By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Network accounts hacked

Ka-pi96 said:
Only 450? That seems like a tiny number for a hack, no?

I'm repeating myself here, but that's because it's probably not really a hack. What probably happened is that some smartass simply tried logging in on Nintendo's service with credentials obtained elsewhere (i.e. other, real hacks). That's what happens all the time, and that's why you're never supposed to use the same password for several services (especially email, since that's the key to almost all of your accounts).

Around the Network

Not me or my people. Always shitty to see things like this though. Hopefully no credit card info were added to the accounts of the ones that got hacked.

My account isn't on the list, guess I'm safe. At least the number of accounts affected is small, though it sucks if people actually lost content due to this.

Zkuq said:
celador said:
just what they needed two weeks after announcing it was to become a paid service in the near future

The fact that it's just 450 accounts and that the passwords are known hints at this not being a breach of Nintendo's systems. It's much more likely that someone just tried to log in using passwords obtained elsewhere (most likely from actual breaches) and got in in 450 or so cases. If Nintendo's systems were actually breached, there would probably be much more victim accounts than just 450.

Yep, my thought. If you use the same accoutnname+password in different locations, the data from other hacks can be tried on several sites. Insofar the number of accounts ending in VGC is some reason to worry.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Didn't see mine on that list, phew, I'm good.

But I did see a few that had that 'VGC' at the end, indicating users from this site. 
To you guys out there, tough break. I'm sorry you have to go through that.

Around the Network
Platina said:
Not on the list, but the number of users that end with VGC is a bit alarming.. o.O

It was because the hack was targeting the Pokemon VGC (Video Game Championships) Community. There has been a lot of tension there lately for those unaware to do with VGC players using hacked Pokemon via unlicensed 3rd party software.

Not there! Thank god.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Reddit was updated saying that the Nintendo Network was not hacked but the accounts got compromised through the Nugget Bridge site instead. If you have never used that site, you are safe.

It's not a direct hack on Nintendo Network. Months ago hackers leaked a large user list from Nugget Bridge, a website where competitive Pokémon (VGC) players gather (or gathered, the website has been quite inactive since the hack). Someone decided to test the usernames and passwords on Nintendo Network, I guess these 450 are the ones who worked. If you examine the list will notice a lot of the compromised users end in "VGC".

The leaker commented here explaining better what happened.

The lesson here is, don't use the same user and the same password for different sites.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:

Reddit was updated saying that the Nintendo Network was not hacked but the accounts got compromised through the Nugget Bridge site instead. If you have never used that site, you are safe.

It's not a direct hack on Nintendo Network. Months ago hackers leaked a large user list from Nugget Bridge, a website where competitive Pokémon (VGC) players gather (or gathered, the website has been quite inactive since the hack). Someone decided to test the usernames and passwords on Nintendo Network, I guess these 450 are the ones who worked. If you examine the list will notice a lot of the compromised users end in "VGC".

The lesson here is, don't use the same user and the same password for different sites.

Hm... I would say the thread's title need's changed then, though I dont know what to. Prehaps it should be "Nugget Bridge website accounts hacked" instead?

TomaTito said:

This is basically what I've been saying for a while now.

Green098 said:
TomaTito said:

Hm... I would say the thread's title need's changed then, though I dont know what to. Prehaps it should be "Nugget Bridge website accounts hacked" instead?

Well... Technically the Nintendo Network accounts are the (new) victims here. I'd say the title is correct since it doesn't say 'Nintendo Network hacked'.