By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How the heck did Sony manage to retake the console market again?

Sony didn't get caught up in the casual craze either, that benefitted them tremendously this gen.

While Nintendo and MS were still trying to cater to that audience with expensive gimmick controllers (tablet pad and Kinect 2.0 which made XBox One $100 more) ... Sony not having the same success with the Move controller simply went back to basics and they benefitted hugely from that. Nintendo and MS suffered big time, especially Nintendo.

Around the Network

Yeah, it's more or less because Nintendo and Microsoft screwed up in the home console space. But Sony also failed hard on the handheld field.

But Nintendo is another example of a company in the gaming industry who went from last to first. Each generation is a whole different game. It depends what they bring to the field.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

PS3 ended up in second place for 7th Gen, so while they stumbled out of the gate, they still didn't get last place. That dishonor went to Xbox 360, who still had the consolation prize of beating Sony in America and the global gap being almost negligible. Given that information, though, it's hard to say that Sony "lost", and actually easier to ask why they edged out a lead on Microsoft despite "no games" and coming out a year later.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

They never lost it? Despite having a setback last gen, they still established themselves worldwide due the strength of the brand. Sony's not really going anywhere for the foreseeable future. Doesn't sound like any of the main three are.

Improvements over the previous console and mistakes from the competition.

Around the Network

I knew it would just be because the other two fucked up. Winning 3 out of 4 home console gens is obviously all luck and the incompetence of others.

Imaginedvl said:
Paperboy_J said:
By being cheaper than the other guys.

that. Plain and simple. The price of the Xbox One was the big issue for Microsoft and it was just too late for them when they reduced it, the domino effect of the Play Station Four price was unstoppable 

You keep telling yourself that. Want proof you're wrong? PS3 - $499 entry price. 360 - $299 entry price. As soon as Sony dropped to $399, MS answered with an entry try price of $199. For the 1st 3 years the price gap was $200.  So, why didn't the 360 kick its ass? Simple. Brand strength,  quality HW (much less HW failures) and games, games, games.

This gen, MS didn't even make as many mistakes as Sony last gen.  Sure they had the DRM, but the changed that months before launch and the price gap was only $100, which MS dropped just months after launch.  They had more support at launch, too.  Still, they can't seem to turn it around like Sony did.  Why?  Cause they lack what Sony had with the PS3, which I stated above.

They have always been the market leader besides the Wii being an outlier because of its extreme casualness.
Hell if PS3 launched at the same time as 360 it would have lead the entire gen over the 360. It already compares favorably when lining up launch dates. Hence why PS3 caught up with a whole year less

Preston Scott

LivingMetal said:
Imaginedvl said:

That's your oppinion. Nobody forced anything to anyone. If you feel forced to buy something when a compay put it out there, I would look at myself first :)
Microsoft mistake was the price, for the general consumer, it is all that matters.

Well, let's hear your opinion.  What reasonable price should Microsoft have originally sold the Xbox One at launch with the bundled Kinect and less powerful processing hardware than the PS4?

You are clearly just missing my point here and focus on your rent about Microsoft's "less powerfull hardware". Point is price. One was lower than the other and general consumer does not care about your "less powerfull processing hardware (add whatever you need to feel even better) than the Play Station Four" thing.

Price matters... Xbox One was more expensive and both hardware could play the same game. For the consumer (not the fan boys, or Microsoft / Sony enthusiast etc...), the choice is very simple; you go for the 100$ less... Why on earth would you not...

Imaginedvl said:
LivingMetal said:

Well, let's hear your opinion.  What reasonable price should Microsoft have originally sold the Xbox One at launch with the bundled Kinect and less powerful processing hardware than the PS4?

You are clearly just missing my point here and focus on your rent about Microsoft's "less powerfull hardware". Point is price. One was lower than the other and general consumer does not care about your "less powerfull processing hardware (add whatever you need to feel even better) than the Play Station Four" thing.

Price matters... Xbox One was more expensive and both hardware could play the same game. For the consumer (not the fan boys, or Microsoft / Sony enthusiast etc...), the choice is very simple; you go for the 100$ less... Why on earth would you not...

While I see your point I can't agree with that. If price was all that matters the PS3 would havenever came back last gen and outsold the 360. And the Wii U would be the one winning right now this gen not the PS4. I think it is a combination of things, games, brand, price(as you mentioned) and the general view of the consumer on the product.

Heck even when the XB1 and PS4 had price parity it still sold less(and even with price parity now it still does). For a while early on the XB1 was like $50 cheaper thant he PS4 and still sold less. So I can't agree that price is the deciding factor here. Me personally I think Sony is just a PS is just s stronger brand than XB in general. PS had more momenteum going into this gen. Combine that with the horrible/anti-consumer reveal of the XB1 and the freaking dang near flawless reveal of the PS4 and it all adds up to Sony taking over again.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23