By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best graphics on Wii U

swii26 said:
Xenoblade. Only because I have BotW for Switch.

XCX performs better anyways.

Around the Network

Wow didn't realize how awesome Treasure Tracker looks. Perhaps I need to actually put the game in my system for once.

bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

To be fair, I'd say BotW is one of the most demanding Wii U games from a graphical perspective too, with its volumetric lighting, dense vegetation, nice particle effects, realtime rather than baked reflections, etc.

Nintendo have certainly come a long way graphically from New Super Mario Bros U to Breath of the Wild, while Fast Racing Neo is more technically advanced than any of Wii U's early games.

Z BOTW performance is the issue. It may do the most, but at a cost. Xenoblade X I think is the best you can get and still maintain a solid 30.

XCX also has the luxury of having none of Zelda's complex physics simulation. Monolith do deserve serious props however for getting XCX to run as well as it does; even on more powerful systems, very few open world games manage to run at such a stable framerate.

There are definitely times where XCX is visually breathtaking with its vast alien landscapes, but it also has some rough spots; the characters, animations, textures and shadows don't always hold up to inspection when the camera gets in close during cutscenes. That said, it's definitely one of the most impressive feats of technical engineering on Wii U, I just don't know if I'd call it one of the prettiest per se.

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

Z BOTW performance is the issue. It may do the most, but at a cost. Xenoblade X I think is the best you can get and still maintain a solid 30.

XCX also has the luxury of having none of Zelda's complex physics simulation. Monolith do deserve serious props however for getting XCX to run as well as it does; even on more powerful systems, very few open world games manage to run at such a stable framerate.

There are definitely times where XCX is visually breathtaking with its vast alien landscapes, but it also has some rough spots; the characters, animations, textures and shadows don't always hold up to inspection when the camera gets in close during cutscenes. That said, it's definitely one of the most impressive feats of technical engineering on Wii U, I just don't know if I'd call it one of the prettiest per se.

For a game with great performance it certainly is. Beyond that game, you either have to make sacrifices in the form of art direction, or performance. I think that is the quintessential game for the Wii U. I wouldn't say Breath Of The Wild or others are, they are just pretty games.

bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

For a game with great performance it certainly is. Beyond that game, you either have to make sacrifices in the form of art direction, or performance. I think that is the quintessential game for the Wii U. I wouldn't say Breath Of The Wild or others are, they are just pretty games.

XCX makes sacrifices of its own to maintain a stable framerate while pushing such a massive and detailed world; baked reflections and static shadowmaps for example. At the end of the day I'd say these are worthwhile tradeoffs, but still, in terms of sheer visual beauty, I'd take games like Fast Racing Neo, Breath of the Wild, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, or Trine 2 over XCX personally.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

XCX makes sacrifices of its own to maintain a stable framerate while pushing such a massive and detailed world; baked reflections and static shadowmaps for example. At the end of the day I'd say these are worthwhile tradeoffs, but still, in terms of sheer visual beauty, I'd take games like Fast Racing Neo, Breath of the Wild, Captain Toad, Mario Kart 8, or Trine 2 over XCX personally.

Yes sacrifices are made, but it's still the best example of the graphics the system has to offer while maintaining framerate. It by far gets the most out of the console.

bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

Yes sacrifices are made, but it's still the best example of the graphics the system has to offer while maintaining framerate. It by far gets the most out of the console.

I dunno about that; on a purely technical level I'd have to give the nod to Fast Racing Neo for pulling off a lot of PS4/Xbone tier effects while hitting 60fps.

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

I dunno about that; on a purely technical level I'd have to give the nod to Fast Racing Neo for pulling off a lot of PS4/Xbone tier effects while hitting 60fps.

Isn't the entire foliage 2D that stretches while racing..... I mean the textures are on point (for the cars), the rest is eh.... I wouldn't say it even touches XCX.

bigtakilla said:
curl-6 said:

Isn't the entire foliage 2D that stretches while racing..... I mean the textures are on point (for the cars), the rest is eh.... I wouldn't say it even touches XCX.

FRN is doing Physically Based Rendering, that's a PS4 calibre technique. XCX uses more PS3/360 calibre rendering techniques, just with more stuff running at once than those systems.

curl-6 said:
bigtakilla said:

FRN is doing Physically Based Rendering, that's a PS4 calibre technique. XCX uses more PS3/360 calibre rendering techniques, just with more stuff running at once than those systems.

But it is only doing that with a track and cars. Meanwhile Xenoblade X fully renders one of the biggest worlds in gaming this gen.