By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Destiny 2 dev rules out the game for Switch

Soundwave said:
I was expecting it. I think Switch could run it though, but only in docked mode, getting it to run below that probably would be tricky. It doesn't look like the highest end PS4/XB1 game though by any means.

Nah, it could run it in both.  Destiny, like Overwatch, is not a game that is overburdened with complexity in any way.  Most shooters are not. 

I'm actually glad he didn't give us a BS "our game is too much for the Switch" line like the Titanfall 2 guy did.  This does make a degree of sense, the big selling point of the Switch is getting the portable version instead of the shiny version.  But the game necessitating online at all times kinda hamstrings that in many regions, especially the United States, their biggest market. 

Around the Network
TomaTito said:
SuperNova said:
Yeah Nintendo thinks Mario Kart, ARMS and Splatoon are just fine on ethe Switch (hint: they are all heavily online mp focused) but no Destiny 2 wont be possible.....

Was just going to post this, but beaten by 3min.

... those games have a single player mode.

TomaTito said:
SuperNova said:
Yeah Nintendo thinks Mario Kart, ARMS and Splatoon are just fine on ethe Switch (hint: they are all heavily online mp focused) but no Destiny 2 wont be possible.....

Those are not online only games and have both local multiplayer via system linking, splitscreen, and a combination of both as well as singleplayer options.  With Destiny and Destiny 2, you would only be able to play when in range of a WiFi signal of sufficient quality. 

RolStoppable said:
Makes me wonder if he believes his reasoning. I can't rule it out that he is that stupid.

But it was mean that he was pressed about something that he wasn't prepared to have an answer for.

It was his made up reason to cover for, "we just don't feel like doing it." That would explain the stupid.

...Oh...

Call me if/when Switch gets World at War.

Around the Network
Nuvendil said:
TomaTito said:

Those are not online only games and have both local multiplayer via system linking, splitscreen, and a combination of both as well as singleplayer options.  With Destiny and Destiny 2, you would only be able to play when in range of a WiFi signal of sufficient quality. 

So how is that any different on the PS4 or XBONE?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

SuperNova said:

Just be honest, or at least say that you don't want to waste developement time and cost on a port that might not sell well with the Nintendo audience and that is going to take a lot of optimization to run well on the hardware.

Because unlike those games, Destiny is an online ONLY game? You can't play it without an internet connection, EVER. Even the single player campaign is online only. 

potato_hamster said:
Dravenet7 said:

Nah. I will take your word for it. I think that even in a case like that, however, the devs could try to at least discuss it with Nintendo on whether or not they could be an exception. The reason I think its largely poor reasoning is that they didn't actually weigh their options and went off the first thought that came to mind.

If they did discuss it with Nintendo, how would we know about it? Such conversations would be held under pretty strict NDAs.

I dunno. I haven't heard of a conversation that fell through like that having an NDA

Alkibiádēs said:
Nuvendil said:

...They're home consoles. The Internet tends to be much more common at home than when you're on the go. Yes? If you didn't have stable internet at home, I doubt you'd even be interested in a game(or games) that was marketed as online only or heavily focused on online multiplayer in the first place.

Kowan said:
Alkibiádēs said:

...They're home consoles. The Internet tends to be much more common at home than when you're on the go. Yes? If you didn't have stable internet at home, I doubt you'd even be interested in a game(or games) that was marketed as online only or heavily focused on online multiplayer in the first place.

And the Switch can be played perfectly fine at home or on a big tv screen. 

Again, what's the problem here exactly?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides