By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why Are Feminists Evil?

So I've responded to a small chunk of stuff on page 10 (I can't possibly respond to everything that's been said since I posted this thread this morning, so I prioritize), but wanted to just briefly elaborate a little on my opinion of Feminist Frequency (a.k.a. Anita, Carolyn, and the rest) since that seems to be a point of particular contention:

I like them. I like them as people and, frankly, for the most part have similar taste in games (or at least in favorite games). A lot of the games they've reviewed the best and recommended the most highly are also among my own favorites, like Gone Home, Papo & Yo, the Portal games, Night in the Woods, Beyond Good & Evil, Kentucky Route Zero, and so forth. I don't always agree with how they review games though because, as you may have noticed, there's a general genre preference there favoring graphic adventures. I tend to like graphic adventures best too, but I think they tend to gauge the quality of basically everything, including action-adventures, by the standards of graphic adventures, i.e. how similar they are to quality graphic adventures. (For example, it cannot be said that I took Carolyn's review of Rise of the Tomb Raider too seriously.) Most of the time. Not always. They're great at reviewing graphic adventures though and those tend to be my favorite kinds of games. :) Other reviewers (except for notably the guy who does the Errant Signal web site) don't tend to do as well at reviewing games from that genre, IMO, because they don't talk about the story or themes, which are pretty much what graphic adventures are all about, you know? I mean, Night in the Woods is only a story-driven game. Why would you talk about the story? That's not relevant! ;)

In terms of the Tropes vs. Women in Video Games series, mostly I like that too. Especially the original Damsel in Distress trilogy. In some of the videos, they reach a bit far for examples, sometimes highlighting things that the player CAN do, but is actually disincentivized from doing, and I find those kinds of things disingenuous.

As far as underlying perspective goes, Anita, Carolyn, are pretty much the textbook definition of fourth wave (which is to say humanist) feminists, the essence of which is the promotion of 'authentic' representations, as those are seen as being the only kind that aren't dehumanizing. Personally, and I hope this doesn't come off as terribly anti-intellectual, but I think philosophy is bullshit. Every feminist wave has a different underlying philosophy. The core value does not change though, and so that is what I define feminism as being about: the principle of gender equality, not a complex system of values ostensibly surrounding that. I don't mind at all if characters or game contents are heavily stylized or idealized. Sometimes I even prefer it just as a fantasy. But I have to concede that I do tend to feel more connected to a game when its characters and/or aesthetic feel very true to life.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:

Modern day feminists don't care about equal rights for the sexes and it's getting closer day by day to it's man-hating stereotype in reality.  Most people understand that.

"85% Of Americans Believe In Women’s Equality, But Only 18% Identify As Feminist"

http://thelala.com/believe-womens-equality-identify-as-feminist/

"More than two thirds of Britons support gender equality – but just seven per cent would call themselves feminists."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/only-7-per-cent-of-britons-consider-themselves-feminists/

That's interesting and enlightning.

A lot of modern day feminists think men's rights are a joke and poisonous to women's rights at face value without looking into it. Most of them don't care about equality. 

To me, the majority of modern feminists are hypocritical and the movement lost it's legitimacy. I try to ignore them when I come across their idiocy. It's a mockery of old school feminism.

Is it? Because it can be interepreted in many ways. One of them is that people who hate feminists focus so much on the radicals that the whole movement is paint in the worst colours possible to the point than no one wants to support it other than people who don't care about other people's opinion all that much.

I don't consider myself a feminist, but I'm glad the feminist movement exist. Statistics like that can be incredibly misleading.

Jaicee said:
KLXVER said:
Men and women are equal in the western world now. They have the same rights. Women might even have a few more. Its not needed here anymore. Go fight for women in places were they barely have any rights.

You can take that up with the World Economic Forum because their statistics strongly disagree, as do a multitude of others far too numerous to cite.

(Here's their overall gender parity score by country. As you can see, none has yet achieved gender equality by objective, material measures.)

vivster said:
I for one think that every character in every videogame should be female. And everyone who disagrees is a meninist.

Yes. Yes, that's EXACTLY what I've proposed. *rolls eyes*

(What is a "meninist" anyway? Do you mean a masculinist? That is a real thing, actually. It differs from feminism in that it is all about promoting traditional gender roles and in that its adherents tend to be openly male supremacist, as in they use that term to describe themselves.)

VGPolyglot said:

Can confirm, am feminist, like Playstation.

For me, it changes from time to time depending on what company attitudes are like at any given point. In general, yes, between the three major console companies, presently it could be said that Sony is the one I respect the most. A couple years ago, it was Microsoft, but Sony has really stepped up their game lately with respect to publishing more female-focused titles and DLC and so forth. Nintendo, on the other hand, has done some things that really annoy me lately, like eliminating the female lead from their only franchise that had one (Metroid) and that's really a shame because the original Metroid happened to be the title that originally got me into gaming. (Not that was always a feminist, but you know what I mean. :P ) That hasn't stopped me from buying a Switch (nope, I don't hate Nintendo or anything, and I do think about more than JUST gender issues), but still.

Umm... Isn't there a big number of female focused games on 3DS? You approach the problem from a very narrow angle (in terms of Nintendo, at least). You point out that Nintendo isn't making female focused games, which is true, but they're not making male focused games either. You're using typical feminist rhetoric you see everywhere: women want a privilege on something because there's no "womens thing", when there's no "mens thing" either. This would be like left handed people complaining about the lack of pens for left handed people.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

naruball said:
Aeolus451 said:

Modern day feminists don't care about equal rights for the sexes and it's getting closer day by day to it's man-hating stereotype in reality.  Most people understand that.

"85% Of Americans Believe In Women’s Equality, But Only 18% Identify As Feminist"

http://thelala.com/believe-womens-equality-identify-as-feminist/

"More than two thirds of Britons support gender equality – but just seven per cent would call themselves feminists."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/only-7-per-cent-of-britons-consider-themselves-feminists/

That's interesting and enlightning.

A lot of modern day feminists think men's rights are a joke and poisonous to women's rights at face value without looking into it. Most of them don't care about equality. 

To me, the majority of modern feminists are hypocritical and the movement lost it's legitimacy. I try to ignore them when I come across their idiocy. It's a mockery of old school feminism.

Is it? Because it can be interepreted in many ways. One of them is that people who hate feminists focus so much on the radicals that the whole movement is paint in the worst colours possible to the point than no one wants to support it other than people who don't care about other people's opinion all that much.

I don't consider myself a feminist, but I'm glad the feminist movement exist. Statistics like that can be incredibly misleading.

It's not misleading. It tells a clear picture about what modern day feminism has become. It lost it's way a long time ago. People know that Feminism doesn't stand for equality amoungst the sexes. I completely believe in equality for both sexes but I wouldn't call myself a feminist. I'm not saying that feminism shouldn't exist or anything like that but it is completely misguided and lost it's way. It needs to be dismantled and reformed. 

Here's another interesting video with a feminist trying to prove that men are more privileged or have it better.  Watch it because it's enlightening and interesting.

naruball said:
setsunatenshi said:

How many of those reasonable ones get millions in donations and get to speak at the UN council as well as having tons and tons of mainstream websites / media regurgitating their talking points?

exactly...

Also in the example you have provided, I'm all for them discussing those or other topics. As long as they don't feel like they have some moral highground to make others conform to what they perceive as correct.

The discussion about language I find particularly harmful as it has the smell of thought and speach police. As if limiting the use of x or y words is the correct way to solve any problem.

Also the societal pressures I find a completely pointless subject (again, they should feel free to discuss it as much as they want) because these will always exist. It also reeks of an attempt to control sexuality and what people feel attracted to. Like for some reason it's bad to have a sexy woman / man displaying some sensuality in media.

So yeah, there's plenty of points I would disagree even with the more rational kind of feminists, which again, does not in any way make them evil like the OP suggested.

I don't know exactly because a lot of feminists in politics don't scream "I'm a feminist". They don't do anything outrageous for it to become news and the rest of us to find out. They do their job, get their funding and the rest of us just don't hear about it. I noticed some of Emma Watson's speeches and they were all great, imho. Same with Angelina Jolie, Jeniffer Lawrence and others I can't think of at the moment. My point is, since I don't know what percentage they represent, I won't assume most feminists are great. Because that would make be biased. I'd like to believe/I hope that a great number of them fight the good fight.

As for language, I think it's a good idea, but I can see why some disagree with it. I haven't experienced the discrimination that women do in the work field, but I've read several articles, have heard from women whom I respect that they don't get the treatment they deserve. Once a feminist friend pointed out that there is no need to say "she's got balls" to describe a woman, I thought about it for a second and tried not to say it again, because I agreed with her. She didn't enforce her beliefs or give me a lecture. She just mentioned a study she had recently read. I think this kind of conversation is healthy. The extreme verrsion of that, I most certainly disagree with.

Disagreeing with them is absolutely fine. I do too, especially with those who think that women have had it so bad for so long that if men have it a little worse now it's all good. I've been in more disagreements with feminists than I can count. I still respect some of their beliefs.

The point I was trying to make is that supporting equal treatment and fairness for people regardless of gender does one NOT a feminist make.

There's a lot more baggage that comes with it and way too many 'feminisms' with different fundamental beliefs, theory of pathriarchy and so on.

So unless we fall into the no true feminist fallacy, how about we ditch the label that generates so much contention (especially since it's not gender neutral to start with) and agree to the set of principles that we do have in common? I'm all for fair treatment of all humans, and I would appreciate people would stop the thought and tone police of what's ok or not ok to say, feel, draw, play, read and overall enjoy.

Around the Network
naruball said:

That's a good point and I'm not just saying it. I mean it. I've thought about it. But the problem is that sometimes you can't find a group which represents your views 100%. It may be close to some of your views and with your involvment in that group, you can educate them on some topics (or you may find youself being the ignorant after all).You also likely find a lot of people who share yoru views but didn't speak up for x number of reasons.

I recently watched a documentary about LGBT rights in America. Gays and feminists (many of whom were lesbians) disagreed on a whole lot of things but they didn't achieve much until they started supporting each other. Them working together forced them to open up their eyes and start giving a damn about a different cause than their own; eventually they got the numbers to be able to make a difference.

As for the bolded, you may have without even realising it? I noticed it countless times in whichever country I lived. I intereacted with men (and women) from all sorts of countries and this was an extremely commin attitude. I think it's one of those things that you notice more if you identify it as a problem. For example you may not see racism around you when it doesn't affect you much or is a topic that never interested you all that much. It doesn't matter that's not occuring. Of course it also possible for someone to be obsessed with something to the point that that's all they see (especially with confirmation bias)

No, I haven't met it without realising it. I have met people who just don't know how to help. All they can say is to either to go to a shrink or cry a river, build a bridge and get over it. 

Yes of course I can see your point. If it fits you the best, then it is the right movement for you. Everyone's going to need to make compromises, but if the movement isn't supporting what you believe in, then it just isn't for you. So, who's political views gays and feminists were supporting then?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

naruball said:

So, what you're trying to say with the statistics comment? Can't be trusted, or what? If those statistics can't be trusted, can we trust the statistics the feminists use to prove their point on gender unequality? If we can, why can we trust them, but not these statistics?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

bdbdbd said:
naruball said:

So, what you're trying to say with the statistics comment? Can't be trusted, or what? If those statistics can't be trusted, can we trust the statistics the feminists use to prove their point on gender unequality? If we can, why can we trust them, but not these statistics?

Gonna have to quote myself to answer that.

"Tbh, I have to agree with some people that say that some of these statistics are wrong or at least misleading. Like, do they take into account how dangerous some of the jobs that some men do compare to the jobs women are assigned to in the same company?

Or, would you, as an employer hire a woman in her early thirties who hasn't had a baby but is married over a man with similar qualifications? Would you promote a woman who will most likely need to be absent from work for long periods in the future?"

The polls the other user cited show that most people don't claim to be feminists, not that they don't like the feminist movement, not that there is anything wrong with feminism. So, yes, it is misleading. Out of the people who answered, who knows what they meant when they said they're not feminists. It could mean a whole lot of things (hated, indifferent to them, kind of like them, like them, but I'm not part of their group, etc). If someone were to ask me "are you a buddhist?", I would answer "no", but based on what I've heard about it, I'd say its message sounds great. I just don't want to label myself that way.

bdbdbd said:

No, I haven't met it without realising it. I have met people who just don't know how to help. All they can say is to either to go to a shrink or cry a river, build a bridge and get over it. 

Yes of course I can see your point. If it fits you the best, then it is the right movement for you. Everyone's going to need to make compromises, but if the movement isn't supporting what you believe in, then it just isn't for you. So, who's political views gays and feminists were supporting then?

"Cry me a river" is exactly what I'm talking about. Dismissing it as something unimportant.

They were supporting their own causes. Gays supported gays, feminists only women. Then some members of each group started going to meetings of the other and saw the problems they were facing and wanted to help. The greater in numbers the movement became, the more people started to notice and the less politicians could ignore them.

spurgeonryan said:
Because it seems these days more and more feminist are extreme feminists. Whether you want to call that female supremacy or feminist or extreme, it is up to you.

It seems in the American society everything is taken to the extreme. Pro this and pro that with no limits. Political correctness to the extreme. Even sports have an extreme title to some of them. Groups go from trying to help to being crazy such as PETA.

It starts to get people upset. When you hear about boys in kindergarten not being allowed to play with legos to help close the gap you know we have gone too far.

Hell, kids can't even play dodgeball these days because pussy ass parents are afraid their wimpy kid will somehow get hurt by a rubber ball.  Anyways, I agree with you.  It is the extremes in every group that make their group look like shit.  I'm all for equal rights and pay but some topics/issues are overblown (or aren't even an issue) and it makes their group look like idiots.