By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How the heck did Sony manage to retake the console market again?

exdeath said:
method114 said:

This. Honestly you could tell somewhere in the PS3's life cycle that Sony was turning thigns around. The amount of games they had coming out their were new IP's was infuriating for somene like me who was an abox 360 owner and I was getting the 4th install of GOW that no one asked for. That was the begining of me knowing I would not be going X1 next gen.

Uncharted 3, The Last of Us, Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Kingdom Hearts, etc

Or

Gears of Call of Halo 19 1/2

Tough choice.

It's really a tough choice if you don't give a crap about JRPGs, then your list is just a bunch of shooters.

Around the Network
LivingMetal said:

And why couldn't Microsoft priced the Xbox One intially at $400 like the PS4 for the "SAME capabilities to the general consumer?"

That's EXACTLY my point...

Microsoft priced their hardware way too high (100$ too high to be exact) and no matter the reason you want to put on that...
Maybe (but just maybe) the inclusion of Kinect was the reason... Maybe it was them being way too confident after the 360 success... Maybe something else...

At the end, that's why (in my oppinion) Sony got the head start and is now ahead after the domino effect for the whole generation.

The 28.7M (the path it took) vs 56M shows exactly that. Microsoft lost it because of the price point and now the domino effect is unstoppable; more players already own the Play Station Four and for the same price new comers will go with the most "popular" one. If you want to think it is because of the "incredible" values of the Play Station Four; fine but that's your oppinion. At the same starting price point it would have a been a completly different story in my oppinon...

LudicrousSpeed said:
exdeath said:

Uncharted 3, The Last of Us, Ni no Kuni, Tales of Xillia, Kingdom Hearts, etc

Or

Gears of Call of Halo 19 1/2

Tough choice.

It's really a tough choice if you don't give a crap about JRPGs, then your list is just a bunch of shooters.

Dont' forget platformers.

Imaginedvl said:
LivingMetal said:

And why couldn't Microsoft priced the Xbox One intially at $400 like the PS4 for the "SAME capabilities to the general consumer?"

Microsoft priced their hardware way too high (100$ too high to be exact) and no matter the reason you want to put on that...
Maybe (but just maybe) the inclusion of Kinect was the reason... Maybe it was them being way too confident after the 360 success... Maybe something else...

At the end, that's why (in my oppinion) Sony got the head start and is now ahead after the domino effect for the whole generation.

And you really need to clam down with your Microsoft forcing its initial agenda on the consumer lol. I don't even thing you realize how non-sense this is... Like Sony or Nintendo or any other company are not doing the same... You liking more the agenda of Sony does not make it Hello? Maybe you dislike what Microsoft is doing... But get real.

The 28.7M (the path it took) vs 56M shows exactly that. Microsoft lost it because of the price point and now the domino effect is unstoppable; more players already own the Play Station Four and for the same price new comers will go with the most "popular" one. If you want to think it is because of the "incredible" values of the Play Station Four; fine but that's your oppinion. At the same starting price point it would have a been a completly different story in my oppinon...

We'll I gave my reasons why, and you had issues with it.  That's all you.

LivingMetal said:
Imaginedvl said:

And you really need to clam down with your Microsoft forcing its initial agenda on the consumer lol. I don't even thing you realize how non-sense this is... Like Sony or Nintendo or any other company are not doing the same... You liking more the agenda of Sony does not make it Hello? Maybe you dislike what Microsoft is doing... But get real.

I do not have issues with your reason. I had issues when you asked me to tell you why Microsoft priced their hardware 100$ more than Sony like it made any difference on the thread topic... That was not relevant in my oppinion

And to be honest; I do not think we could agree on the reasons (or at least our guesses :))

Around the Network
Imaginedvl said:
LivingMetal said:

I do not have issues with your reason. I had issues when you asked me to tell you why Microsoft priced their hardware 100$ more than Sony like it made any difference on the thread topic... That was not relevant in my oppinion

And to be honest; I do not think we could agree on the reasons (or at least our guesses :))

I first expounded on why the price difference was an issue before the mentioning of any mathematical difference.  And you and anyone else has the right to disagree, but you kept skirting my question.  Either you just didn't know or answering it would not have put Microsoft is such a favorable light.  At least my reasoning were based from facts and history (EVERY Xbox One unit bundled with Kinect at launch - no other option, Microsoft claiming Kinect was "essential" - lies, Kinect unbundled and overcharged - cost more to the consumer when buying both a standalone Kinect and standalone Xbox One, multiplatform games running better on the PS4 over the Xbox One - better value on PS4 for game performance, etc.)

Xbox One and Wii U happened.

The PS3 era wasn't a carastrophe, not even remotely. ps3 sold 86 million and psp 80 million, that's a big success by anybodies reckoning. Some people my try to paint the picture that this is an amazing turnaround from last gen to ps4 but truthfully the playstation brand has always been sucessful even during it's so called "lean" years.

LivingMetal said:
Imaginedvl said:

I first expounded on why the price difference was an issue before the mentioning of any mathematical difference.  And you and anyone else has the right to disagree, but you kept skirting my question.  Either you just didn't know or answering it would not have put Microsoft is such a favorable light.  At least my reasoning were based from facts and history (EVERY Xbox One unit bundled with Kinect at launch - no other option, Microsoft claiming Kinect was "essential" - lies, Kinect unbundled and overcharged - cost more to the consumer when buying both a standalone Kinect and standalone Xbox One, multiplatform games running better on the PS4 over the Xbox One - better value on PS4 for game performance, etc.)

Yet again you just do it again. You are talking about puting Microsoft in bad or good light when this is not about it. You have this agenda, I do not. And you are right about one thing, I'm not interrested into having this disucssion. I responded to this thread to talk about why, in my oppinion, Sony got the best start this generation not to start a rent or arguing about how you believe Microsoft methods and marketing are lies, bulshitt and how much your Play Station Four is a better value for you and blah blah.

My anwser was super simple and you can argue with me that consumers did not only care about the price but also about something else in Sony's offering (and it would be on topic) ... But no, instead you are arguing with me and try to tell me how much you think Microsoft is lying, bullshiting, offering lower values, all of this subjective things this thread is NOT about.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
DanneSandin said:

This, more than anything else.

If thats the case then how is it that Sony expanded the popularity of console gaming by  nearly doubling its size by themselves?  No console has ever reached 160 million consoles since the playstation. Sony was doing something right from the start. The Xbox One is selling more than the 360 and is still not in Sonys league. On a good day the Xbox is still not in sonys league. A large chunk of 360 gamers actually jumped ship from the PS2 due to Sonys screwing up. The Xbox One will not achieve the lasting sales of the 360 this gen in the end though. 50 to 60 million tops.

Having the best product kinda drives sales. It's good for business you know? Xbox gave up this gen with the unveiling of their console, even before the gen had started in earnest. Nintendo just fell flat on their face right out of the gate. Succeeding during those cercuimstances isn't all that hard. Your product doesn't even have to be great, just better than everyone elses.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.