By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Destiny 2 dev rules out the game for Switch

I think games with bad gameplay but good graphics generally don't do well with Nintendo audiences.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Dravenet7 said:
Saw this earlier. Poor reasoning, but at least he's upfront about I guess.

Actually it is quite a good reasoning. On the go you probably have no WiFi or a bad one (via your phone or whatever). Would still work in home mode, but people would complain that the game works crappy on the go.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

twintail said:

Cloudman said:

I get that, and I don't find that acceptable. The issue is that you can't play it if there's no internet, which more often than not, that'll be available. Just because it can't be played all the time, doesn't mean it should be skipped entirely. But alas, if that's their reason, then... okay then.

I dont think this online issue is the key issue for no Switch version but it probably brings up a lot of questions they need to answer.

If ppl use their switch for different games in docked and portabe mode, than constant engagement with their game is lost for something that requires consistent, strong and stable online connection. And they need that constant engagement for an online game that emphasises group play and the released of major paid expansions going forward.

At least that is probably how they see it, so it comes down to whether the community is big enough to remain consistent through the years the game remains active. If they dont think so then it is not worth the cost or efforts to port. Because these costs are also going to move forward with constant updating of the game and the paid DLC to further the games growth and scope.  

Additionally, they have zero idea how the paid online service will actually affect users going forward. i am sure lots of users will pay Nintendo for online, but many might not, and right now they may be unconvinced that the demographic will be heavy into online payments.

So tldr, online-only is just a simple excuse for what is probably a lot of different factors, relating to online, that they need to consider. Budgeting is super important for any project, and there might just be too many unknowns for them to pull the trigger on the effort needed to port and maintain the game.

I would find this sort of answer more acceptable than the one they officially gave out.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Isn't Steep online only?

RolStoppable said:

Yes. Yes, it is.

Hm. Too bad Ubisoft doesn't have the same philosophy as Bungie.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
RolStoppable said:

Yes. Yes, it is.

Hm. Too bad Ubisoft doesn't have the same philosophy as Bungie.

Well even if it turns out Ubi is right and Bungie is wrong this time, let's not pretend that Ubi making a choice is a good reason for anyone to follow.  :P

Nuvendil said:

Superman4 said:

Newer tech yes, more ram yes. On a GFlop-GFflop level on par. 400+GF for PS3 and 390 something for switch when docked. yes I know GF arent everything but the switch isnt a beast by any means.

Wrong.  The PS3 and 360 perform at less than 250 GLFOPs (~230 and 240 respectively).  The Switch outputs at about ~400 in the dock and 200 in handheld.  However, real world performance is above PS3 and 360 in both cases due to the additional RAM and other superior tech both hardware and software wise (and also due to he Switch screen being 720p and its smaller size allowing for more variation in resolution and image quality solutions).  In real world performance output, the Switch is closer to the middle between Xbox 360 and Xbox One in the dock again due to the tech.

The Cell does 230Gflop alone as its theoretical maximum, the GPU in the PS3 is around 400Gflops

Good!

Switch!!!