By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the Scorpio is too powerful for $399, what does that mean for PS5?

It seems all this talk about about Scorpio has people wondering about PS5. I mean I never heard so much talk about PS5 until Scorpio specs were made official.

I think Sony is going to try to hit the sweet spot of $399 again, it clearly works for them. If so though, can it be signfiicantly more powerful than Scorpio?

The general concensus is Scorpio can't be $399, it just too much power in a box to acheive that price. The best you can apparently do at that price is PS4 Pro.

So if the PS5 is about 3 years away... what could it possibly offer at that price? Can it be a device that makes the Scorpio look like a dated piece of crap?!?! Any chance it will have games too demanding for the Scorpio to handle? I'm doubting it.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

We're talking about 1 year's difference in tech vs. 2-3 years before we're likely to see PS5 and perhaps XB2. I'd say that's plenty of time for Scorpio beating hardware at the $400 price point, especially when tech we've been anticipating for some time (7nm, Zen, Navi, etc) should be ready for consoles by then.

Depends on the hardware they choose to go with. In 3 years from now a 10 TF console could like still come in at $399.

I think Scorpio will dominate globally. Sony will have to release ps5 that is as powerful as the scorpio early next year

The big jump is going to come from the CPU, Jaguar was crap when the PS4 launched, Pro/Scorpio are still using that under powered CPU.

I think PS5 will likely be 10-12TF, have 16gb/24gb of ram, modern CPU architecture. I could see this device launching for $399 holiday 2019, maybe selling for a slight loss.

That new CPU is going to do wonders.

Around the Network

Don't worry, Scorpio will be as outdated as the PS4 Pro was when it released.

Spoiler:PS5 will be outdated upon its release too :)

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I dont see PS5 before 2019. earliest so talk about PS5 is premature.

Mr Puggsly said:

I think Sony is going to try to hit the sweet spot of $399 again, it clearly works for them. If so though, can it be signfiicantly more powerful than Scorpio?

I think in 2020 doubling the performance of Scorpio for $399 should be more than possible.

Technology stands still for no one.

Zen/Ryzen, Vega, GDDR5 will all be old news by then.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

"The general concensus is Scorpio can't be $399, it just too much power in a box to acheive that price. The best you can apparently do at that price is PS4 Pro."

Yes, in 2016. Lots happens after a year.

Perhaps Scorpio wont be $399, but the economics are in its favor a year later. Manufacturing process is more mature, etc...Think about it, AMD can sell a discrete RX480 under $200 pretty much at launch, costing them much less to manufacture the actual silicon/chip. There is nothing exhorbitant in the remainder of of it all that says these companies are bleeding $400 a box to sell them at cost in the volumes they are producing them in.

PC I i7 3770K @4.5Ghz I 16GB 2400Mhz I GTX 980Ti FTW

Consoles I PS4 Pro I Xbox One S 2TB I Wii U I Xbox 360 S

Uh, there will be better hardware available at the same prices? It is reasonable to presume the PS5 will not come before the 7 nm shrink promised by Global Foundries and TSMC for 2019 (actually around 10-12 nm, since it is a node and a half below the so called 14/16 nm nodes, which are 20 nm in reality) that should bring three times better density and up to 70% less power consumption.