By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the Scorpio is too powerful for $399, what does that mean for PS5?

i think ps5 wont come in 3 years. id bet in 5 or 6 years.
People will compare it to scorpio and ps4 pro, not to ps4 and xbox one.
So, if they want to enter a new generation, the leap have to be big.
7nm transistors, stacked memory, wait for a gen or 2 after vega. id be a little bold and predict ARM cpu.

Around the Network

Anyone who thinks a Scorpio is going to force Sony to make a ps5 is lost when it comes to understanding what matters in gaming. Hardware only truly matters in the beginning of the gen. It's all about the games now. This is why the Scorpio is of no consequence to Sony. It's a hollow box without exclusives to show itself off.

Azzanation said:

i dont base my decisions or care about sales numbers. Its all about these companies making money to continue to deliever us these machines in the future.

Sales never tell the true story.

That's a hillariously convenient stance you've adopted. Your lack of caring about sales numbers is clearly evident by the numerous times you've discussed sales numbers in the past.

Barkley said:
Azzanation said:

i dont base my decisions or care about sales numbers. Its all about these companies making money to continue to deliever us these machines in the future.

Sales never tell the true story.

That's a hillariously convenient stance you've adopted. Your lack of caring about sales numbers is clearly evident by the numerous times you've discussed sales numbers in the past.

There's nothing "convenient" about what he said. 

Coming from him, it's just effin' hilarious.

It either means PS5 will be coming in 2022 - 2024 as a next gen console, with 2GB/s SSD tech, 20+TFLOP GPU, greatly advanced x86 or ARM based CPU, and 64GB -128GB of HBM for $399 - $499.

Or, it will come in 2019 - 2020 as a mid gen upgrade, with hopefully an SSD, 10 - 12TFLOP GPU, a slight upgrade to the CPU still 8 cores, and 24 - 32GB HBM3 for $399 - $499.

I still think we will see one more revision to PS4 and XBO on the home side, and some portable and even mobile devices added. I would not be surprised to see a Portable PS4 on 12/10nm tech next year, along with a PS4 Super Slim and a Pro Slim. Then a PS4 Premium and a PS4 Phone in 2019 or 2020, with 7nm tech, and the PS4 and Pro moving to 7nm as well.

Going forward I don't see any reason why we should not be seeing new console revisions, and hardware every year. It should be about the platform more than the hardware IMO. Having an OS and Store built around a unified set of devices from streaming devices, to phones, to consoles is what the future of the gaming industry should look like. Much higher bang for your buck, you choose when to upgrade, and developers have a beautiful simple playground to develop for that reaches billions of users.

What does Scoprio mean to PS5? It means that the market has changed, and expecting 5 - 7 year cycles, and one single static piece of hardware is a thing of the past.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Also you do know for the first few years of a new console being sold they are losing money on it. I believe only now Sony are making profit on the PS4, not 2 or 3 years ago. If every PS4 was sold at a loss *Lets say -$1* and than you have a console that goes out to sell 30m in its first 2 years.. what does that tell you? The real profit is in the software and the subscribers. We all know Xbox has a healthy subsciber rate and there own software is normally up there with the others, yet they didnt sell as many consoles as PS4 which is where the gaming industry normally loses money. 

Wait..... so now you are saying sony has not bee making money off Playstation for the past two years? Or you mean not making money from the playstation hardware. I will just assume you are referring to the latter cause if it were the former that would be just well..... crazy.

And as for the latter..... that was a really grae example  you gave. And you are right, the real money is in the software and subscribers. But I thik you are on a whole new level of spin if you are somehow suggesting MS is better off not having sold as many physical consoles as the PS4 because that means they have avoided "losing" a lot of money on "hardware" sales.

Like thats MS level PR right there.

The PS4 will continue to outsell the Scorpio in console sales. The Scorpio can have more power and more memory but it still lacks the exclusive games that Sony continues to deliver for PS4 games. The system is more powerful, it has more memory, it can do this and that but where are the exclusive system selling games?

Intrinsic said:
Azzanation said:

Also you do know for the first few years of a new console being sold they are losing money on it. I believe only now Sony are making profit on the PS4, not 2 or 3 years ago. If every PS4 was sold at a loss *Lets say -$1* and than you have a console that goes out to sell 30m in its first 2 years.. what does that tell you? The real profit is in the software and the subscribers. We all know Xbox has a healthy subsciber rate and there own software is normally up there with the others, yet they didnt sell as many consoles as PS4 which is where the gaming industry normally loses money. 

Wait..... so now you are saying sony has not bee making money off Playstation for the past two years? Or you mean not making money from the playstation hardware. I will just assume you are referring to the latter cause if it were the former that would be just well..... crazy.

And as for the latter..... that was a really grae example  you gave. And you are right, the real money is in the software and subscribers. But I thik you are on a whole new level of spin if you are somehow suggesting MS is better off not having sold as many physical consoles as the PS4 because that means they have avoided "losing" a lot of money on "hardware" sales.

Also the PS4 Hardware was sold at a profit after just 6 months. So his statement is just plain wrong.

"Sony president Kaz Hirai said the PS4 was "already contributing profit on a hardware unit basis" May 2014

Pemalite said:
thismeintiel said:

Why the hyperbole?  You're acting like those techs will be 5+ years old when the PS5 launches.  If PS5 does use them, then most likely they would only be 2 years old at that point, plus they would most likely be customized to use some small improvements from the newer tech.  Sure, they will be older and slower then the best of the best, but that's not what buying a $399 console is about.  And it would still be more powerful than the majority of PCs used by gamers.  Just like the PS4 was when it launched.

It's really no different than the Scorpio.  It's already outdated and it hasn't even launched, yet.  Of course, from the way MS is talking, they are going to be pushing this as a premium product, regardless, and at a premium price.  That makes me believe they want to turn a profit on the HW at launch, which is why we will probably be getting a $449-$499 price tag.  Sony, on the other hand, won't mind taking a $50 hit on the PS5, something they have always done.

Vega launches in 2017. Ryzen has already launched.

Next year we get Vega's successor. Navi.
Then in 2019 AMD  will release a successor to Navi.... And in 2020 a successor to that as well.

So the Playstation 5 will be using slow and outdated technology if it's based around Vega and launches in 2020.

As for the CPU, Ryzen should get a refinement next year with the Zen+ core with increased refinements every year after that.

I am a hardware enthusiast. Give me something modern, not old crap. It's why this generation of consoles has been so underwhelming from a hardware standpoint this generation, AMD not iterating fast enough hasn't helped things either. They stagnated with old outdated technology for way to long while their competition kept humming along.

asqarkabab said:

A new revision of the cell would be awesome 

There has already been such a chip.

Regardless, Cell is dead. AMD and Intel left it in the dust in regards to performance a long time ago anyway.

I get you're a HW enthusiast, but maybe you should keep up with HW news. Vega 20 is 2018, which could possibly be put in a PS5 if it gets cheap enough the following year. Navi isn't coming til 2019, now. No way it'll be cheap enough if the PS5 is also coming in 2019.  I agree we may get something better than a Ryzen 1700, though, personally I'm not expecting it.  Also, if you're a HW enthusiast, why care about a console that's built with as much power as they can stick in without going over the $399 price tag? Stick with PC.

Intrinsic said:
Azzanation said:

You guessed right. I was referring to there hardware profits..

And my message clearly doesnt say MS is better off not selling more than PS.. omg haha where do your conclusions come from?

My main message is clear. Hardware sales DOES NOT tell the full story of a products success. 

In other words Scorpio doesn't have to outsell PS4 to be successful and profitable.