By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the Scorpio is too powerful for $399, what does that mean for PS5?

Why not? The price on electronics drops every year with mass manufacturing.

Will it be a huge leap? Depends on what they want to do. But, the leap will be in performance, not in graphical prowess. We hopefully with get 60fps 4K.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
DeadnBuried said:
It really isn't half as bad as you implied. Sony will have a much easier time with the PS5 vs the Scorpio, purely because the Scorpio is still an Xbox One, while the PS5 will be a new generation, rather than a faster PS4. The Scorpio sounds great on paper, but because it's still an Xbox One, it's extra power can only be used for higher resolutions and faster framerates, that's really it. It's games won't be able to have larger, more dynamic worlds, more complex AI or new kinds of systems, purely because the standard Xbox One wouldn't be able to run it. The extra power ONLY results in a smoother image output, the actual games that come out are identical. So when Sony release the PS5 with improved hardware due to the advances of the next few years, it'll be at a more reasonable price tag and they'll be able to take full advantage of that hardware with a full generational leap in terms of design and vision, which is something that Scorpio certainly won't have, as it's entirely held back by being an Xbox One and not say, an Xbox Two. Sony could launch a PS5 on the same day as Scorpio with the same specs, and it's games would be a vast improvement over Scorpio's from the start because they're not shackled like Scorpio's games will be.

I was going to say something similar.

Scorpio/PS5 comparisons don't really matter unless Microsoft breaks their promise about all new games needing to play on both the Scorpio and the vanilla Xbox One.  Otherwise, it's going to be enhanced Xbox One games versus next-gen PS5 games.

If Microsoft does break that promise and the Scorpio does in fact become a "next gen" device, they'll have a cheaper box to go up against the PS5 but it would obviously be older tech by that point.  The PS5 could easily hit $399 while offering a significant power boost just from the natural maturing of technology.

They could release a stronger Xbox later, of course, but headstarts are difficult to overcome.

this is only right in the next few years...... and 2021 when the ps5 arrvives who says that ther will be not another stronger version of the xbox one for example xbox one titan also......

Then thats the system! there will be no other xbox there will be only hardware upgrade with 100% backward compability and the newgames have to be playable on the 2 newest types of machines like it is now with the  xbox one/s and xbox one scorpio... in 2 years we will se the xbox one scorpio s then 2 years later another xbox one type. so with this system every console would have 8 years support after the start, thats great!

Hynad said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

It better support 11k resolution graphics or I'm not interested.

I could understand 12K, as that would be 3 4K screens wide. 

But 11K? 

Now that's an odd number.

Ultra 11k at that.

Jigsawx1 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
It means Tech will be cheaper in 2020.

the tech is also cheaper in 2017 to 2016.......

Except tech isn't cheaper? The only public change to the GPU scene so far is a 1080ti 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Hynad said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Ya, it is weird.  I took it from this..

https://www.engadget.com/2015/07/10/samsung-11k-display/

That kind of resolution on a mobile display like that seems... Excessive and useless. Is Samsung trying to figure out a way to make their batteries last the same number of hours before charge? 

"Hey, our batteries in our phone last longer now. We need to put some useless battery sucking tech in those so people don't go 3 days before charging...."

I mean, what is the effin' point? 2250ppi is overkill. You can't notice pixels at 600ppi on that kind of screen size.

The point is, those screens will be perfect for VR headsets!

Around the Network

I think it means it's actually a long ways off.

I think a portable iteration of PS4 is more likely.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

Jigsawx1 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
It means Tech will be cheaper in 2020.

the tech is also cheaper in 2017 to 2016.......

I don't know if you missed the point.

What I'm saying is an $800 machine in 2017 is a $400 machine in 2020.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Digital Foundry or amateur people , Which Should I trust ?

Random_Matt said:
PS5 rumored 2019 with the launch of GTA VI.
Hope it's true, what's MS going to do? Release another after just two years.

Slash this one's price. 

2019/2020 PS5 will be more powerful than Scorpio for $399 with ease.

A $399 PS5 (Specs better than Scorpio, 4k/60fps, High)
(7nm APU, Ryzen+ mobile CPU @2.5GHz, 10TFlop Vega/Navi GPU, 16GB HBM2/3)

If the mid gen upgrades don't really go as well as planned, I could see PS trying a similar, yet different approach in terms of hardware releases.

With poorer sales of Pro and Scorpio than anticipated, I could see PS selling two PS5 sku's at launch.

A $349 PS5 (Specs slightly better than Scorpio, 4k/60fps, Medium)
(7nm APU, Ryzen+ mobile CPU @2.3GHz, 8TFlop Vega/Navi GPU, 16GB HBM2/3)

A $499 PS5 Pro (Specs significantly better than PS5, 4k/60fps, Ultra)
(7nm APU, Ryzen+ mobile CPU @2.8GHz, 12-14TFlop Vega/Navi GPU, 24GB HBM2/3)

Both would be sold at cost at launch, and would be expected to last the remainder of the 5-6 year long gen.