By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Destiny 2 dev rules out the game for Switch

GoOnKid said:
Kowan said:

So they're going to risk people complaining they can't play a game on a system when they use it as advertised?

Complaints could be avoided by showing a message when the game boots up that it's best experienced when played at home with a stable online connection. Problem solved.

Anyway, it wouldn't sell all that great numbers on the Switch in the first place. The audience is elsewhere.

Nuvendil pretty much explained why that would still be a problem.

Around the Network

It's looks a lot better than the original

Superman4 said:
Pachofilauri said:
The game doesn't look that different from the first one, and Destiny 1 was on ps3 and 360 so i don't get it.

It looks a lot different than the PS3 version. They made some improvments as soon as they dropped PS3 support. Destiny 2 has a lot more going on and everything is sharper and brighter.

Am sure they probably did some imporvements but at the same time the switch is more powerful than both the ps3 and 360. Am not saying is could run it at 60fps 1080 but am sure it could run it in a decent and enjoyable way 

Pachofilauri said:
Superman4 said:

It looks a lot different than the PS3 version. They made some improvments as soon as they dropped PS3 support. Destiny 2 has a lot more going on and everything is sharper and brighter.

Am sure they probably did some imporvements but at the same time the switch is more powerful than both the ps3 and 360. Am not saying is could run it at 60fps 1080 but am sure it could run it in a decent and enjoyable way 

Newer tech yes, more ram yes. On a GFlop-GFflop level on par. 400+GF for PS3 and 390 something for switch when docked. yes I know GF arent everything but the switch isnt a beast by any means.

Recently had someone point out that Dragon Quest Heroes is a online only game that works with Square's own internet service not Nintendo's. So I take back my comment.

Destiny 2, say you either A: don't think your game will sell, B: that you are too late in devel to make a port, or C: that you don't want to do it.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

Superman4 said:
Pachofilauri said:

Newer tech yes, more ram yes. On a GFlop-GFflop level on par. 400+GF for PS3 and 390 something for switch when docked. yes I know GF arent everything but the switch isnt a beast by any means.

Wrong.  The PS3 and 360 perform at less than 250 GLFOPs (~230 and 240 respectively).  The Switch outputs at about ~400 in the dock and 200 in handheld.  However, real world performance is above PS3 and 360 in both cases due to the additional RAM and other superior tech both hardware and software wise (and also due to he Switch screen being 720p and its smaller size allowing for more variation in resolution and image quality solutions).  In real world performance output, the Switch is closer to the middle between Xbox 360 and Xbox One in the dock again due to the tech.

KrspaceT said:
Recently had someone point out that Dragon Quest Heroes is a online only game that works with Square's own internet service not Nintendo's. So I take back my comment.

Destiny 2, say you either A: don't think your game will sell, B: that you are too late in devel to make a port, or C: that you don't want to do it.

First, just because Square did something doesn't mean the reason given isn't rational.  Those are not mutually exclusive realities.  Just because a thing can be done or indeed has been done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

Second, if I recall correctly DQ Heroes also has a singleplayer mode with no online, right?  If so, not a good comparison.

A better one would have been the MMO DQX

Nuvendil said:
TomaTito said:

Was just going to post this, but beaten by 3min.

Those are not online only games and have both local multiplayer via system linking, splitscreen, and a combination of both as well as singleplayer options.  With Destiny and Destiny 2, you would only be able to play when in range of a WiFi signal of sufficient quality. 

And yet people mostly play them tethered to their phones when on the go. I know not everyone has huge data contracts (I certainly don't) but let's not pretend that this is a huge problem either.

Kowan said:
SuperNova said:
Yeah Nintendo thinks Mario Kart, ARMS and Splatoon are just fine on ethe Switch (hint: they are all heavily online mp focused) but no Destiny 2 wont be possible.....

Just be honest, or at least say that you don't want to waste developement time and cost on a port that might not sell well with the Nintendo audience and that is going to take a lot of optimization to run well on the hardware.

Because unlike those games, Destiny is an online ONLY game? You can't play it without an internet connection, EVER. Even the single player campaign is online only. 

Yes. I know. See above.

GoOnKid said:
Kowan said:

So they're going to risk people complaining they can't play a game on a system when they use it as advertised?

Complaints could be avoided by showing a message when the game boots up that it's best experienced when played at home with a stable online connection. Problem solved.

Anyway, it wouldn't sell all that great numbers on the Switch in the first place. The audience is elsewhere.

This, basically.

Look, they clearly never even factored in a Switch version and that has nothing to do with the Switches portblility and all to do with Nintendos percieved/real demographic and the fact that when Destiny 2 started developement the Switch was barely on the horizon, let alone the success it's turning out to be.

Just like Destiny was never going to come to the wiiU even though it's about as portable as the other consoles. They think their audience for this is on Ps4 and Xone (and they are likely right), two consoles that are (unlike the wiiU) selling phenomenal and decent respectively. They got the original destiny, they got the marketing deals and they got the established audience.

The sales would probably not be worth the considerable struggle to make a port run smoothly and he could have just said that. That was the point of my original comment.

Dravenet7 said:
potato_hamster said:

If they did discuss it with Nintendo, how would we know about it? Such conversations would be held under pretty strict NDAs.

I dunno. I haven't heard of a conversation that fell through like that having an NDA

... if they had NDAs....you wouln't hear about them.... becasuse that's the purpose of NDAs.

twintail said:
Dravenet7 said:
Saw this earlier. Poor reasoning, but at least he's upfront about I guess.

Cloudman said:
So it's not coming to Switch because....

Because why?

I don't really see an answer. I would have been fine with him saying "The console isn't powerful enough to run it"

When you use your Switch in portable mode and are on the move, are you always connected to the net? Do you always have a consistently strong connection?

That is basically what he is saying. 

I get that, and I don't find that acceptable. The issue is that you can't play it if there's no internet, which more often than not, that'll be available. Just because it can't be played all the time, doesn't mean it should be skipped entirely. But alas, if that's their reason, then... okay then.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread