By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Are Feminists Evil?

setsunatenshi said:
naruball said:

I've been to two meetings of feminists and I was pleasantly surprised that though the hardcore ones were all about women's rights, the topics that they discussed and the reaction by most attendees were about men's rights too. They talked about how women are pressured to have a certain type of body and then female feminists would jump in and say, men don't have it much better since they're not allowed to show their feelings or they will be criticised by both men and women. They talked about words that they think are harmful, such as pussy or reference to "having balls" as a good thing, because both harm men and women. They brought up the need for paternity leave (though they said nothing about child custody).

My point is, how many times have people, who accuse feminist of all sorts of things, actually listened to them?  

How many of those reasonable ones get millions in donations and get to speak at the UN council as well as having tons and tons of mainstream websites / media regurgitating their talking points?

exactly...

Also in the example you have provided, I'm all for them discussing those or other topics. As long as they don't feel like they have some moral highground to make others conform to what they perceive as correct.

The discussion about language I find particularly harmful as it has the smell of thought and speach police. As if limiting the use of x or y words is the correct way to solve any problem.

Also the societal pressures I find a completely pointless subject (again, they should feel free to discuss it as much as they want) because these will always exist. It also reeks of an attempt to control sexuality and what people feel attracted to. Like for some reason it's bad to have a sexy woman / man displaying some sensuality in media.

So yeah, there's plenty of points I would disagree even with the more rational kind of feminists, which again, does not in any way make them evil like the OP suggested.

I don't know exactly because a lot of feminists in politics don't scream "I'm a feminist". They don't do anything outrageous for it to become news and the rest of us to find out. They do their job, get their funding and the rest of us just don't hear about it. I noticed some of Emma Watson's speeches and they were all great, imho. Same with Angelina Jolie, Jeniffer Lawrence and others I can't think of at the moment. My point is, since I don't know what percentage they represent, I won't assume most feminists are great. Because that would make be biased. I'd like to believe/I hope that a great number of them fight the good fight.

As for language, I think it's a good idea, but I can see why some disagree with it. I haven't experienced the discrimination that women do in the work field, but I've read several articles, have heard from women whom I respect that they don't get the treatment they deserve. Once a feminist friend pointed out that there is no need to say "she's got balls" to describe a woman, I thought about it for a second and tried not to say it again, because I agreed with her. She didn't enforce her beliefs or give me a lecture. She just mentioned a study she had recently read. I think this kind of conversation is healthy. The extreme verrsion of that, I most certainly disagree with.

Disagreeing with them is absolutely fine. I do too, especially with those who think that women have had it so bad for so long that if men have it a little worse now it's all good. I've been in more disagreements with feminists than I can count. I still respect some of their beliefs.

Around the Network
forest-spirit said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I think the problem here is that folks are painting with broad strokes. All feminists are x or all feminists are y. It's entirely without nuance.

People subscribe to many different -isms and interpret them in different ways. Feminism for one person might be more militant than feminism for another. The same holds true for Catholicism, communism, liberalism, conservatism, etc.

It would be easy to look at a few extreme examples and indict an entire movement but that would also be grossly irresponsible. I think we should all endeavor to capture the complexity of political movements instead of hurling about stereotypes and generalizations.

naruball said:

I've been to two meetings of feminists and I was pleasantly surprised that though the hardcore ones were all about women's rights, the topics that they discussed and the reaction by most attendees were about men's rights too. They talked about how women are pressured to have a certain type of body and then female feminists would jump in and say, men don't have it much better since they're not allowed to show their feelings or they will be criticised by both men and women. They talked about words that they think are harmful, such as pussy or reference to "having balls" as a good thing, because both harm men and women. They brought up the need for paternity leave (though they said nothing about child custody).

My point is, how many times have people, who accuse feminist of all sorts of things, actually listened to them?  

I used to be a feminist-hater back in the days. Why? Because I, like so many, used the radicals to judge the entire movement. But then I took the time to do some research and discovered how little Iittle I actually knew about feminism. For starters it's a very, very broad definition and while most feminists seems to have about the same main goals, the ways to get there differs a lot between different groups of feminists. In Sweden, and I assume in many other countries as well, most political parties have their own groups of feminists, which of course helps to broaden the spectrum. In general, feminists on the left tend to be more positive towards quotations while those on the right tend to be more critical of such solutions. So political affiliation is important to take into consideration when talking feminism as [most] feminists don't live in a bubble unaffected by other ideologies.

Feminism only being for women and their rights and well-beings was another misconception of mine, and I have since then realised how feminism also benefits men and how it has been beneficial for me personally. I'm not a "manly man", I don't fit into the stereotypical man who loves sports and plays with cars and engines. I'm into home decoration, and it's nice to not get weird looks or be called fag because I like to spend money on fancy candles and pillows. It being as natural for women as for men to work and earn their own money is great for me, as it means I'm no longer expected to pay whenever I go out with a woman, and once I manage to catch a one I, not exactly born a leader, won't be expected to take on the traditional head of the family role. If me and my partner have children and later break up it won't be a piece of cake for her to take the kids away from me, like it used to be. The idea that it's more natural for the mother to take care of the kids is dying and with that comes more responsibilites for us men, but it also strenghens our rights to be with our children. It's also becoming more normal for men to stay home from work to spend time with their newborn child.

I've also had some experience with norm criticism, which led to another awakening as I was sure that norm criticism was a tool of Satan. But it wasn't at all the one-sided anti-white male circle jerk I had expected. In fact, we spent a lot of time discussing the demonisation of men and how it's more "ok" to have blacks make fun of whites than the other way around and whether that should be seen as acceptable or not. And for the record most participants were women, the lecturer was a woman and despite that me and the other guys could voice our opinions without getting killed.

About the relevancy of feminism today, I definitely think it's still needed and will be for the foreseeable future. We still have issues with women getting paid less in general (in Sweden at least), men's violence against women is still a huge problem and men are still greatly overrepresented when it comes to sexual harrassment and rape. Also, feminism today often includes standing up for LGTB rights, amongst other topics.

I also view feminism as the best bet for men fighting for their rights, and I think men's situations will get more and more publicity as more men join the movement. I know there are alternatives to feminism but I honestly view those as half-assed attempts at best.

There's a comic that I feel nails the problem with men's issues not getting enough publicity. Unfortunately I don't have a scan of it (and it would probably be illegal to post it anyway) but the dialogue, roughly translated by moi, goes something like this:

Man: Did you know it's the International Men's Day today? Nope, of course you didn't because not a single publication has written about it. There's a lot of ruckus on Women's Day but on Men's Day everyone becomes quiet.

Where are the articles about destructive machoculture and how it harms young boys? Where's the debate regarding high suicide rates, low school results and how men are oppressed in custody disputes, huh?

Woman: Absolutely! You should go out and protest or make articles about it. We need men's perspective on the male role.

The man glares at her.

Man: Hey, I'm not the feminist here. Why don't you write about it?

I know it's just my personal experience but too often have I seen this mentality amongst men and I find that sad, because there are issues that deserves more attention. It's becoming increasingly difficult for men to work in preschools because of pedophilia and how men are under constant surveillance simply for being men, and it's getting to the point where men just won't bother with those jobs because of the risk of being falsely accused of pedophilia. There's still a certain taboo regarding violence against men in relationships, talking about men's feelings in general, etc.

Fantastic post. I rarely read long posts, but this one was worth it. As for the comic, that was indeed quite funny. I think I have an answer, though I could be wrong. It all goes back to men being told not to express their feelings. There are so many expressions used from parents, friends, classmates that make men stay as far away from certain topics/fields as possible. Studying languages, philosophy and arts in general is condered "gay". Think of this scenario:

"Hey, man, what have you been up to?"

"You know what? I read some articles about male suicide rates and it turns out..."

"Ha gaaaay! I swear our generation is getting pussified. Just grow a pair."

How likely is that person to continue searching for these topics (and write an article or two) when the person he values so much (a friend at that age is the ultimate judge) dimisses it that way?

naruball said:

Fantastic post. I rarely read long posts, but this one was worth it. As for the comic, that was indeed quite funny. I think I have an answer, though I could be wrong. It all goes back to men being told not to express their feelings. There are so many expressions used from parents, friends, classmates that make men stay as far away from certain topics/fields as possible. Studying languages, philosophy and arts in general is condered "gay". Think of this scenario:

"You know what? I read some articles about male suicide rates and it turns out..."

How likely is that person to continue searching for these topics (and write an article or two) when the person he values so much (a friend at that age is the ultimate judge) dimisses it that way?

yea that exactly is the kind of toxic machismo that hurts men as much as women and hence feminists try to spread awareness - yet it can't be overcome if men don't participate in getting rid of that (ofcourse I'm not naive enough to think it can be completely eradicated)

FragileSurface said:

It sounds like you're a gender egaliatarian so why not call yourself that?  It's less confusing, more accurate and affects a broader range of people.  The term feminism needs to die.  If a feminist isn't willing to embrace the term 'gender-egalitarian'  then the don't truly want equality.

It's not confusing; it has been used for decades and everyone knows what it means.

False.  The term has been used for decades but not everyone knows what it means.  It may not even have a singular meaning.  The person that I quoted even decided to clarify exactly what being a feminist meant to him.  You're simply wrong.

KLXVER said:
Men and women are equal in the western world now. They have the same rights. Women might even have a few more. Its not needed here anymore. Go fight for women in places were they barely have any rights.

You can take that up with the World Economic Forum because their statistics strongly disagree, as do a multitude of others far too numerous to cite.

(Here's their overall gender parity score by country. As you can see, none has yet achieved gender equality by objective, material measures.)

vivster said:
I for one think that every character in every videogame should be female. And everyone who disagrees is a meninist.

Yes. Yes, that's EXACTLY what I've proposed. *rolls eyes*

(What is a "meninist" anyway? Do you mean a masculinist? That is a real thing, actually. It differs from feminism in that it is all about promoting traditional gender roles and in that its adherents tend to be openly male supremacist, as in they use that term to describe themselves.)

VGPolyglot said:
kljesta64 said:

I hear feminists like playstation.

Can confirm, am feminist, like Playstation.

For me, it changes from time to time depending on what company attitudes are like at any given point. In general, yes, between the three major console companies, presently it could be said that Sony is the one I respect the most. A couple years ago, it was Microsoft, but Sony has really stepped up their game lately with respect to publishing more female-focused titles and DLC and so forth. Nintendo, on the other hand, has done some things that really annoy me lately, like eliminating the female lead from their only franchise that had one (Metroid) and that's really a shame because the original Metroid happened to be the title that originally got me into gaming. (Not that was always a feminist, but you know what I mean. :P ) That hasn't stopped me from buying a Switch (nope, I don't hate Nintendo or anything, and I do think about more than JUST gender issues), but still.

Around the Network
naruball said:

For some reason, I have never ran into that attitude you told about in your post.

You know, the post you liked described how you could support something that you don't even stand for, it was a very narrow view on the subject. If you support the movement, you support everything the movement stands for. Why would you join feministic movement to support something the feministic movement doesn't support, instead of joining a movement that supports the same things you do. The more diverse the movement is, the less it is driving the things you support (because of people have differing interests). If you join a movement to support things the movement doesn't support, it is still you alone supporting the things, only the difference is, that now you support it in the inside instead being on the outside.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Jaicee said:
KLXVER said:
Men and women are equal in the western world now. They have the same rights. Women might even have a few more. Its not needed here anymore. Go fight for women in places were they barely have any rights.

You can take that up with the World Economic Forum because their statistics strongly disagree, as do a multitude of others far too numerous to cite.

(Here's their overall gender parity score by country. As you can see, none has yet achieved gender equality by objective, material measures.)

Tbh, I have to agree with some people that say that some of these statistics are wrong or at least misleading. Like, do they take into account how dangerous some of the jobs that some men do compare to the jobs women are assigned to in the same company?

Or, would you, as an employer hire a woman in her early thirties who hasn't had a baby but is married over a man with similar qualifications? Would you promote a woman who will most likely need to be absent from work for long periods in the future?

Modern day feminists don't care about equal rights for the sexes and it's getting closer day by day to it's man-hating stereotype in reality.  Most people understand that.

"85% Of Americans Believe In Women’s Equality, But Only 18% Identify As Feminist"

http://thelala.com/believe-womens-equality-identify-as-feminist/

"More than two thirds of Britons support gender equality – but just seven per cent would call themselves feminists."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/only-7-per-cent-of-britons-consider-themselves-feminists/

That's interesting and enlightning.

A lot of modern day feminists think men's rights are a joke and poisonous to women's rights at face value without looking into it. Most of them don't care about equality. 

A documentary called "The Red Pill" about men's rights and feminism is worth a watch. It was created a by a feminist btw.

To me, the majority of modern feminists are hypocritical and the movement lost it's legitimacy. I try to ignore them when I come across their idiocy. It's a mockery of old school feminism.

bdbdbd said:
naruball said:

For some reason, I have never ran into that attitude you told about in your post.

You know, the post you liked described how you could support something that you don't even stand for, it was a very narrow view on the subject. If you support the movement, you support everything the movement stands for. Why would you join feministic movement to support something the feministic movement doesn't support, instead of joining a movement that supports the same things you do. The more diverse the movement is, the less it is driving the things you support (because of people have differing interests). If you join a movement to support things the movement doesn't support, it is still you alone supporting the things, only the difference is, that now you support it in the inside instead being on the outside.

That's a good point and I'm not just saying it. I mean it. I've thought about it. But the problem is that sometimes you can't find a group which represents your views 100%. It may be close to some of your views and with your involvment in that group, you can educate them on some topics (or you may find youself being the ignorant after all).You also likely find a lot of people who share yoru views but didn't speak up for x number of reasons.

I recently watched a documentary about LGBT rights in America. Gays and feminists (many of whom were lesbians) disagreed on a whole lot of things but they didn't achieve much until they started supporting each other. Them working together forced them to open up their eyes and start giving a damn about a different cause than their own; eventually they got the numbers to be able to make a difference.

As for the bolded, you may have without even realising it? I noticed it countless times in whichever country I lived. I intereacted with men (and women) from all sorts of countries and this was an extremely commin attitude. I think it's one of those things that you notice more if you identify it as a problem. For example you may not see racism around you when it doesn't affect you much or is a topic that never interested you all that much. It doesn't matter that's not occuring. Of course it also possible for someone to be obsessed with something to the point that that's all they see (especially with confirmation bias)

Aeolus451 said:

Modern day feminists don't care about equal rights for the sexes and it's getting closer day by day to it's man-hating stereotype in reality.  Most people understand that.

"85% Of Americans Believe In Women’s Equality, But Only 18% Identify As Feminist"

http://thelala.com/believe-womens-equality-identify-as-feminist/

"More than two thirds of Britons support gender equality – but just seven per cent would call themselves feminists."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/only-7-per-cent-of-britons-consider-themselves-feminists/

That's interesting and enlightning.

A lot of modern day feminists think men's rights are a joke and poisonous to women's rights at face value without looking into it. Most of them don't care about equality. 

A documentary called "The Red Pill" about men's rights and feminism is worth a watch. It was created a by a feminist btw.

To me, the majority of modern feminists are hypocritical and the movement lost it's legitimacy. I try to ignore them when I come across their idiocy. It's a mockery of old school feminism.

Only 85%? That means that 15% still thinks that women should have less rights than men, which is quite a lot actually.