular went all in each time, going so far as announcing The Last of Us 2 as the closer to E3 2016 despite the fact that it was so early development, it didn't even show this year.

Microsoft is making their slow and steady exit from the console market, with the Xbox One X basically being their acting transition from console to PC gaming. The lack of focus of new games really solidified that this year. I wouldn't expect a major E3 from them ever again. They're trying to expand the Games for Windows 10 platform, and the Xbox brand as a console is a stepping stone for making that happen.

EA always has the same things with maybe one or two surprises, while Bethesda still really does not need a big stage for what they have to show. The fact that Skyrim for the Switch got stage time should prove that beyond a doubt. Ubisoft actually did okay this year. No real cringe except for the performance for Just Dance 2018. Even they were pretty dependent on Assassin's Creed to carry the show and filled a lot of show time with fluff talking due to lack of games and trailers.

2018 will be another big year for game announcements as we see what is coming going into 2019 and beyond, but E3 2017 was the result of having blown all the big announcements at E3 2016 for everything to expect going into 2018.

I totally agree, I don't understand How people and media wants Sony to suprise us every year. The only suprise Sony has left is Silent Hill with VR Like RES7 AND Half Life 3. Sony Simply Has spoiled us and we want cockies every year

As for VR is selling good and Sony suporting it. Simple

Around the Network

It does seem to be rather lukewarm all around, but I don't think any of the conferences have been particularly bad. I've found things to enjoy in each of them and in particular was pleasantly surprised by both Ubisoft and the PC conference.

I thought the Microsoft conference was a smash! 42 games shown, not to mention the unveiling on new hardware. Sony's on the other hand......
Mostly VR or multiplats, no VR or PS4 Pro price drop and the best Sony games aren't even coming out in 2017. The Sony/Microsoft war is about to get interesting. Microsoft has a far superior console in the pipeline and FINALLY some games to get excited about.

Qwark said:
Sony was pretty terrible to be honest not a single announcement of a new game and nothing releases in 2017 as usual. Greatness awaits till after the holidays.

That's so strange to me, I feel the opposite. I saw a ton of games, well, at least 7-8 games from the Sony conference that I'm interested in heavily or definitely going to buy. I'm patient enough to wait for them to show up, hell 2017 is about half over. Why aren't I upset everything isn't coming 2017? Because the holiday slate is CRAM PACKED with multiplats. It's just not wise to bring your exclusives to the table Oct-Dec timeframe if you can help it. It's going to be a week-to-week showcase of massive third-party sledgehammers, and dropping new titles in there is kind of wasteful.

I like having things show up in the first half of the year :) If anything, I feel it does a disservice how Microsoft has sometimes crammed all of their releases into the holidays, and then left barren the rest of the year :/ 

If anyone can't find a game to play this holiday season, maybe they should just give up gaming lol. That release schedule is bananas.

E3 was a total joke this year lol
Everybody sucked

Gimme Anthem though

Im holding out for Square Enix to hopefully lighten my mood, Sony really disappointed this year.