By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the Scorpio is too powerful for $399, what does that mean for PS5?

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

So it means PS5 will be super powerful right ?

By today's standards yes. The PS5 will be insanse by 2017 standards, but it will be midling by 2019/2020 standards just like all consoles are when they launch.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Scorpio is $399, in fact, that's what I'm expecting. MS didn't build this thing so that it wouldn't sell, they're trying to regain traction amongst the hardcore gamers that left them en masse at the beginning of the gen. Pro isn't going to cost $399 this fall, either, I would bet. Scorpio is built with similar parts as the Pro, even, with a custom polaris gpu and custom jaguar cpu, albeit more (and more expensive) Ram and a likely more expensive cooling system to get clock speeds higher. So it will cost more than Pro, but considering Pro is likely to drop price this year, a $399 price point will likely be attainable. 

And yes, a console coming out in 2019 or 2020 with less concern about CPU compatability will be able to be quite a bit more powerful with a Zen + Vega combo (or maybe even a better GPU, considering the timeframe). I'd bet MS will have a similarly more impressive system of their own to release at that time as well. 

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

So it means PS5 will be super powerful right ?

By todays standards? yes.

But 3 years from now there might be 20 teraflop GPUs for PC users.

Ariakon said:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Scorpio is $399, in fact, that's what I'm expecting. MS didn't build this thing so that it wouldn't sell, they're trying to regain traction amongst the hardcore gamers that left them en masse at the beginning of the gen. Pro isn't going to cost $399 this fall, either, I would bet. Scorpio is built with similar parts as the Pro, even, with a custom polaris gpu and custom jaguar cpu, albeit more (and more expensive) Ram and a likely more expensive cooling system to get clock speeds higher. So it will cost more than Pro, but considering Pro is likely to drop price this year, a $399 price point will likely be attainable. 

And yes, a console coming out in 2019 or 2020 with less concern about CPU compatability will be able to be quite a bit more powerful with a Zen + Vega combo (or maybe even a better GPU, considering the timeframe). I'd bet MS will have a similarly more impressive system of their own to release at that time as well. 

I don't think so. I mean...the Scorpio is going to have a more expensive GPU, CPU, powersupply, cooling system, HDD, disc drive, Ram...basically every component it going to be more expensive than it is on the Pro.  I just don't think prices drop fast enough to cover that big of a cost gap.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Ariakon said:

I think they want to make money on it too. As it won't sell gangbusters compared to XBox One S they can't price at a pricepoint where it will take years to make back the R&D and initial production costs of Scorpio. Might as well make a decent profit from the start from the hardcore gamers that will pay more for a premium model. I have my doubts too that Sony will lower the pro price. As long as it's less than Scorpio, they have no reason to do so, bundle it instead.

MS knows damn well that if they try to price match the pro, Sony can easily go lower and still make money. So it's probably better to sell it as a premium device.

A launch console will always be better bang for your buck. A mid gen update will sell less and needs to be profitable from the start. It will mostly sell to existing customers at first so no new xbl subscriptions or bunch of extra game sales to rely on. It might even lower game sales as those repeat customers have just 'lost' a bunch of money on a HW upgrade. (And are happy replaying their game library in 4K) Selling that HW upgrade at close to cost is not bringing in any profit.

But true, if Sony actually plans on lowering the pro price, maybe even bundle it with PSVR (if they still remember that piece of kit by then) MS might be forced to take a hit. As $150 to $200 price difference might be too much to overcome wiith premium marketing.

Around the Network
Miguel_Zorro said:

It better support 11k resolution graphics or I'm not interested.

I could understand 12K, as that would be 3 4K screens wide. 

But 11K? 

Now that's an odd number.

Miguel_Zorro said:
Hynad said:

I could understand 12K, as that would be 3 4K screens wide. 

But 11K? 

Now that's an odd number.

Ya, it is weird.  I took it from this..

https://www.engadget.com/2015/07/10/samsung-11k-display/

That kind of resolution on a mobile display like that seems... Excessive and useless. Is Samsung trying to figure out a way to make their batteries last the same number of hours before charge? 

"Hey, our batteries in our phone last longer now. We need to put some useless battery sucking tech in those so people don't go 3 days before charging...."

I mean, what is the effin' point? 2250ppi is overkill. You can't notice pixels at 600ppi on that kind of screen size.

It really isn't half as bad as you implied. Sony will have a much easier time with the PS5 vs the Scorpio, purely because the Scorpio is still an Xbox One, while the PS5 will be a new generation, rather than a faster PS4. The Scorpio sounds great on paper, but because it's still an Xbox One, it's extra power can only be used for higher resolutions and faster framerates, that's really it. It's games won't be able to have larger, more dynamic worlds, more complex AI or new kinds of systems, purely because the standard Xbox One wouldn't be able to run it. The extra power ONLY results in a smoother image output, the actual games that come out are identical. So when Sony release the PS5 with improved hardware due to the advances of the next few years, it'll be at a more reasonable price tag and they'll be able to take full advantage of that hardware with a full generational leap in terms of design and vision, which is something that Scorpio certainly won't have, as it's entirely held back by being an Xbox One and not say, an Xbox Two. Sony could launch a PS5 on the same day as Scorpio with the same specs, and it's games would be a vast improvement over Scorpio's from the start because they're not shackled like Scorpio's games will be.

2020 nope you are wrong..... 2021 at the earliest....... and yes it could be cheaper with more power , but it doenst mean that the scorpio will costs 500 it could costs 400 too, they can make better chips now with more power for same price the chips costs for the ps4pro last year with less power consumption so yeah your`re right, but that would mean that the most powerfull console (xbox scorpio) could reach the market this year for 400$!

DeadnBuried said:
It really isn't half as bad as you implied. Sony will have a much easier time with the PS5 vs the Scorpio, purely because the Scorpio is still an Xbox One, while the PS5 will be a new generation, rather than a faster PS4. The Scorpio sounds great on paper, but because it's still an Xbox One, it's extra power can only be used for higher resolutions and faster framerates, that's really it. It's games won't be able to have larger, more dynamic worlds, more complex AI or new kinds of systems, purely because the standard Xbox One wouldn't be able to run it. The extra power ONLY results in a smoother image output, the actual games that come out are identical. So when Sony release the PS5 with improved hardware due to the advances of the next few years, it'll be at a more reasonable price tag and they'll be able to take full advantage of that hardware with a full generational leap in terms of design and vision, which is something that Scorpio certainly won't have, as it's entirely held back by being an Xbox One and not say, an Xbox Two. Sony could launch a PS5 on the same day as Scorpio with the same specs, and it's games would be a vast improvement over Scorpio's from the start because they're not shackled like Scorpio's games will be.

I was going to say something similar.

Scorpio/PS5 comparisons don't really matter unless Microsoft breaks their promise about all new games needing to play on both the Scorpio and the vanilla Xbox One.  Otherwise, it's going to be enhanced Xbox One games versus next-gen PS5 games.

If Microsoft does break that promise and the Scorpio does in fact become a "next gen" device, they'll have a cheaper box to go up against the PS5 but it would obviously be older tech by that point.  The PS5 could easily hit $399 while offering a significant power boost just from the natural maturing of technology.

They could release a stronger Xbox later, of course, but headstarts are difficult to overcome.