By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How the heck did Sony manage to retake the console market again?

Imaginedvl said:
LivingMetal said:

Well, let's hear your opinion.  What reasonable price should Microsoft have originally sold the Xbox One at launch with the bundled Kinect and less powerful processing hardware than the PS4?

You are clearly just missing my point here and focus on your rent about Microsoft's "less powerfull hardware". Point is price. One was lower than the other and general consumer does not care about your "less powerfull processing hardware (add whatever you need to feel even better) than the Play Station Four" thing.

Price matters... Xbox One was more expensive and both hardware could play the same game. For the consumer (not the fan boys, or Microsoft / Sony enthusiast etc...), the choice is very simple; you go for the 100$ less... Why on earth would you not...

Do you think Microsoft was justified in charging $500 USD at launch with hardware (Kinect) bundled with ALL units and with that unit produced graphical quality less than the competition?

Around the Network

Exclusives drove a lot of it IMO.

MS gave up on exclusives.

PC only has 10 AA or AAA exclusives rated at 80% or above from 2014 to 2017.
PS4 has 19 AA or AAA exclusives rated at 80% or above from 2014 to 2017.

Like people have said in other threads, the PS4 is just killing it when it comes to exclusives.

It's easy. During the PS3 Era where the PS3 was still struggling to sell well, Sony made a comeback thanks to aggressive price cuts, marketing, deals, etc. The PS3 wasn't at all profitable for Sony until 2009, so they took huge losses to make sure the PS3 had legs. Not to mention the amount of critically acclaimed games it released. Uncharted, God of War, Infamous, Last of Us, those contributed a lot. The PS4 managed to dominate the console market thanks to the fuck ups Microsoft and Nintendo did. Microsoft's poor conference about having always online DRM and the Wii U solidified Sony's dominance on top.

Because PS4 is the best option in pretty much every aspect, unless you are a Nintendo fan and can't live without their games. It's not only that the competition fucked up, they also regained consumer's trust after a bad start with PS3

Learning makes the master

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network

bizarre thread. Sony never has had a particularly poor gaming generation. They number wise dominated the PS2 era (although strangely didn't make much money at the time), then even in the PS3 era where they weren't mega profitable from the PS3 it ended at, what, 90 million consoles sold?

bit of a dramatic dishonest thread. Its not really 'retaking' the market when you end the last generation in practically a 3 way tie (Wii, Xbox 360, PS3). 

and its quite obvious why they've done well this gen- only one competitor at the start (really), and the only good exclusive titles between them and Xbox (the Xbox One has been dire with exclusive games).

I think the Switch could make things more competitive but in the end its simple- most powerful system with some smart paid exclusives that people have wanted. Essentially the PS4 has pulled in the market of people who A) like gaming on the couch and B) the people who don't want to pay $1000 for a solid computer to game with 

KLXVER said:
A combination of learning from their mistakes and the other two fucking up.

This. Nintendo didn't really try. MS stumbled... before proceeding to fall over, bum up... 

Cerebralbore said:
Exclusives drove a lot of it IMO.

MS gave up on exclusives.

PC only has 10 AA or AAA exclusives rated at 80% or above from 2014 to 2017.
PS4 has 19 AA or AAA exclusives rated at 80% or above from 2014 to 2017.

Like people have said in other threads, the PS4 is just killing it when it comes to exclusives.

Incoming "exclusives don't matter" replies, primarily from PC and Xbox gamers.

User moderated -RavenXtra

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

AsGryffynn said:
KLXVER said:
A combination of learning from their mistakes and the other two fucking up.

This. Nintendo didn't really try. MS stumbled... before proceeding to fall over, bum up... 

More like "Walked out on stage and began to dismember itself, inch by inch, with a hacksaw".

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
AsGryffynn said:

More like "Walked out on stage and began to dismember itself, inch by inch, with a hacksaw".

"This finger, don't need it."

"This arm, who cares."

"And this leg, it 'ill grow back.  Promise."