By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I hardly buy games at full retail price. Do you?

LivingMetal said:
malistix1985 said:
Well on PC I do use cd-key websites a lot so games at launch are around $35-40 but for consoles I do spent full price on occation, I would say 2 times a year.

Last year I bought Uncharted 4 and Final Fantasy XV at full price, this year I am planning to buy Persona 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2 at full price. I used to buy more games on XBox360 and PS3 but there are way fewer exclusives so I end up buying most things discounted on pc :)

Going somewhat off topic, I've heard of this CD-key, but my lack of PC gaming experience hinders me.  Please elaborate.

There are resellers that get digital game validation codes at a discount then sell them at a discount.  Some of it is completely legit, some is kind of "gray market".  It's mostly safe but bad codes do happen now and then and there have been big cases of fraud.  Some buy from markets where games are cheaper then sell them where they are more expensive.  People in the "gaming press" that get free games will sometimes sell the ones they don't use, or people who get them with a new graphics card.

Around the Network

Typically only with Nintendo games, or games from other developers I trust, e.g., From Software.

The problem is that it's hard to tell when a game will be worth a $60 investment. A lot of developers/publishers are inconsistent, and a flashy ad campaign sometimes hides a pretty crummy game underneath. Moreover, many $60 games are short, story-driven affairs with low replay value -- something that might be worth playing, but not necessarily worth owning.

This is probably a bigger problem for multi-systems owners. Someone who only games on PS4 or WiiU, for example, can afford to take more risks.

When metro developer released redux version just a few days after i purchase the trilogy,i said nope, i will never buy at full price anymore (except for a few collector editions)

Only if it's been on my most want list for a super long time and I don't want to be spoiled.

For example:
The Witcher 3
Zelda Breath of the Wild

No way am I going to risk being spoiled by those games, so purchase on day of. Or a day or two before if some pre-order reasons. Otherwise I am in no rush for a game and will buy on spur of moments or if some sale catches eye.

Though Nintendo games do tend to get purchased sooner than later, because they take forever to drop in price.

But I stupidly purchased FF15 on a spur of moment for full price. Could have waited a week and got it $20 cheaper.

Depends on what retail price is. New at £50? Haha, never. But New on day of release because UK retailers fight against each other to get your business at £35? Sure.

Haven't bought a game brand new in a while though, will with ME:A, Tekken 7 and FF12. But all can be found at less that the RRP already as pre-orders.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network

Only if the game has a strong multiplayer element and my friends play it. If it is a single player only game, I'll just wait because they drop in price really fast. Sometimes, I borrow games from family members like RE7.

I literally was just talking about this with my brother. I haven't bought anything retail since Pokken Tournament on Wii U launch day. Everything else has been digital. Injustice 2 and Tekken 7 will be my next retail purchases. I play my fighters a lot. Those Flash Sales and other special sales are what I go for when purchasing games now.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

I like to support my hobby and the people who make it possible, so I generally pay full price. (Well, not counting Best Buy club rewards.)

I never buy games at launch, in fact I try to get the cheapest price possible by considering used games too ...

I got FFXV at 60 but depending on thr game I just wait or notice them when the price goes down