By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Better graphics vs. better resolution, which do you choose?

Resolution or graphics?

Resolution all the way! 56 22.76%

Graphics all the way! 135 54.88%

Por que no los dos? 19 7.72%

Show results 36 14.63%

Total:246

Great art direction before those two but out of the two graphics for sure.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

Assuming proper optimization in both instances, i'm firmly in the image quality camp. Aliasing and blur actively make me enjoy a game less. I can get used to poor graphics after a few hours of play, but poor image quality is perpetually irritating. It won't stop be playing a good game, but it will make it a slightly worse experience than i know it could have been.

Image quality is what lead me to PC gaming back in 2010. It meant dealing with sub-HD and 720p less often, and gave me the power to optimize my settings around whatever my screen's native resolution was (at the time 1080p, now 4k). If you're willing to invest enough, you can also hit that native target with few compromises to frame-rate and graphics. 'Tis the good stuff.

A healthy mix.

However I feel like 1080p is high enough a resolution that Id rather they focus the rest of the juice they have in the systems on better graphics.

Well, whichever one affects gameplay more! Gameplay is what is important to me, so if it's the graphics that make it more enjoyable, then I choose that!

It strongly depends on the game. In MonHun for instance a higher resolution gives me more details to see and help the game, and I couldn't give a shit about image quality. Similar for strategy games or say Baldur's Gate style RPGs, I need a better overview. In other games the details are less important and a higher image quality can be preferable.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Vini256 said:
Qwark said:
Since when doesn't resolution have an influence on graphics. Anyway after 900p, 1080p or 2160p checkerboard is hit throw as much graphical features to it as possible. I prefer more natural and better looking frames in HDR with actual glowing particles coming from it than bland fire in native 2160p and terrible lighting.

Not saying that it doesn't, I'm just asking in a broader sense of better poly count, lighting, etc vs. better resolution but lesser effects. I'm really happy that we're reaching a point where resolution won't be as noticeable as before though, that way we can continue to improve graphics without them looking bad because of the resolution =P

Considering my PS4 pro I prefer graphical features over resolution after the 900/1080p target is secured that is. But in general I care way more about graphics than about resolution, since the difference between 900p, 1080p isn't that big. Besides 2160p checkerboard is nice but I would trade it in an instance for HDR and better lighting and shadows.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Both cause you know why

But if I really have to choose... Better Resolution until 1080p and then better graphics

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I can't really tell without some good examples, 3DS games is not good example because has terrible 240p resolution.

Graphics is too broad of a term, but anyway art style trumps all.

Take two examples.

Wind Waker & Wind Waker HD. Both games have different graphics and resolution, yet both follow the same art style. Both are completely 100% playable today and look great. Their graphics or resolution don't really matter.

8-Bit style games. Any 8-bit or 16-bit or of that art style game today. It does not matter if it is 4k, 1080p, or back on a NES and in like 240 or something. Take Super Mario Maker. You can choose the art style to look like an NES game, yet it is still in 1080p. If someone plugged in an actual NES system for you, you would pop in Super Mario and play that game and still have a blast.

Art styles can be timeless. Graphics often are shit in a year or two.

Makes me think of movies and CG vs practical. Watch some older movies that use either. The CG movies will make you cringe, or are glaringly bad. Makes some movie unwatchable. Even movies that at the time were thought to be amazing due to CG now look like a sci-fi channel movie. Yet pop in a movie that does practical effects like Jurassic park or the Labrynth and the movies hold up and almost get a unique quality to them. Even jumping to 4k discs they at times look even better.

Art style always wins when talking "graphics", and when talking resolution if there is a good art style used the resolution doesn't matter.

Good visual style and design is more important than either, although I guess it could be considered part of graphics.