By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I hardly buy games at full retail price. Do you?

h2ohno said:
Only for certain Nintendo games like Zelda, Mario, and Smash. But even then there are many games I'd only consider getting if their prices dropped, like Pokken. Non-Nintendo games I can just wait for a big Steam sale.

Thinking back with my Wii collection, the only title I would have paid full price was the Metroid Trilogy.  I won a near mint used copy from ebay for $50 which retailed for that price at the time, but was a rare find.  Then, I later came across a new sealed copy at my mom's Wal-mart less than a month later.  I wouldn't have known.

Around the Network

Since Gamestop is no more on PR, I'm now forced to buy new games from Best Buy. Spending $60 on a game is something I cannot do every time, so I now try to get informed on the game as much as I can before buying it. I have Amazon as a good alternative, but buying an used game for $50 with a $10 shipping is useless. I don't mind supporting the devs with $60 as long as the game is what I expect.

LivingMetal said:

It's hard for me to justify $60 (I'm in North America) for a newly released game. I think from a market stand point, $60 is fair.  But unless it's a limited run Limited Edition, I cannot remember the last time I bought a game at its original retail price physical or digital.  In fact, not one of my PS4 games were bought at original retail price with the exception of Limited Editions.  In fact, I paid $40 for Senran Kagura Estival Versus - Endless Summer Edition - for the PS4 new when the original retail price was $60.  The same applies to my VITA collection with the exception of Dungeon Travelers 2.  But in this case I paid MORE than retail (just a couple of bucks) because it was a rare title.  I do support the gaming industry, but it has to be a compromise between that and financial priorities.

$47.99 or ($37.99 with 10 Gift Card sometimes) for a 60 dollar game. I only buy at Best Buy. 30 dollar membership fee for 2 years, and I made that back in 1 1/2 games. No better way. I can PreOrder, and if I'm not happy with what I'm seeing I'll cancel it. I've got 5 days to pick it up before release, if I don't I get my $5 bucks back from the preorder.

I mostly don't, because until I have time to play the game itself, it drops down into the 20-40 euro region. There are some games that I want to support and buy them at launch, but I still end up playing them later (ex: RE7, I still haven't got around it).

I am not rich by any means, but a couple of times I can afford full priced games, so I mostly use that opportunity to reward the developer/publisher, and end up playing it months later

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

If there is a game I really want, I buy it at full price.
If there is a game I think I may like and it's in discount, I'll buy it too.

Around the Network
Mr_No said:
Since Gamestop is no more on PR, I'm now forced to buy new games from Best Buy. Spending $60 on a game is something I cannot do every time, so I now try to get informed on the game as much as I can before buying it. I have Amazon as a good alternative, but buying an used game for $50 with a $10 shipping is useless. I don't mind supporting the devs with $60 as long as the game is what I expect.

I think I've taken no tax and free shipping for granted from Amazon.  It always seems to make such a big difference when I have to account for tax of shipping when going with eBay or Gamestop.

I do for a game that I really want

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Same, especially because most of the new released games will be discounted after a few months. There are only a few exceptions where I buy games at launch (From Software games, Naughty Dog games, Tekken games...).

aLkaLiNE said:
COKTOE said:
I buy all my "niche" Japanese PS4, and especially Vita games at full price, because unlike say, Uncharted 4, they basically require it. With the Vita, I have to look at the release list, and pre-order from EB Games. Best Buy stopped carrying Vita about 8 months ago. For PS4 Pretty much the same. Best Buy may get a certain title, but even if they do, it will be like 2 or 3 copies. I buy my "big" games at Best Buy most of the time, and for those, about 90% of the time, I wait for a price drop. With digital, it's 100% massive price drops or not at all.

That's really noble of you.

If I have my eye on a game, I'll usually buy at launch for full MSRP. Too often games and plot points are spoiled by the Internet, and with multiplayer games there's the real chance to miss out on the fun if the products life is cut short (and I absolutely detest/lack faith in the opinion of big review sites like IGN so their scores mean nothing) Ironically ended up buying Overwatch used like two months after launch cuz I wasn't particularily interested in it but the hype. Game is everything it was said to be though, no complaints. Also waited on R6 Siege to hit $24 including season pass on PSN cuz I wasn't sure how different it would be from RS:Vegas. Turns out Siege is the greatest tactical shooter of this gen. 

Well, interpration of nobility aside, thank you. :) I def like to support smaller titles that I think look good with my $$$. Sorta funny story: I was in EB just before Christmas to pick up some stuff, and do some more pre-orders, and the store manager says to me " Thanks man. You know, you're keeping the Vita alive at this store." My friend and I laughed. Then he says: "For every initial pre-order we get, we receive another 2 or 3 copies of that game, and for lots of these, you're the only one ordering it." I was like. "That's cool. Nice to know." Then I went home, had some single-malt scotch, and cried myself to sleep with my anime body pillow. I'm pretty good at avoiding spoilers, so that's rarely a concern. I still buy certain AAA game at launch, because of hype/desire, but end up not playing them due to my backlog. Like Bloodborne. Paid $85 CND for it and it's still in the plastic wrap. It's $20 at Best Buy atm. I still don't have UC4. I had it in my hand for a $40 sale, but when I got to the till, they said they had just sold out. It was a "bring to the checkout" copy. My Best Buy keeps certain games in a seperate cage,and has empty cases on the shelf. Just happened with X-Com 2 as well. Just bought Hitman Season 1 and Yakuza 0 at full price. Love them both too much not too.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

It's a waste of money for most games, and my backlog is so huge I don't see any point in paying that even for most of the games that are worth it.