By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the Scorpio is too powerful for $399, what does that mean for PS5?

Azzanation said:

This is where i will agree, and in saying that, you can say the exact same thing to any company and its products, there is always a better way in doing things, nothing is perfect. I think Scorpio will do Xbox well, it wont outsell the PS4 or Pro however it will be a successful console for MS. (My opinion)

Yes we can say that about every company.... but as it stands, sony is and has been doing more right than wrong as far as the PS4 s concerned. We can't look at the PS4 right now and plot a better release and product strategy than sony has adopted. We can't single out a single thing that could have amounted to significantly better sales and in turn profits.

The same can't be said about MS this gen, and that is what people are saying. MS has systematically made every major bad decision that they could make this gen.... if I didn't know better, I would have said its almost like they went out of their way to lose this gen. Its even worse being that the came right off a gen where they were considered the clear favorites to win this gen all due to critcal design mistakes sony made with the PS3 and yet they still went on and did all they did.

Yes they have turned things around a lot.... but its all really for naught now. Scorpio or not. And I dare say that they still seem to just not get it, they are still investing and focusing heavily on the absolute wrong things and pushing structural decisions in directions that doesn't really do them that much good. Thats not saying they don't or aren't doing a few things right here or there, but that they could be doing so much more.

Around the Network
Dark_Feanor said:
Eight years of 2% inflation in the US would make a $399 value in 2013 be close to $480 in 2021.

https://inflationcalculator.mes.fm/?gclid=CNCa2JWupNMCFYEfhgodWWQItw

The US personal and household income are also pointing up since the beginning fo the decade.

A $499 price by 2020 is not that much more than the PS1 costed when launched in 1995.

I assume the point you're trying to make is that $499 is a good price for a console in 2017 because of inflation?

Had console gaming increased in price in step with inflation I would agree, but it hasn't. Even using 2005 as a base year we'd be spending nearly $80 on a AAA game by now if it had.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Scorpio will be $599+ due to the increased RAM and the change of that ram to GDDR5. It will also have a 4K Blu-Ray player which will easily add $100 to the console manufacturing cost. The PS5 will have a number of advantages in the cost department when they decide to release. They will more than likley use GDDR6 ram and will probably stay at 8GB, maybe 16GB tops though I would say staying at 8GB using Ram with double the speed will be fine. On the Ram side I would say it will be a wash on cost over the PS4 with a possible slight increase depending on GDDR cost. If they decide to add a 4K Blu-ray player the cost will have been driven down considerably by then which will also save a considerable amount on cost. Giving the new AM4 platform a couple years on the market will also allow the cost for both CPU and GPU prices to drop giving a very big increase in performance for about the same price as the PS4. Microsoft IMO is taking the PS3 approach and throwing a bunch of expensive parts into the machine for no real reason. I think they are stuck in the console as the main living room device approach. Even though I can use my PS4 to watch PS VUE, I still choose the FireTV due to its remote. Most people I would imagine use their console for gaming and not much else.

Superman4 said:

It will also have a 4K Blu-Ray player which will easily add $100 to the console manufacturing cost.

No.

thismeintiel said:

Ok.  Those are all older links, with only one being the very beginning of 2017.  Here's some newer ones I found that all point to a 2019 release of Navi.  Also, the slides in their suggest a 2018 release of the Vega 20.

http://segmentnext.com/2017/01/17/navi-10-amd-gpu/
http://www.game-debate.com/news/22121/amd-plans-to-launch-7nm-navi-10-gpu-with-up-to-128gb-memory-in-2019
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/55875/amd-launch-monster-navi-10-2019-next-gen-ram/index.html
https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-vega-gpu-specification

Two of the links I provided are from 2017. One is Anandtech. Which is one of the most reliable tech sites on the internet, don't dismiss it so casually. ;)

And if we look at pcgamesn.com link you provided... And I quote: "AMD have already confirmed that they will be releasing Vega graphics cards in the first half of 2017"

The pcgamesn.com states the Vega 20 is a rumor. Aka. Not a part of the officially released AMD roadmap.
And I quote: "There have though been earlier rumours of a Vega 20 GPU that AMD are working on with GlobalFoundaries. The Vega 20 is reportedly going to be a 7nm GPU releasing in 2018 with up to 32GB of HBM2 and memory bandwidth of a ludicrous-speed 1TB/s."

The tweaktown link you provided also says Vega 20 will be dropping in 2019. And I quote: "But it's Vega 20 that has me interested, expected in 2019"

Your first two links back up your claim. Sadly, those sites do not have the credability of something like Anandtech or Eurogamer. Tweaktown tends to push every rumor they come across.

thismeintiel said:

I guess you're just going to have to deal with the status quo.  Sony is going to try to put as much power as they can into a $399 box, without taking too much of a hit, because that's what tens of millions of console gamers want.  Like I have been saying, I fully expect something along the lines of a Ryzen 1700 (with the possibility of Zen+, instead) for the CPU and a Vega 10 for the GPU, both customized with some advancements from the next 2 years.  Not top of the line, but definitely enough of a gap over the OG PS4 (6x-6.5x, the same gap as last gen to the current one) to warrant a new gen.  And if Sony does another Pro, than we should see a Vega 10x Dual in there, like they did with the PS4 Pro.

Indeed I will. But I shall still provide criticism where criticism is due. You can rest assured I criticise all the consoles equally.

It's criticism that made Microsoft ditch Kinect, lower their console price, throw away the always-online DRM... Companies listen to wallets and the voices behind them.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--