By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How the heck did Sony manage to retake the console market again?

I mean... if you want to call the fourth highest selling home console of all time "a catastrophe" then that's your prerogative.

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
LivingMetal said:

All based on facts which you kept denying.

Anything making you happy :) Enjoy your "fact" stuff. Microsoft is bad, lying, bullshiting, forcing stuff on people and all that. I'm really sorry you have to live on the same planet than this evil company.

Microsoft isnt bad, but their reasons for entering gaming seem to be rooted in multimedia and not really on games, even though they published great simulators when I was a child. They seem to have a philosophy that if you want to win a generation all you have to do is rely on third party. You can do well, but you wont win. They persist because they want to win. Hopefully Spencer can take them there, but as it stands right now the Shane Kim era was the best era of the Xbox ever. They werent as transparent but people didnt need to complain because we found an alternative to Sony which had exclusives even though Microsoft didnt have many hot ones from their own studios. Their OS will always be the best and their controllers are great. See thats where they excel.

Imaginedvl said:

No, you just gave your own believes/assumptions about why Microsoft should not have priced the Xbox One (which is not the question of this thread) and then just went on how they were forcing their stuff on consumer, how the package had no values, how Kinect was useless and overpriced, etc... Which again was not really the point. Justified (my oppinion) or not justify (your oppinion), the price difference was (in my opponion) why Sony took the lead... I'm 100% sure the majority of the general consumers does not care about your assumptions or believes and just went by one thing:

Again let me repeat :

Two machines that can play all my games (at least the majority), looking the same, both labelled/marketed as "new generation" console.
One is 500$... the other one is 400$... Christmas coming, want to buy stuff for my family, I'm not a forum nerd and do not give a cent about how much those 2 pixels looks different on this system or that system and I can play COD on both. Will go for 400$.

See, nothing there is leading you to start your rent about how Microsoft was lying, bullshiting, overpricing and how much the value of the Xbox One package was bad for you and you other forum facts. Nothing.

There were many things that MS scewed up on at launch and the price was just one of them. 

- Always on (this was big for some people)

- Kinect (telling us how important it was) 

- Price

- DRM (not being able to trade in games after you bought them) 

-  PS4 having a slight power advantage

These were all things MS had going against it at launch, and the FACT that MS completly reversed positions on the Kinect (not so important I guess right?) Always on and DRM kinda tells you something. They may have not "lied" about a few things but they did try and feed the consumer a line of BS about Kinect. This is why there was such a revolt at the start, they basically handed Sony this generation on a platter. I think Sony would have won anyway, they were just gaining so much momentum and there 1st party stable of IP was FAR better then MS, however it may have been more of a dog fight. 

I have tried to get into the XB1 on two different occasions but each time I was not impressed with the exclusives.  MS really needs to fix that. 

Even though Wii won in numbers against PS3, I'd say that Sony is leading overall since PS1.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Sony made some poor choices on the PS3 and it didn't sell well for a while but it manage to sell alright in the long run. It never lost it's "glory" with just one bad home console. If it did lose it's glory then what does that say about the other brands with their products? You have to keep in mind that Sony has been the top brand in home consoles for 2 gens before that. It more or less has a good track record in that market. If Sony didn't mess up with the PS4, what makes you think it wouldn't outsell the other two?

Around the Network
0D0 said:
Even though Wii won in numbers against PS3, I'd say that Sony is leading overall since PS1.

Agreed...very few people understand that this has been the case.  Numbers don't lie.  And that doesnt include how many XBOX Red Ring of Death consoles that were sent off to the pastures early or replaced. When the failure rate fo the first/second gen XB360s were over 50 percent. Many people switched or just replace their xbox. I cant imagine how many burned xbox owners out there jumped ship.  That why for the longest time Sony stated that the ps3 was the most "played" console. Since the by the 2 or 3rd year...more people were activaly playing on a ps3 then xbox360.

squibbfire said:
0D0 said:

Agreed...very few people understand that this has been the case.  Numbers don't lie.  And that doesnt include how many XBOX Red Ring of Death consoles that were sent off to the pastures early or replaced. When the failure rate fo the first/second gen XB360s were over 50 percent. Many people switched or just replace their xbox. I cant imagine how many burned xbox owners out there jumped ship.  That why for the longest time Sony stated that the ps3 was the most "played" console. Since the by the 2 or 3rd year...more people were activaly playing on a ps3 then xbox360.

Yeah. Wii sold tons on its first 3 years, but at the end of the generation, I think PS3 was really resonating with the community of gamers. Wii overall was collecting dust while PS3 were getting brilliant games and the price got cheaper enough for everyone to get one.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

DarkD said:
Getting locked out of the market usually involves being replaced by something better. Your own example demonstrates this, nokia replaced by smartphones. The difference here is that everyone loves smartphones (myself excluded) but the core gaming market never really embraced the Wii as anything other than a once-and-done fad.

Nintendo is a perfect example of how to really lose a market. They screwed up a dozen ways in the SNES and N64 era and lost it to the PS1. PS1 really did offer something people were happy about, so they never went back. Sony became the new gaming standard.

Still waiting for my SNES 32 bit CDROM...