By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best graphics on Wii U

Mnementh said:
sc94597 said:
Breath of the Wild does the most technically demanding stuff for the console, and it shows in its performance.

Yeah, but it is demanding through physics and openness, the question was about graphics.

To be fair, I'd say BotW is one of the most demanding Wii U games from a graphical perspective too, with its volumetric lighting, dense vegetation, nice particle effects, realtime rather than baked reflections, etc.

TomaTito said:

In the end, any major evolution as seen here? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=202925

Nintendo have certainly come a long way graphically from New Super Mario Bros U to Breath of the Wild, while Fast Racing Neo is more technically advanced than any of Wii U's early games.

Around the Network
GoOnKid said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm actually thinking Assassin's Creed IV.

Large and detailed open world, many NPCs, its an impressive looking game albeit not well optimized on Wii U.

I was heavily annoyed by the flickering shadows.

OT: XCX, Bayo2, Captain Toad, SM3DW, MK8, BotW and Devil's Third Fatal Frame V.

Edit: And of course Pikmin 3!

There is certainly a lack of polish because its doing a lot. But its also one of the most detailed games you'll find on Wii U.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It's actually hard for me to nail this down to just one title.

In terms of sheer artistic beauty, I'd have to go with Trine 2: Director's Cut. 

On a purely technological level, Fast Racing Neo takes the cake; resolution aside it could pass for a PS4/Xbox One game.

Captain Toad Treasure Tracker also deserves a mention, as it looks almost pre-rendered at times.

And then there's Breath of the Wild, which is less consistent, but at its best, wading through dense interactive grass as particles blow in the wind and a blazing sunset casts lush volumetric lighting across the landscape, is absolutely stunning.

Mar1217 said:
Artistic standpoint : Breath of the Wild

Technical standpoint : Xenoblade X

I'd actually put Zelda above XCX technically. A lot of effects they share are done in a more demanding and advanced way in Zelda, such as water reflections, light shafts, etc.

Well...now it's Breath of the Wild. But for a while my answer was Mario Kart 8. It's such a pretty game. I wish that development team would work on the 3D Mario series.

Probably Mario Kart 8. That's just one game that seems like it shouldn't be possible on the WiiU.

Around the Network
Platina said:

Breath of the Wild gets that nomination for best Artistic direction but the winner imo still goes to Captain Toad Treasure Tracker

Captain Toad was a great game all around.  In fact, now that I'm done with Zelda, I think I'll put him back in the system to play once in a while.  It's possibly the most underrated game on the system .

Colir Splash is the only remaining Wii U game in my wish list.  I'll probably pick it up after I finish ME:A, and Zero Dawn. It looks beautiful in the screenshots I've seen.  

My top spot goes to MK8 though.  It's incredible looking.  

Breath of the Wild is also beautiful.  But, when I think about its graphics, I think about.how much better it would be on PS4/XB1 level hardware.  Just so much missed potential.

Pikmin 3

curl-6 said:
Mnementh said:

Yeah, but it is demanding through physics and openness, the question was about graphics.

To be fair, I'd say BotW is one of the most demanding Wii U games from a graphical perspective too, with its volumetric lighting, dense vegetation, nice particle effects, realtime rather than baked reflections, etc.

TomaTito said:

In the end, any major evolution as seen here? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=202925

Nintendo have certainly come a long way graphically from New Super Mario Bros U to Breath of the Wild, while Fast Racing Neo is more technically advanced than any of Wii U's early games.

Z BOTW performance is the issue. It may do the most, but at a cost. Xenoblade X I think is the best you can get and still maintain a solid 30.

Xenoblade. Only because I have BotW for Switch.

Steam/Origin ID: salorider

Nintendo Network ID: salorider

PSN: salorider

3DS Friend Code: 4983-4984-4179