By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Jim sterling gives Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a 9/10.

Zekkyou said:
pokoko said:

Not naming any names but some people have the attitude that all of gaming revolves around their own personal favorite console manufacturer.  You're either Lawful Good and like the same pieces of hardware and software or you're Chaotic Evil and like other, more evil pieces of software and hardware.  They're only able to see the world as Luke vs. Vader in a Tables match.

I mean, obviously, if someone's personal opinion about a game doesn't match up with my own personal opinion about a game then they MUST have some hidden agenda and they were probably trained by the CIA.  

At the end of the day, Sterling giving Mario Kart a high score is solid proof that he hates Nintendo.

I always feel a bit depressed when i see people with that attitude (in regards to effectively anything). Everyone has preferences, but i can't imagine letting one dominate my identity to the point i have to either control the limits of other people's subjectivity, or consistently question deviations from my internal narrative. It seems exhausting. Not as exhausting as having to breath the same air as people who disagree with me though, bloody heretics.

You can't imagine letting your preferences dominating your identity, but you and your identity are always on the same side.

A-L-W-A-Y-S

At least I'm clear as water and I don't repime my true feelings about anything, neither I act like I was free of any biasement.

Around the Network
Goodnightmoon said:
Zekkyou said:

I always feel a bit depressed when i see people with that attitude (in regards to effectively anything). Everyone has preferences, but i can't imagine letting one dominate my identity to the point i have to either control the limits of other people's subjectivity, or consistently question deviations from my internal narrative. It seems exhausting. Not as exhausting as having to breath the same air as people who disagree with me though, bloody heretics.

You can't imagine letting your preferences dominating your identity, but you and your identity are always on the same side.

A-L-W-A-Y-S

At least I'm clear as water and I don't repime my true feelings about anything, neither I act like I was free of any biasement.

You seem to have misread my comment. What i can't imagine is allowing one of my preferences to dominate my identity to the point i have to either control the limits of other people's subjectivity, or consistently question deviations from my internal narrative. The combination of the bolded parts is very different from claiming i'm separate from my preferences as a whole, which i'm obviously not.

Regardless, my comment was aimed at the attitude pokoko was describing, not you specifically. If you think it applies to you then okay, but that's secondary. 

Zekkyou said:
Goodnightmoon said:

A-L-W-A-Y-S

You seem to have misread my comment. What i can't imagine is allowing one of my preferences to dominate my identity to the point i have to either control the limits of other people's subjectivity, or consistently question deviations from my internal narrative. The combination of the bolded parts is very different from claiming i'm separate from my preferences as a whole, which i'm obviously not.

Regardless, my comment was aimed at the attitude pokoko was describing, not you specifically. If you think it applies to you then okay, but that's secondary. 

You diplomacy doesn't really hide what you really want to say, it never really does.

Your preference completley decides the side you always choose, you just don't want to see it, Pokoko does exactly the same, you both make a pretty good couple actually.

Goodnightmoon said:

And I never ever saw this amount of people lying about a game, just the first day the game had +1000 reviews of people shitting about it on meta and we have seen people here pretending to play it and then refusing to give any proof of that in the moment someone asked for it, never a game has showed the colors of gaming comunity as good as this did, the whole internet was full of people lying in such an obvious way it was so embarrasing, even pretending to finish the game in the first 2 or 3 days, it was fucking sad.

And no, it isn't riodiculous at all because something called "context" exists, he always hated Mario Kart, he said several times he is not into that kind of games at all, but now an enchanted port of mario kart is "the first good thing Switch has to offer"... wether he is inconsistent as fuck with everything he says or this score was a simple way to have all the people in his coment section with the "but I thought jim was a hater" rethoric. He is not a hater, that was never the point, he is a sensationalist that doesn't care about the truth as much as he cares about the attention he gets, and if he needs to exaggerate something to the point it barely resembles the truth in order to get this attention, he will, he has already done this several times.

How is this different from Halo, GTA, Uncharted, Red Dead Redemption, Assassin's Creed, Bloodborne, Battlefield and a bunch other, high profile game that gets released? This is why I generally avoid metacritic, at least the user section, it's utterly worthless.

As for Jim, he didn't review MK8 on Wii and didn't really like MK7 all that much. What if he actually enjoyed MK8 on Switch, has that thought even crossed your mind? That it's not some conspiracy to please you and your friends so he can hate on Nintendo later with this "free pass" in his belt? Maybe it's that simple, to not even see that as a possibility is a bit strange and leads me to believe that the issue lies with you and your ilk and not actually Sterling in this case.

As for sensationalist; maybe he is in some cases, I've heard it mentioned in other situations before, but giving a 7 to BotW and a 9 to MK8 on Switch isn't a sign from above that he is. I'd argue that a 4/10 for Uncharted is sensationalist though. Gamestyle scored GT3 70, Cinescape gave Halo 2 a 67, Quarter to Three gave The Last of Us a 60, Gamekult gave a 70 to Portal 2, gamecritics gave Halo 3 a 70. Some are odd ones out but I wouldn't consider them sensationalist, especially if they're a breach of pattern and not the pattern itself towards a franchise, platform, publisher or developer.
Jim Sterling scored Rhytm Heaven Megamix an 8, which is perfectly in line with averages, Pokemon Sun and Moon got a 8.5, again in line with averages, he scored Kirby: Planet Robot a 9, where the average is about 8, he scored Hyrule Warriors Legends a massive 9.5 when the average is just 70, His 8.8 for Zelda Twilight Princess HD is above the 86 average, his 8 for Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes is above the 73 average, his 9 for Super Mario Maker in line with the 88 average, his 8 for Splatoon matches the 81 meta, his 8 for Xenoblad Chronicles on 3DS is not a sensational leap from the 86 metascore, his 9.5 for Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D is a bit above the 89 meta, he gave Kirby and the Rainbow Curse a 8.5 when the meta is just 73, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker got an 8, well in line with 81 metascore, his 9.5 for Super Smash Bros on Wii U matches a 92 meta easily.

I'm sorry, I don't see his unfair Nintendo treatment at all, the ones he butchers are the turds like Devil's Third and Fatal Frame, but so does everyone else. If anything, he gives Nintendo games kinder scores than average, and Sterling is known for giving scores that are about 6 points below average for games on average. This conspiracy and sensationalist claim of yours is all in your head, Jim Sterling is not out to get Nintendo games and their fans for clicks.

I think the real issue is the harsh criticism he's been dosing out towards Nintendo as a company and their many ethical breaches in the industry, this is probably annoying to people who can't see fault in their favorite companies. Sony, MS and Apple fans are the exact same in this regard, make no mistake. So, he's critical of Nintendo as a whole due to their practices, which often fly under the radar due to their perceived kind and charming nature, but he does not unfairly single out Nintendo games for clicks, shits & giggles, kicks or any other proverbs you can come up with, that's just utter nonsense.

Goodnightmoon said:
Zekkyou said:

You diplomacy doesn't really hide what you really want to say, it never really does.

Your preferences completley decides the side you always choose, you just don't want to see it, Pokoko does exactly the same, you both make a pretty good couple actually.

You might want to take a breath. You're lashing out at people over pretty small things and you're sounding more and more paranoid.

Not everyone likes the same things, and people are allowed to change their minds. This situation doesn't really need much more explaination.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

I love this thread. It's pure gold.

It's rather upsetting that people go on a tantrum when a reviewer doesn't like a game as much as they did. Especially if they're of the opinion that their game is objectively perfect and then their opinion clashes with someone else's opinion and they forget that because garms are srs business.

It's creating an unhealthy environment for critics to actually give feedback to developers.

.- -... -.-. -..

Normchacho said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Your preferences completley decides the side you always choose, you just don't want to see it, Pokoko does exactly the same, you both make a pretty good couple actually.

You might want to take a breath. You're lashing out at people over pretty small things and you're sounding more and more paranoid.

Not everyone likes the same things, and people are allowed to change their minds. This situation doesn't really need much more explaination.

Oh yeah poor people that compeltely talks about you in your fucking face and acts like they talk about no one in particular. But if you realize what is going on someone calls you paranoid... I swear the things I see in this forum are something else, don't even know what I'm doing here anymore, but you are right, too much forum dwelling for today. 

Zekkyou said:
pokoko said:

Not naming any names but some people have the attitude that all of gaming revolves around their own personal favorite console manufacturer.  You're either Lawful Good and like the same pieces of hardware and software or you're Chaotic Evil and like other, more evil pieces of software and hardware.  They're only able to see the world as Luke vs. Vader in a Tables match.

I mean, obviously, if someone's personal opinion about a game doesn't match up with my own personal opinion about a game then they MUST have some hidden agenda and they were probably trained by the CIA.  

At the end of the day, Sterling giving Mario Kart a high score is solid proof that he hates Nintendo.

The exasperating thing about it is the "I see things like this so everyone else must be the same way" perception.  I suppose it's a form of projection.  

B-by the way, would you meet me on the roof during lunch?  I have something I'd like to tell you, senpai ...

Goodnightmoon said:
Zekkyou said:

Your preferences completley dominates the side you always choose, you just don't want to see it, Pokoko does exactly the same, you are a pretty good couple actually.

It's a bit silly for you to claim i mean something different to what i say when i just had to repeat myself because you didn't read it properly the first time :p

Even if your latter point was true, it's not relevant to anything I've said. I don't understand why you keep shifting the discussion, or why you're making it so personal, but it's really tiring. I don't care if someone always chooses one "side", there are plenty of reasonable users on this forum that do. My problem is *starts playing recording* "when people try to control the limits of other people's subjectivity, or consistently question deviations from their internal narrative".

And how dare you reveal me and pokoko's secret love. Society isn't ready to understand what we share. 

pokoko said:
Zekkyou said:

The exasperating thing about it is the "I see things like this so everyone else must be the same way" perception.  I suppose it's a form of projection.  

B-by the way, would you meet me on the roof during lunch?  I have something I'd like to tell you, senpai ...

I'll be right there pokoko-chan.