By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Destiny 2 dev rules out the game for Switch

Alkibiádēs said:
Kowan said:

...They're home consoles. The Internet tends to be much more common at home than when you're on the go. Yes? If you didn't have stable internet at home, I doubt you'd even be interested in a game(or games) that was marketed as online only or heavily focused on online multiplayer in the first place.

And the Switch can be played perfectly fine at home or on a big tv screen. 

Again, what's the problem here exactly?

So they're going to risk people complaining they can't play a game on a system when they use it as advertised?

Around the Network
FunFan said:
Destiny doesn't really need to be online only. Just like Diablo 3.

Actually it does. It requires an internet connection even for the campaign.

Alkibiádēs said:
Nuvendil said:

Those are not online only games and have both local multiplayer via system linking, splitscreen, and a combination of both as well as singleplayer options.  With Destiny and Destiny 2, you would only be able to play when in range of a WiFi signal of sufficient quality. 

So how is that any different on the PS4 or XBONE?

It isn't.  But the Switch's means of competing for home console multiplats is an exchange: portability in exchange for graphics.  If the portability is heavily hamstrung, the value proposition of that exchange goes down.  Instead of giving up the shiny version for the portable version, you are giving up the shiny version for...a less shiny version.  So yes, it could work fine.  But the whole point of buying a Switch version would be heavily compromised.

Perfect! xD

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Doubt Switch users would buy it in droves. Most Switch users want Nintendo games

Around the Network
Kowan said:
Alkibiádēs said:

So they're going to risk people complaining they can't play a game on a system when they use it as advertised?

Complaints could be avoided by showing a message when the game boots up that it's best experienced when played at home with a stable online connection. Problem solved.

Anyway, it wouldn't sell all that great numbers on the Switch in the first place. The audience is elsewhere.

Superman4 said:
FunFan said:
Destiny doesn't really need to be online only. Just like Diablo 3.

Actually it does. It requires an internet connection even for the campaign.

Only on PC, and the Switch ain't no PC :D

That said the PS4 is pretty much a PC and it still can play it offline. (I mean Diablo 3, of course)

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

The game doesn't look that different from the first one, and Destiny 1 was on ps3 and 360 so i don't get it.

Alkibiádēs said:
Kowan said:

...They're home consoles. The Internet tends to be much more common at home than when you're on the go. Yes? If you didn't have stable internet at home, I doubt you'd even be interested in a game(or games) that was marketed as online only or heavily focused on online multiplayer in the first place.

Destiny requires a pretty big download to the console for starters so for the switch you would need an xd card with enough space. Thats just for the game, the expansions generally digital only so the entire expansion needs to be installed on the local storage. The specs on the Switch in comarison to the PS4 and Xbone are still on the slow side, closer to the PS3 and 360. I would imagine with the amount of online data and graphics they are shooting for it wouldnt work very well on the switch.

Pachofilauri said:
The game doesn't look that different from the first one, and Destiny 1 was on ps3 and 360 so i don't get it.

It looks a lot different than the PS3 version. They made some improvments as soon as they dropped PS3 support. Destiny 2 has a lot more going on and everything is sharper and brighter.