By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So whats with the disapointing E3 press conferences?

Has E3 been disapointing thus far?

Yes. 150 38.46%

No. 40 10.26%

Its been more than disapp... 28 7.18%

MS conference wasn't disappointing. 31 7.95%

Sony's conference wasn't disappointing. 62 15.90%

Bethesda's conference wasn't disappointing. 3 0.77%

Ubisoft's conference wasn't disappointing. 73 18.72%

EA's conference wasn't.... 3 0.77%

Total:390

Anthem, Ori, Become Human. In that order.

I haven't seen Ubisoft or Nintendo, yet. I could still be impressed.

Around the Network

Both Microsoft and Sony's conferences were equally just as bad imo. I wouldn't say they were  completly awful or anything like that, but I would say it was a 6/10 for each of them, they were just whatever. There were hardly any new games announced. They both had games that looked fantastic obviously, but again not only have we known about them for a while but also almost all of them are just releasing in 2018 now. God of War, Days Gone, Spider-Man, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 etc. All 2018 now. Some of them I don't even think got release time windows such as Detroit Become Human.

I didn't watch Ubisoft's full conference but I already think they did better just with starting off with Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle which looked great and having Beyond Good and Evil 2 in there. (Never played the first but I know a lot of people have been waiting a long time for a sequel).  At least those 2 games were new. (Yes the Mario/Rabbids game was leaked but it was the first time anyone got to see actual footage of gameplay and trailer). 

Nintendo's Spotlight may only be 25 minutes but if they do it well they could easily announce 15 or 20 huge games in that time as long as they don't spent too much time on a single game and just sort of rapid fire announce them. They'll have treehouse after to show some proper gameplay demos and they even said they would be revealing more stuff in the treehouse stream after too.

HandofPrometheus said:
Microsoft showed things I wasn't interested in and I don't even have a Xbox so there's that. Sony wowed me with Monster Hunter World and Spiderman looked cool. The two things that saved E3 for me was Monster Hunter and Dragon Ball FighterZ.

The two games you're interested in are on Xbox and one was shown at MS's E3 

Xbox's conference, I can't tell you why it was so bad, outside of maybe MS really thought that just shouting 4K over and over again somehow actually get them to the top.

Sony's, on the other hand, wasn't bad, but its fairly explanatory why it felt subpar compared to last year's. It's the development cycles for these games. The games they're pushing for are massive and as such the developers are needing a lot of time. The problem there is that it would be very difficult for Sony to announce new products, while still garnering attention for the announced products. They don't want to kill hype for games before they release. One could say they shouldn't have announced these games so soon, but they need to to maintain consumer confidence that they haven't just taken our money and ran, but instead have an actual long term plan. Them not announcing that many new things is the beauty of why they're going to be at 3 (possibly 4) more gaming conventions throughout the rest of the year.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

NobleTeam360 said:
HandofPrometheus said:
Microsoft showed things I wasn't interested in and I don't even have a Xbox so there's that. Sony wowed me with Monster Hunter World and Spiderman looked cool. The two things that saved E3 for me was Monster Hunter and Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Spider-Man isn't on Xbox though. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network
DialgaMarine said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Spider-Man isn't on Xbox though. 

He said he was interested in MH and DBZ, both on Xbox. He just said Spiderman looks cool.

Arkaign said:
Qwark said:
Sony was pretty terrible to be honest not a single announcement of a new game and nothing releases in 2017 as usual. Greatness awaits till after the holidays.

That's so strange to me, I feel the opposite. I saw a ton of games, well, at least 7-8 games from the Sony conference that I'm interested in heavily or definitely going to buy. I'm patient enough to wait for them to show up, hell 2017 is about half over. Why aren't I upset everything isn't coming 2017? Because the holiday slate is CRAM PACKED with multiplats. It's just not wise to bring your exclusives to the table Oct-Dec timeframe if you can help it. It's going to be a week-to-week showcase of massive third-party sledgehammers, and dropping new titles in there is kind of wasteful.

I like having things show up in the first half of the year :) If anything, I feel it does a disservice how Microsoft has sometimes crammed all of their releases into the holidays, and then left barren the rest of the year :/ 

If anyone can't find a game to play this holiday season, maybe they should just give up gaming lol. That release schedule is bananas.

Sony's release schedule is fine although I always like a big Sony game launching in November. I was dissapointed because of the lack of release windows and teasers. The trailers by themselves where good especially Spiderman, Uncharted and Days gone. Although I would have liked a teaser on what Sucker Punch is working on. Furthermore I would have liked to sea dreams although I think that's going to be a PS5 project by now.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

OP: Is this your first E3? It's always disappointing, that's the point of E3!

Qwark said:
Arkaign said:

That's so strange to me, I feel the opposite. I saw a ton of games, well, at least 7-8 games from the Sony conference that I'm interested in heavily or definitely going to buy. I'm patient enough to wait for them to show up, hell 2017 is about half over. Why aren't I upset everything isn't coming 2017? Because the holiday slate is CRAM PACKED with multiplats. It's just not wise to bring your exclusives to the table Oct-Dec timeframe if you can help it. It's going to be a week-to-week showcase of massive third-party sledgehammers, and dropping new titles in there is kind of wasteful.

I like having things show up in the first half of the year :) If anything, I feel it does a disservice how Microsoft has sometimes crammed all of their releases into the holidays, and then left barren the rest of the year :/ 

If anyone can't find a game to play this holiday season, maybe they should just give up gaming lol. That release schedule is bananas.

Sony's release schedule is fine although I always like a big Sony game launching in November. I was dissapointed because of the lack of release windows and teasers. The trailers by themselves where good especially Spiderman, Uncharted and Days gone. Although I would have liked a teaser on what Sucker Punch is working on. Furthermore I would have liked to sea dreams although I think that's going to be a PS5 project by now.

I think Sony is fine this year. The October/November release schedule is crowded with the annual releases and some noteworthy third party releases like The Evil Within 2, Need for Speed: Payback, Battlefront 2, Assassin's Creed Origins, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, Wolfenstein 2, CoD WW2, South Park, etc.

Leaving the holiday to enjoy third party games, partcularly since Sony has the marketing deal for CoD at this point, is just the smart move. Holiday 2017 is crowded enough without a Sony megaton dropping in the middle of it all.

shikamaru317 said:

Definitely a disappointing E3 overall, and I don't expect that to change tomorrow since Nintendo is only 25 minutes and focused on 2017 stuff. Ubisoft definitely won though, they had a good conference for a change.

yeah Ubisoft won easily. Sony's was super disapointing. just finished watching it now

where was Red Dead Redemption?

where was TLoU2?

where was Sucker Punches new game?