By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Where Horizon ZD fails

I remember when zelda was first announced and Aonuma said "you see that mountain? you can go there" i remember a lot of people making fun of him on forums saying zelda would finally do things that games from 2005 did, that he wouldn't reinvent the open-world genre.

i imagine him saying "who's laughing now?"

But honestly i think we should keep comparations of horizon and zelda away, one game aims photorealistic gfx and story while the other aims on adventure and exploration, it's like comparing mario kart to gran turismo, they are the same genre but with different targets.

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata

Around the Network
pokoko said:
SegataSanshiro said:

No real barriers to stop you. You can climb about anything you see and adds a big vertical aspect to the game. You can go straight to the final boss within the first 20 min of the game if you really want to. You really can go anywhere you see with little limitations. It's also a game because of the physics engine. If  you think it you can probably do it. Not a game mechanic the game tells you. Just because of the physics engine the game is only as limited as the players imagination. Many games say open world but Zelda is one of the very few in existence where you truly are free to do whatever you want.

So if I want to go east, I can just keep going forever?  Is it procedurally generated or something?

The only invisible walls are the edges of the map, and lacking the stamina to climb to the top of something.

Oh, and there's disabling climbing in the shrines and main dungeons. I suppose that's only done to keep players from just climing to the main objectives.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Aeolus451 said:
SegataSanshiro said:

It's handcrafted. Just so large and so much to find along the way and do.  Like it has these rafts at certain bodies of water. You can use a leaf to slowly make it move or get creative something I figured out use the magnet and a peiece of metal against the sail at once and bam I have a motorboat. or if you killed a bunch of enemies and got their guts you can make an airship and not from crafting just experimenting. Not a mechanic just something you can make happen thanks to the physics. When it comes to hunting for meat you expect it to be like most games. Shoot it then skin it. Zeld ayou can do that but someone figured out light a stick on fire and just hit one and you automatically get a cooked steak. In the shrines which are mini dungeons you are provided with something like say a ball to put in a place for something to happen like any Zelda puzzle. Well someone just said screw that dumped all their metal weapons on te ground and created and electirc feild where the balls should have gone and basically hotwired the dungeon.

So basically no.

No you can't go east forever but that wasn't Zelda's intention anyway. The term is 'open world', not 'infinite world'. The question is flawed in the first hand. And HZD can't do that either, for the record.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
pokoko said:

So if I want to go east, I can just keep going forever?  Is it procedurally generated or something?

Nah you just hit the the face on ...

wait for it...

ONE INVISIBLE WALL...

I've yet to encounter this in 100 hours of playing.  Not denying that it's there, or that anyother player zipping through the game/map at a faster pace wouldn't encounter the edge of the world sooner, because obviously the world/world map do not go on forever.  However, the OP is describing enountering invisible walls when trying to shortcut to locations adjacent to each other.  This does not happen in Breath of the Wild.

GoOnKid said:
Aeolus451 said:

So basically no.

No you can't go east forever but that wasn't Zelda's intention anyway. The term is 'open world', not 'infinite world'. The question is flawed in the first hand. And HZD can't do that either, for the record.

Some people were implying that you can or it doesn't have any boundaries like any other open world game does. Some are more free than other but they all have that same rule. 

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

The Stormbirds, Thunderjaws and Deathbringers probably were a decent challenge at least when you first faced them (maybe even some other bots), weren't them? Even if you explored quite a bit before actually engaging them, they are strong machines (though I could trash Stormbirds and Thunderjaws in the end game).

Horizon has a good difficulty, IMO, it's no Soulsbornioh, and as much as I love those, Horizon is a much more widespread focused game (and it's no wonder it sold in 2 weeks more than any of those games did lifetime), it's supposed to be for everyone yet still not being that easy and being skill based. It was pretty well balanced, IMO.

No i love the combat and the machines in horizon. I also loved that outside having the right weapons it was still always a skill based affair. You still at least have to aim and dodge and run and al that stuff. 

And this isn't a knock on the game, but like all skill based game mechanics eventually you get really good at doing what you are supposed to do. The task in turn doesn't get easier because the game is easy but rather because you have goten better.

This is where enviromental challenges come in.... and this shortcoming is often the case with all games that do it. If I amde this game, I would take the cauldrons (since there are only 5 of them and they are one time affairs) and make them hard as nails. I would also have made them all optional. Conquering one wouldn't only give you access to some extremely rare materials to craft really powerful ammo or even use to trade for certain items but will also naturally allow you overide machines that would ultimately make your playthrough in the world proper a little easier. 

But the cost you pay for all that would be some mind bending extremely difficult level. So hard that most would just not even bother with it.

I still don't see why there is such a rivalry between these two. It's crazy. It's like the rivalry between Uncharted 4 and Rise of the Tomb Raider. They're only similar to people who haven't​ played both. Both are excellent in what they set out to do.

*edited. Thanks, Rol!*

SegataSanshiro said:
Mnementh said:

Really? *yawn*

As a person with Native history in my family and my best friend is native and a game dev who often goes around the country and makes talks about natives and how they are and not represented in games and film and how it's a real issue. Natives also being a huge part of my states culture. Yeah really. You being form Germany it's something you have zero knowledge or uderstanding of and your two word comment shows your ignorance.

Well, I am not averse to represent different cultures, but as far as I see it Horizon is a game in a completely fictional setting. It is not historical. The inhabitants of the world aren't native americans, native australians, native celtic tribes or native germanic tribes (that were called barbarians by the 'civilized' roman empire). So applying the logic the figures in the game represent some native, maybe american natives, makes in my opinion as much sense as asking why in a science fiction setting there are green but no black aliens.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
SegataSanshiro said:

As a person with Native history in my family and my best friend is native and a game dev who often goes around the country and makes talks about natives and how they are and not represented in games and film and how it's a real issue. Natives also being a huge part of my states culture. Yeah really. You being form Germany it's something you have zero knowledge or uderstanding of and your two word comment shows your ignorance.

Well, I am not averse to represent different cultures, but as far as I see it Horizon is a game in a completely fictional setting. It is not historical. The inhabitants of the world aren't native americans, native australians, native celtic tribes or native germanic tribes (that were called barbarians by the 'civilized' roman empire. So applying the logic the figures in the game represent some native, maybe american natives, makes in my opinion as much sense as asking why in a science fiction setting there are green but no black aliens.

They are taking from specific cultures but not aknowledging or crediting them. Not a single Native in the game where it has Native aspects alll over it. Now ina  world where humans live in tribal like settings they also would be a bit more tan being in the sun all day long for hundreds or thousands of years. They do not have the complexion of Conan O Brien. So they still in fact are white washing. Turok for how stupid it is is more accurate and that's what is crazy.

pokoko said:
SegataSanshiro said:

No real barriers to stop you. You can climb about anything you see and adds a big vertical aspect to the game. You can go straight to the final boss within the first 20 min of the game if you really want to. You really can go anywhere you see with little limitations. It's also a game because of the physics engine. If  you think it you can probably do it. Not a game mechanic the game tells you. Just because of the physics engine the game is only as limited as the players imagination. Many games say open world but Zelda is one of the very few in existence where you truly are free to do whatever you want.

No, there is an end to it. But geography makes it really hard to reach that borders. I tried because I was nosy, and it was actually hard to get to the border. It is far outside. I was going through a sandstorm, that deactivates the map, I didn't try at the other sides.

In Horizon it seems not so hard to hit these walls and it is pretty near a settlement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWwI2KfP3sE

But basically: If Zelda had invisible walls at every step, would that change it how to look at Horizon?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]