By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How the heck did Sony manage to retake the console market again?

Learning from mistakes, games, brand strength, showing they have longevity.

Last gen was only bad in terms of it didn't sell as well as ps2.

PS3 beat 360 virtually every year it was out.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Winning the price/performance metric, while also being the most powerfull console of the bunch... good job by him.

Well, I think that 499$ PS4 wtih better specs at launch would be better imo.

The base for game engines would be higher, etc.

However, I see what the market is .. so I predict a 300$ day one PS5/X2.

Honest truth -- there's a lot of incompetence at Nintendo and Microsoft that basically opened the door for Sony to just make a standard console and move in and retake market leadership. Also Sony did a good job of not bailing out on the PS3 and sticking with it and keeping games coming for it, so they hit this generation running. 

KingofTrolls said:
Chazore said:

I've only seen one Nintendo advert on TV and a few on Youtube. I've seen 30 HZD adverts on Youtube so far and 5 on TV. Only time I saw some MS adverts was onTV for TR and Halo Wars, with some being on Youtube for BF1's release.

That is what report stated. Nintendo spend like 2x on marketing than Sony.

I'm talking about getting more ads out there, not spending money and tossing it into a pit.

I have seen more ads out there for Sony products than I have Nintendo.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Well they learned from the early failures of PS3. Also Nintendo and MS fucked up pretty badly. So it's a combo of the two. MS handed E3 to them at E3 2013 where I believe Sony after hearing the XBO price last minute lowered the PS4 price. Top that off PS4 had a great marketing leading up to the launch plus Taco Bell.  XBO marketing I don't even remember and Wii U? Did it even have marketing before launch?

Around the Network
Flilix said:
KLXVER said:
A combination of learning from their mistakes and the other two fucking up.

Especially this. PS3 wasn't extraordinary unpopular and PS4 isn't extraordinary popular. PS4 is just selling better because the concurrention is a lot weaker.

Concurrention?

do you mean competition?

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

People talking about the other fucked up as one of the main reasons,lol.PS4 would have been a success regardless.Just follow one rule,don't make the the same mistakes as the Ps3.Playstation brand alone sells consoles,he'll even the PS3 being a disaster still came back and out sold the 360 which was deemed as a sucess.

We all now the Wii and a very catchy gimmick and was selling dirt cheap hence why it won the only gen that ithe has went head to head with Sony.

Even if the Xbone had done everything right Sony still would have won,reason being the Playstation brand name is that strong.

think-man said:
I feel like Sony was already regaining confidence near the mid way mark of the PS3's life. They managed to turn around a near disaster and deliver some solid titles. First few years of PS3 were terrible though.

This right here. The latter part of 7th gen saw plenty of great Sony support while the 360 sort of languished. That, combined with MS tripping down three flights of stairs during the XB1 reveal and Sony's lower pricepoint sealed the deal. It's actually impressive how well Xbox is doing now, all things considered.

John2290 said:
Ariakon said:

The PS3 also outsold the 360 most of the years the two were on market. The PS3 sold a ton of units overall, it just ate tons of money on the way to doing so, since Sony threw too much in there and made it too expensive to produce. 

Also the 360's failure rate was downplayed massively and was a bigger factor for sales as people were rebuying it, I personally believe that it was at the very least 30 percent but some anylists say it could have been over half by the time the th gen consoles released, like 55 percent or something insane like that.

Yeah, I have no idea what the global failure rate was, but I had 4 360's red ring on me. I'd like to think that other consumers had much better experiences, but it certainly was problematic to some of us. 

They simply didn't fuck up while Nintendo and Microsoft did. Hopefully with the Switch we will see some real competition again. Sales numbers got kinda boring in the last 3 years.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.