By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How the heck did Sony manage to retake the console market again?

Chazore said:

. Also a ton more marketing than the other two all year round, especially on Youtube. 

Hmm, its Nintendo who spends the most on marketing, then it's .. MS, and then Sony.

There was a thread about it some time ago.

OP- they get better and others get worse big time.

Around the Network

Looking at the big picture, it really came down to different philosophies.

"Let's offer the customer what they've been asking for" versus "Let's offer the customer the product we want to push."

Microsoft came out with a far-reaching plan that hinged on the future they wanted for home console gaming. Consumers did not like that plan and that was that. Nintendo's plan was less far-reaching with the Wii U but it still depended on features that no one really asked for, plus Nintendo failed in convincing consumers that it was a superior path.

Sony's plan was to show that they'd gone back to the standard path of refining and improving rather than radical track-jumping.

I also want to point out that there really was no reason to assume that Microsoft would dominate this generation. The PS3 had a better sales rate than the 360 and finished with more momentum.

KingofTrolls said:

Hmm, its Nintendo who spends the most on marketing, then it's .. MS, and then Sony.

There was a thread about it some time ago.

I've only seen one Nintendo advert on TV and a few on Youtube. I've seen 30 HZD adverts on Youtube so far and 5 on TV. Only time I saw some MS adverts was onTV for TR and Halo Wars, with some being on Youtube for BF1's release.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

pokoko said:
Looking at the big picture, it really came down to different philosophies.

"Let's offer the customer what they've been asking for" versus "Let's offer the customer the product we want to push."

Microsoft came out with a far-reaching plan that hinged on the future they wanted for home console gaming. Consumers did not like that plan and that was that. Nintendo's plan was less far-reaching with the Wii U but it still depended on features that no one really asked for, plus Nintendo failed in convincing consumers that it was a superior path.

Sony's plan was to show that they'd gone back to the standard path of refining and improving rather than radical track-jumping.

I also want to point out that there really was no reason to assume that Microsoft would dominate this generation. The PS3 had a better sales rate than the 360 and finished with more momentum.

While I think the 360 did an AMAZING job and is BY FAR(imo) the best XB console.....people seem to eitehr not realize or seem to forget the bolded part.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Well the PS4 sold on the PROMISE of great games when in reality there wasn't that many at launch (GOOD MARKETING)

Also the other two fucked up so hard for no good reason that at one point the likelihood of an asteroid hitting the world had better chances then them two fucking up so hard.

Around the Network
Chazore said:

I've only seen one Nintendo advert on TV and a few on Youtube. I've seen 30 HZD adverts on Youtube so far and 5 on TV. Only time I saw some MS adverts was onTV for TR and Halo Wars, with some being on Youtube for BF1's release.

That is what report stated. Nintendo spend like 2x on marketing than Sony.

Cobretti2 said:
Well the PS4 sold on the PROMISE of great games when in reality there wasn't that many at launch (GOOD MARKETING)

What better games were on Xbox One or Wii U for comparison ?

Wii U - late PS360 ports, Xbox One - basically the same games with sometimes much lower res. Forza 5 with one of the worst paid DLC system in game ?

1 simple reason
They were better then their rivals.

Best console and best games. Ps4 is literally for the players. Such an Attractive gamer product.

Cobretti2 said:

Buying a console = long term investment. Thats the point.

U can simply forget the cash u spend on this box some day in the past, and still be exctided about new titles.

Also, hard to say that X1 or Wii U get any better games

konkari said:

They changed the top management and empowered Mark Cerny.

Good Hardware design goes a long way.

Winning the price/performance metric, while also being the most powerfull console of the bunch... good job by him.