By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Insomniac Games Studio Reaction to Current US Immigration Policy

Tagged games:

Mr Puggsly said:
US is still a melting pot like no other, we take in more immigrants than any other country, maybe the reaction of this ban is being exaggerated.

Only 7 countries about 196 on the ban list. If the intent is to hurt diversity well this executive order is a failure.

Nip it in the bud. If Americans don't stand up now against what's happening, there's nothing stopping Trump from doing more bans on other countries.

Tech companies are protesting for good reason. For Google, Apple and game companies, this isn't just about ideologics. It's about business. If Trump stops them from hiring foreign people because of all that America first BS, those companies will decline big time. There's simply not enough talent in the US, you couldn't hire enough developers there even if you wanted to. 

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
ratuscafoarterea said:
Fei-Hung said:

How am I racist for using the word tribe?! I myself come from an afghani tribe. The issue here is language and your constant delusion that every word and sign in this thread is designed to kill you or mock you. 

Also, stop avoiding the question. 

You know, there's no tribes in Eastern Europe and I highly doubt you come from an Afgany tribe, because if you did , you would know that looking down like that on someone is not appropriate.

I think you have a different understanding to what a tribe is than most people, in most countries across most cultures and backgrounds. 

Also, there is no culture / tribe / community I know off where looking down on someone is appropriate. And I can play the same card you did and say I know of no Turkish majority / minority, Tartar or not, that blindly accuses people of being racist and wishing death on others so I doubt you are a Tartar. 

OdinHades said:
Mr Puggsly said:
US is still a melting pot like no other, we take in more immigrants than any other country, maybe the reaction of this ban is being exaggerated.

Only 7 countries about 196 on the ban list. If the intent is to hurt diversity well this executive order is a failure.

Nip it in the bud. If Americans don't stand up now against what's happening, there's nothing stopping Trump from doing more bans on other countries.

Tech companies are protesting for good reason. For Google, Apple and game companies, this isn't just about ideologics. It's about business. If Trump stops them from hiring foreign people because of all that America first BS, those companies will decline big time. There's simply not enough talent in the US, you couldn't hire enough developers there even if you wanted to. 

There’s plenty of talent on countries that are not on that list. Quick fact, most foreign imported ‘talent’  working at Microsoft, are of Eastern European or Eastern Indian origin.

Fei-Hung said:
ratuscafoarterea said:

You know, there's no tribes in Eastern Europe and I highly doubt you come from an Afgany tribe, because if you did , you would know that looking down like that on someone is not appropriate.

I think you have a different understanding to what a tribe is than most people, in most countries across most cultures and backgrounds. 

Also, there is no culture / tribe / community I know off where looking down on someone is appropriate. And I can play the same card you did and say I know of no Turkish majority / minority, Tartar or not, that blindly accuses people of being racist and wishing death on others so I doubt you are a Tartar. 

So you are admitting that you’re fake, talking bullshit?

ratuscafoarterea was moderated ~ CGI 

OdinHades said:
Mr Puggsly said:

There might be bans on more countries, if they're linked to terrorism. But the goal still isn't to stifle diversity which is the narrative.

You're buying this fake narrative as well, there are plenty of people to employee from many countries not on the ban list. We're littlerally just talking about a few countries in the middle east and Africa. These bans are just temporary anyhow.

As I said before, if this executive order is really an attack on diversity its a faiure.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Edellus said:

=/ Spyro was the very first game I played on my PS1.

Now I'm not saying that it's not ok to have these opinions (or any opinion, for that matter), but at this point it seems to me like they are in the virtue signaling bandwagon. I'm probably nitpicking, but it looks like that to me because of how the video and the speech was made; token people at the front, the crossed arms and the self-pointed righteousness ("our anti-discrimination policies").

That said, it's not a shock either. Liberal dominated places (like videogame companies) might be on pressure to make a stand, and it better be the "correct" stand or they risk shame and business contacts in the industry, so it ends up being smart not sharing dissenting opinion (although I find it sad and a free speech impediment).

Or, you know, there is no hidden liberal agenda forcing them to do this and this is just their honest opinion? Maybe?

I don't get this gut reaction towards basic human decency that it can't possibly be genuine and has to be forced somehow.

I've seen the same thing with people claiming developers were succumbing to 'SJW pressure' when they had women/lgbt characters in leading roles (there's also notable exeptions like TLOU, where at least to my knowlegde this didn't happen). People seem more willing to believe that there are corrupt liberal executives in this world who force poor studios to include diverse characters than the more reasonable assumption that the developers just like having these characters in their games and executives care much more about microtransactions and not upsetting the status quo too much.

And yes, creative environments tend to breed and attract more open mindsets, but if you had a 'dissenting opinion' from the consensus and feared repercussions for it the smart thing to do (as a whole studio) would be to just stay quiet. Especially since Insomniac are the first game studio to take a stance on this to my knowledge. There is no bandwagon in the games industry to jump on yet. So to assume that this is not their real opinion and to imply that they in fact are secretly in favor of  the policys they are protesting is a little mind boggling. Not not mention seriously lacking respect for other peoples opinions and values.

Mr Puggsly said:
OdinHades said:

There might be bans on more countries, if they're linked to terrorism. But the goal still isn't to stifle diversity which is the narrative.

You're buying this fake narrative as well, there are plenty of people to employee from many countries not on the ban list. We're littlerally just talking about a few countries in the middle east and Africa. These bans are just temporary anyhow.

As I said before, if this executive order is really an attack on diversity its a faiure.

It's only the beginning though. The Trump administration is already preparing a law to prevent companies from mass hiring people from foreign countries. I read an article about it but didn't understand everything as I'm not too much into the american system of hiring people from other countries, so I won't judge over it. But it's only natural that tech companies stand up against it and it's only natural that they do it right now and not when it's too late.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

SuperNova said:
Edellus said:

=/ Spyro was the very first game I played on my PS1.

Now I'm not saying that it's not ok to have these opinions (or any opinion, for that matter), but at this point it seems to me like they are in the virtue signaling bandwagon. I'm probably nitpicking, but it looks like that to me because of how the video and the speech was made; token people at the front, the crossed arms and the self-pointed righteousness ("our anti-discrimination policies").

That said, it's not a shock either. Liberal dominated places (like videogame companies) might be on pressure to make a stand, and it better be the "correct" stand or they risk shame and business contacts in the industry, so it ends up being smart not sharing dissenting opinion (although I find it sad and a free speech impediment).

Or, you know, there is no hidden liberal agenda forcing them to do this and this is just their honest opinion? Maybe?

I don't get this gut reaction towards basic human decency that it can't possibly be genuine and has to be forced somehow.

I've seen the same thing with people claiming developers were succumbing to 'SJW pressure' when they had women/lgbt characters in leading roles (there's also notable exeptions like TLOU, where at least to my knowlegde this didn't happen). People seem more willing to believe that there are corrupt liberal executives in this world who force poor studios to include diverse characters than the more reasonable assumption that the developers just like having these characters in their games and executives care much more about microtransactions and not upsetting the status quo too much.

And yes, creative environments tend to breed and attract more open mindsets, but if you had a 'dissenting opinion' from the consensus and feared repercussions for it the smart thing to do (as a whole studio) would be to just stay quiet. Especially since Insomniac are the first game studio to take a stance on this to my knowledge. There is no bandwagon in the games industry to jump on yet. So to assume that this is not their real opinion and to imply that they in fact are secretly in favor of  the policys they are protesting is a little mind boggling. Not not mention seriously lacking respect for other peoples opinions and values.

Yes, maybe they're honest. If you read my following comments you should understand that my opinion is what it "appears" to me; I'm not assuming anything.

As for the bandwagon, I don't think the bandwagon can only be related to the relevant policy, I think the bandwagon encompases everything that is considered politically correct and signaling your righteousness.

Edellus said:
-snip-

Yes, maybe they're honest. If you read my following comments you should understand that my opinion is what it "appears" to me; I'm not assuming anything.

As for the bandwagon, I don't think the bandwagon can only be related to the relevant policy, I think the bandwagon encompases everything that is considered politically correct and signaling your righteousness.

I did read your following comments, attmittedly after replying to you, and am not quite sure what you're trying to say here? Care to elaborate?

They are a business. They need to make money. Even if they are a business in a generally liberal environment it is much more beneficial to not say anything about politics at all unless it directly affects their ability to grow and flourish as a business. It is much safer to not piss off potential consmers and business partners by releasing a political statement. There's more to be gained by staying neutral, so the bandwagon narrative just doesn't make sense to me.

OdinHades said:
Mr Puggsly said:

It's only the beginning though. The Trump administration is already preparing a law to prevent companies from mass hiring people from foreign countries. I read an article about it but didn't understand everything as I'm not too much into the american system of hiring people from other countries, so I won't judge over it. But it's only natural that tech companies stand up against it and it's only natural that they do it right now and not when it's too late.

If you're referring to the H-1B thing, that doesn't deter employers from having diversity per se. It more about hiring Americans regardless of ethnicity and many could be immigrants, can't say I support it but it wouldn't be a xenophoic policy.

The problem is the left keeps spining this as anti diversity issue, when thus far its mostly about security and employing Americans a bigger priority. Disagreeing with Trump's policies is fine, but I call BS on the hate spin.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)