By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Jim sterling gives Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a 9/10.

gives a Wii U port a 9 but Breath of the Wild a 7 ..... FFS :/ .....

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is great but objectively speaking to rate it higher (a glorified port) than something ambitious and beautiful like BOTW? sorry, but sometimes you have to take yourself out in terms of bias a LITTLE bit.

going to be hard to take Jim's reviews seriously in the future.

There is no way shape or form that Mario Kart 8 with simply a Battle Mode added is multiple points above BOTW unless the only rating metric is "omg its fun with friends"

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
It's honestly starting to get quite ridiculous how far people will go to try and justify that he still has some nefarious anti-Nintendo bias. Over the last few years he's given Majora's Mask 3D, Hyrule Warriors Legends and Smash Bros. for WiiU a 9.5, he gave Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby: Planet Robobot and Super Mario Maker a 9, but because he didn't quite like the new Zelda as much as people wanted he's now a Nintendo hater.

well he certainly doesn't like Nintendo as a company, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like their games. Two different things.

I think the Breath of the Wild review was obviously for ATTENTION, not because he hates Nintendo. the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe score potentailly validates the odds of the BOTW review being for exposure.... from an objective standpoint I'm not sure how you give a port, even if great, a better rating than something that is technically and fundamentally as solid as Breath of the Wild (and ambitious to boot)

It just comes off as a bit of a middle finger in terms of review scores and kind of hard to believe, for him to make the claim that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the first 'great' game on the Switch. 

Mummelmann said:
So he gets shit for Zelda score because it was too low and now he gets shit for the MK score because it's suspiciously high. He can't get a break from the conspiracy corps, it seems.

the Zelda review was for attention. If you read his review its fairly poor in terms of reasonable criticism. His biggest complaints are essentially that he doesn't like that the weapons break and all of the traveling. Weapons breaking is in itself not objectively something terrible, its a developer choice and hardly particular bad when compared with some survival games.

the traveling around? for an open world game you can get around quite quickly in BOTW, with the glider and whatnot. 

The problem people have is that the Zelda review comes off as staged for attention and shallow. He doesn't have a LOT of negative things to say despite giving it a 7, and seems to deliberately sort of ignore a lot of the positives. 

I think the BOTW review was a combination of knowing he'd get a lot of attention because everyone else was praising it, a lot of attention because his fanbase has really enjoyed his videos shitting on Nintendo, and lastly maybe a bit because Jim historically seems to enjoy the Zelda format (smaller world, big dungeons).

a lot of it just doesn't come off at genuine with that. I'm sure the Mario Kart 8 review is somewhat more genuine but then again after him being OCD and quite critical of VERY few things in BOTW, that he might do the same with Mario Kart 8. So much for that. Inconsistent 

mountaindewslave said:
Darashiva said:
It's honestly starting to get quite ridiculous how far people will go to try and justify that he still has some nefarious anti-Nintendo bias. Over the last few years he's given Majora's Mask 3D, Hyrule Warriors Legends and Smash Bros. for WiiU a 9.5, he gave Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby: Planet Robobot and Super Mario Maker a 9, but because he didn't quite like the new Zelda as much as people wanted he's now a Nintendo hater.

well he certainly doesn't like Nintendo as a company, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like their games. Two different things.

I think the Breath of the Wild review was obviously for ATTENTION, not because he hates Nintendo. the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe score potentailly validates the odds of the BOTW review being for exposure.... from an objective standpoint I'm not sure how you give a port, even if great, a better rating than something that is technically and fundamentally as solid as Breath of the Wild (and ambitious to boot)

It just comes off as a bit of a middle finger in terms of review scores and kind of hard to believe, for him to make the claim that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the first 'great' game on the Switch. 

He didn't review MK8 as a port, but as a game. As a game MK8 Deluxe has very few drawbacks and is an overall enjoyable experience.

BOTW is a solid game that does a lot of things well but also has a lot of issues that unnecessarily distract and drag down the whole experience.

Why wouldn't he score BOTW worse than MK8 when MK8 has barely any negative points but BOTW has multiple very strong negative points?

Is it so hard to grasp that someone would have less fun with a tedious open world game with certain mechancs that drag down the experience than a very good Kart Racer? Especially considering that there are a million open world games already out there which do some things better while there isn't really an experience just like MK.

Is BOTW somehow inherently superior just because it's a different genre? Is it not allowed for a Kart Racer to have a better score than an open world game?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

mountaindewslave said:
Darashiva said:

From what I understand, he simply enjoyed Mario Kart 8 more than BOTW, hence the higher score. He didn't review MK8 as a port of an older game, but on its own merits simply as a game, especially since he hadn't reviewed or really played it before to any notable decree. Also, Zelda being technically and fundamentally solid doesn't mean that every aspect of the game is going to be enjoyable to play. I haven't played the game myself, so I can't say how things like the weapon durability or the various other complaints I've heard would affect my enjoyment, but I can certainly understand how it would do so to some people. Also, being an ambitious game is in no way indicative of its overall quality, and is no reason to give a game a good score. Plenty of games with great ambitions have turned out to be absolute rubbish in the end.

Around the Network
vivster said:
mountaindewslave said:

He didn't review MK8 as a port, but as a game. As a game MK8 Deluxe has very few drawbacks and is an overall enjoyable experience.

BOTW is a solid game that does a lot of things well but also has a lot of issues that unnecessarily distract and drag down the whole experience.

Why wouldn't he score BOTW worse than MK8 when MK8 has barely any negative points but BOTW has multiple very strong negative points?

Is it so hard to grasp that someone would have less fun with a tedious open world game with certain mechancs that drag down the experience than a very good Kart Racer? Especially considering that there are a million open world games already out there which do some things better while there isn't really an experience just like MK.

Is BOTW somehow inherently superior just because it's a different genre? Is it not allowed for a Kart Racer to have a better score than an open world game?

First of all, that's false, game isn't perfect but not a single issue drags it down, at all.

Second, Jim dislikes Mario kart, he has openly said this several times, is not a kart racer kind of guy, he even gave a 5/10 to MK7, so... how is possible this compeltely change of mind about the franchise with an enchanted port? He didn't give any props to WiiU for Mk8, in fact he didn't even reviewed it because he didn't like Mario Kart but now this one is the game that shows how great is the Switch? Wtf? One thing is for sure, Jim makes no freaking sense when it comes to reviews, is inconsistent as fuck.

Jim obviously is paid by Nintendo to give this OLD (!!!) game such a good review. most reviewers are in Nintendopockets, don't trust the scores. Look at the user scores, which are a lot lower!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Goodnightmoon said:

First of all, that's false, game isn't perfect but not a single issue drags it down, at all.

Second, Jim dislikes Mario kart, he has openly said this several times, is not a kart racer kind of guy, he even gave a 5/10 to MK7, so... how is possible this compeltely change of mind about the franchise with an enchanted port? He didn't give any props to WiiU for Mk8, in fact he didn't even reviewed it because he didn't like Mario Kart but now this one is the game that shows how great is the Switch? Wtf? One thing is for sure, Jim makes no freaking sense when it comes to reviews, is inconsistent as fuck.

Isn't that an extremely subjective stance to take? What's to stop others from having a subjective stance claiming the opposite?

Mummelmann said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Isn't that an extremely subjective stance to take? What's to stop others from having a subjective stance claiming the opposite?

Goodnightmoon, apparently :p 

Jim loves Mario Kart because it doesn't use crappy mechanics like destructable weapons.............................

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!