By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the Scorpio is too powerful for $399, what does that mean for PS5?

2-3 years is a significant amount of time in terms of computing...

Around the Network
Barkley said:

Also the PS4 Hardware was sold at a profit after just 6 months. So his statement is just plain wrong.

"Sony president Kaz Hirai said the PS4 was "already contributing profit on a hardware unit basis" May 2014

Whats even funnier is that that staement doesn't even suggest that it took that long for the PS4 to be being sold at a profit. That was just when kaz talked about it. Nothing could have changed in the hardware space between launch and 6 months after for the console to go from  selling at a loss of any kind to selling at a profit. Well... except shipping, air freight is more expensive than sea freight and they only use the former when having stock issues.

Its no secret that that the PS4 cost only around $380 to make when it launched. And stores take a very little markup off console sales because they too make more from selling software and accessories than from the actual hardware.

Azzanation said:

You guessed right. I was referring to there hardware profits..

And my message clearly doesnt say MS is better off not selling more than PS.. omg haha where do your conclusions come from?

My main message is clear. Hardware sales DOES NOT tell the full story of a products success. 

In other words Scorpio doesn't have to outsell PS4 to be successful and profitable.

Then you are having the wrong conversation with everyone.

I do not think a SINGLE person has said that XB1 (i am using the entire XB1 family here [XB1s+Scorpio] has to outsell PS4 to be successful or that anyone has even suggested that it will somehow be able to.

What people have said is that it could be doing better if they did a couple of things. In other words, they could even be more profitable if they did certain things.

We are at the halfway point, expecting around 20,21 release. I really hope they go for a 499 price tag, or hopefully by then an upgradable ps5, or a subsription / pay by the month method. I hope they have the balls to release something great and not worry about the price. When you look at what people pay for cellphones, it's crazy.

Azzanation said:
Intrinsic said:

So your decisions are based on the cmpanies making money?

And you may say MS doesn't care about sales and how even MS themselves say they don't care about sales (go figure)...... but I am willing to bet you $50 that MS would probably love to be the one that is pushing on 60M consoles sold and not the one still trying to hit 30M. And being that they don't care about sales I can't for the life of me understand why they were and have been slashing the price of the XB1 as much as they have.... especially last year.

But hey waht do I know. MS says they don't care about sales.

But just outta curiosity though; doesn't more sales also mean more profit?I mean its not like sony is selling teh PS4 at a loss right?

Do you understand the difference between a Buisness Market and a Sport Competition?

Sure its a no brainer that all companies want to sell the most products, i also want to be the richest guy in the world, is my life over because i am not the richest man in the world, do i just give up on making money because someone else is making more money than me? Does Xbox have to outsell the PS4 to be a profitable brand? No. It doesnt. MS can give Xbox away for $1 for many years just to claim the title of best selling console in the world if they really wanted to win a sales race. They dont and i am glad they dont either. Sales mean nothing if your not making money on it.

Also you do know for the first few years of a new console being sold they are losing money on it. I believe only now Sony are making profit on the PS4, not 2 or 3 years ago. If every PS4 was sold at a loss *Lets say -$1* and than you have a console that goes out to sell 30m in its first 2 years.. what does that tell you? The real profit is in the software and the subscribers. We all know Xbox has a healthy subsciber rate and there own software is normally up there with the others, yet they didnt sell as many consoles as PS4 which is where the gaming industry normally loses money. 

I am not defending Xbox, i couldnt care less how much they sell. Sure it would be nice however it doesnt tell the true story. Iv been playing World Of Warcraft for more than 12 years. I am a subsciber since 2005. Is WoW the best selling game of all time? No, is WoW one of the most profitable games in history? Most likely yes. Actual physical copies/Hardware is all a bonus and slightly helps, its not a make or break competition. Theres no Gold Trophy at the end of a season on who wins the sales race. Its not a sport like many of you try to believe. Its a buisness. Like Cars. I own a Jaguar, its definifty not the best selling car in the world. Does it make it not a good car? Far from it.

Alright, VGC really needs to do a series of articles on business economics for video game nerds because I hear crap like this and "Nintendo could lose money for the next ** years and still be fine!" and it's all nonsense.

The moment shareholders realized that it would be nearly impossible to make up the lost revenue from selling the Xbox One at a $298.99 loss the stock price would take a huge hit, the board of directors would call for an immediate end to the practice and would lose all faith in the division, and they'd probably want the person who came up with the idea removed.

The value of a publicly traded business isn't like a personal checking account. Their value relies on shareholder confidence, so doing stupid things can have huge financial implications for a company.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:

I get you're a HW enthusiast, but maybe you should keep up with HW news. Vega 20 is 2018, which could possibly be put in a PS5 if it gets cheap enough the following year. Navi isn't coming til 2019, now. No way it'll be cheap enough if the PS5 is also coming in 2019.  I agree we may get something better than a Ryzen 1700, though, personally I'm not expecting it.  Also, if you're a HW enthusiast, why care about a console that's built with as much power as they can stick in without going over the $399 price tag? Stick with PC.

I think you might be a little confused. Navi and Vega are still set for their release dates. Vega 20 is another chip entirely and that could be dropping as late as 2019. Vega 10 will be launching this year with the Radeon RX500 series.
We might even see a dual-GPU Vega 10 chip this year as well.

AMD *has* to update it's entire GPU lineup with a new name (Aka. RX 500 series) on a yearly cadence for OEM's, which means at-least a couple of new GPU's.

http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-gpu-navi-gpu-hbm2-2017-2018/
https://videocardz.com/63700/exclusive-first-details-about-amd-vega10-and-vega20
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Vega-GPU-Architecture-Preview-Redesigned-Memory-Architecture
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11002/the-amd-vega-gpu-architecture-teaser

When it comes to these things, I tend to have a track record of being right more often than not. ;)

As for why I want consoles to have more power? That's simple. Consoles are the lowest common denominators.
They are the lowest performing platforms that mainstream AAA games are built for. The better they are, the better PC games graphically become.

Besides, I personally prefer newer chip architectures over older, antiquated designs as the older designs don't leverage new techniques and efficiency gains.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Sony will need to wait until 2019 or 2020 in order to bring a console for $399 that's a sufficient upgrade over Scorpio.

My 8th gen collection

Pemalite said:
thismeintiel said:

I get you're a HW enthusiast, but maybe you should keep up with HW news. Vega 20 is 2018, which could possibly be put in a PS5 if it gets cheap enough the following year. Navi isn't coming til 2019, now. No way it'll be cheap enough if the PS5 is also coming in 2019.  I agree we may get something better than a Ryzen 1700, though, personally I'm not expecting it.  Also, if you're a HW enthusiast, why care about a console that's built with as much power as they can stick in without going over the $399 price tag? Stick with PC.

I think you might be a little confused. Navi and Vega are still set for their release dates. Vega 20 is another chip entirely and that could be dropping as late as 2019. Vega 10 will be launching this year with the Radeon RX500 series.
We might even see a dual-GPU Vega 10 chip this year as well.

AMD *has* to update it's entire GPU lineup with a new name (Aka. RX 500 series) on a yearly cadence for OEM's, which means at-least a couple of new GPU's.

http://wccftech.com/amd-vega-gpu-navi-gpu-hbm2-2017-2018/
https://videocardz.com/63700/exclusive-first-details-about-amd-vega10-and-vega20
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Vega-GPU-Architecture-Preview-Redesigned-Memory-Architecture
http://www.anandtech.com/show/11002/the-amd-vega-gpu-architecture-teaser

When it comes to these things, I tend to have a track record of being right more often than not. ;)

As for why I want consoles to have more power? That's simple. Consoles are the lowest common denominators.
They are the lowest performing platforms that mainstream AAA games are built for. The better they are, the better PC games graphically become.

Besides, I personally prefer newer chip architectures over older, antiquated designs as the older designs don't leverage new techniques and efficiency gains.

Ok.  Those are all older links, with only one being the very beginning of 2017.  Here's some newer ones I found that all point to a 2019 release of Navi.  Also, the slides in their suggest a 2018 release of the Vega 20.

http://segmentnext.com/2017/01/17/navi-10-amd-gpu/
http://www.game-debate.com/news/22121/amd-plans-to-launch-7nm-navi-10-gpu-with-up-to-128gb-memory-in-2019
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55875/amd-launch-monster-navi-10-2019-next-gen-ram/index.html
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-vega-gpu-specifications

As for the power, I can understand that.  Though, I think most devs do enough to push PCs, especially with all the graphic options they usually put in their games.  And it isn't like a single 1080 Ti can run every game in Ultra at 4K60FPS.  Of course, a lot of that has to do with devs not coding and optimizing for just one card.  Really, I don't think you're ever going to get that until tens of millions are willing to throw down $600-$700 just for a new card, which I doubt will ever happen. 

I guess you're just going to have to deal with the status quo.  Sony is going to try to put as much power as they can into a $399 box, without taking too much of a hit, because that's what tens of millions of console gamers want.  Like I have been saying, I fully expect something along the lines of a Ryzen 1700 (with the possibility of Zen+, instead) for the CPU and a Vega 10 for the GPU, both customized with some advancements from the next 2 years.  Not top of the line, but definitely enough of a gap over the OG PS4 (6x-6.5x, the same gap as last gen to the current one) to warrant a new gen.  And if Sony does another Pro, than we should see a Vega 10x Dual in there, like they did with the PS4 Pro.

Intrinsic said:
Azzanation said:

You guessed right. I was referring to there hardware profits..

And my message clearly doesnt say MS is better off not selling more than PS.. omg haha where do your conclusions come from?

My main message is clear. Hardware sales DOES NOT tell the full story of a products success. 

In other words Scorpio doesn't have to outsell PS4 to be successful and profitable.

Then you are having the wrong conversation with everyone.

I do not think a SINGLE person has said that XB1 (i am using the entire XB1 family here [XB1s+Scorpio] has to outsell PS4 to be successful or that anyone has even suggested that it will somehow be able to.

What people have said is that it could be doing better if they did a couple of things. In other words, they could even be more profitable if they did certain things.

This is where i will agree, and in saying that, you can say the exact same thing to any company and its products, there is always a better way in doing things, nothing is perfect. I think Scorpio will do Xbox well, it wont outsell the PS4 or Pro however it will be a successful console for MS. (My opinion)

Normchacho said:
Azzanation said:

Do you understand the difference between a Buisness Market and a Sport Competition?

Sure its a no brainer that all companies want to sell the most products, i also want to be the richest guy in the world, is my life over because i am not the richest man in the world, do i just give up on making money because someone else is making more money than me? Does Xbox have to outsell the PS4 to be a profitable brand? No. It doesnt. MS can give Xbox away for $1 for many years just to claim the title of best selling console in the world if they really wanted to win a sales race. They dont and i am glad they dont either. Sales mean nothing if your not making money on it.

Also you do know for the first few years of a new console being sold they are losing money on it. I believe only now Sony are making profit on the PS4, not 2 or 3 years ago. If every PS4 was sold at a loss *Lets say -$1* and than you have a console that goes out to sell 30m in its first 2 years.. what does that tell you? The real profit is in the software and the subscribers. We all know Xbox has a healthy subsciber rate and there own software is normally up there with the others, yet they didnt sell as many consoles as PS4 which is where the gaming industry normally loses money. 

I am not defending Xbox, i couldnt care less how much they sell. Sure it would be nice however it doesnt tell the true story. Iv been playing World Of Warcraft for more than 12 years. I am a subsciber since 2005. Is WoW the best selling game of all time? No, is WoW one of the most profitable games in history? Most likely yes. Actual physical copies/Hardware is all a bonus and slightly helps, its not a make or break competition. Theres no Gold Trophy at the end of a season on who wins the sales race. Its not a sport like many of you try to believe. Its a buisness. Like Cars. I own a Jaguar, its definifty not the best selling car in the world. Does it make it not a good car? Far from it.

Alright, VGC really needs to do a series of articles on business economics for video game nerds because I hear crap like this and "Nintendo could lose money for the next ** years and still be fine!" and it's all nonsense.

The moment shareholders realized that it would be nearly impossible to make up the lost revenue from selling the Xbox One at a $298.99 loss the stock price would take a huge hit, the board of directors would call for an immediate end to the practice and would lose all faith in the division, and they'd probably want the person who came up with the idea removed.

The value of a publicly traded business isn't like a personal checking account. Their value relies on shareholder confidence, so doing stupid things can have huge financial implications for a company.

Its always good to keep the share holders happy. However look at it like this. There are many ways to make a profit. MS could give Xbox away for free however put them as a 5 year plan though Live Subscibtions etc. They could also have Bill Gates as a major share holder who probably doesnt care as much as other share holders and probably invests for the hell of it (Assumption, dont take that too serious). Money isnt an issue at MS. They have it, plenty of it. They also want to continue to make more money hence why i said i am glad they dont care for the sales figures because if they did want to win a sales race they can afford to lose on products to gain those sales and still bring out another console.

This is why they choose to have less 1st party studios and get 3rd party studios to make there games, it clearly works out cheaper this way for them. They also are making a Scorpio and i can bet there is a Xbox 2 (Next Gen System) on its way in the next few years. If they arent making money on Xbox than they wouldnt be going though all this.

In the end i agree with the Share holder view. Iv been saying share holders is a very important aspect for years. However that doesnt mean sales mean everything, aslong as profits are turned, share holders are happy and this is why we continue to have Xbox as a console manufacture. Because Xbox and Live are bringing in the money.

Eight years of 2% inflation in the US would make a $399 value in 2013 be close to $480 in 2021.

https://inflationcalculator.mes.fm/?gclid=CNCa2JWupNMCFYEfhgodWWQItw

The US personal and household income are also pointing up since the beginning fo the decade.

A $499 price by 2020 is not that much more than the PS1 costed when launched in 1995.