By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Pros and Cons

Pros:
Super Mario Odyssey - The Mario game I have been wanting since Galaxy 2 came out. I have not been excited for a game this much since Smash 4 (if not before that).
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild as a launch title
Capacitive Touch Screen
USB charging
Region Free

Cons:
Extremely underpowered system - it just seems like a clocked-up Wii U.
Very little information about third-party support
Weak battery life
Expensive controllers
Pay-to-play online service

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network

We still don't know anything about Virtual Console either.

The low battery life is the only thing that annoys me somewhat, and maybe that it is weirdly much higher priced in EU than the US. Other than that it seems amazing, and man it could be awesome for local co-op :).

The paid online and the battery life are probably the worst for me.

My thoughts from a UK and personal perspective.

Positive

Mario Odyssey
Controllers
Portability
Great looking system
Dock

Negative

£280 console price for a very low performance home console but capable portable with very short battery life
Spare dock price
Game cartridges at up to £60 suggested retail for standard editions
Accessory prices
Regurgiated wii u games forming much of the library and I'm a wii u owner
Weak third party support
No VR yet
Money goes much further with competing consoles which have a far superior library and performance level well beyond Switch
Overall extremely poor value all round
Instinctively feel I shouldn't buy it as pricing is exploitative and unfair which destroys the feel good factor of buying a new console
Seems like a console destined to fail and be a dead end within a short space of time

Around the Network

Pros

- Nintendo's own software looks quite good. Can't really complain with Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, and new IP like ARMS in the same year. 

- For a *portable* device the graphics are better than anything on the market. 

- Screen quality looks good. 

- ARMS looks like Nintendo is continuing to build on the success of Splatoon by trying more original ideas and that's good. 

Cons

- Hate to say but third party support look atrocious. Even when people are saying "Japanese support is good" ... is it really? Where's Resident Evil 7? Final Fantasy? Kingdom Hearts? Tekken? How about a Ridge Racer? It's virtually entirely locked out of all the top Western IP too aside from a small handful and Skyrim is 6 years old. Generally speaking there's way too few games as a whole. Wii U has better developer support its first year easily. 

- System is very expensive, it's cheaper to find a PS4 with a game bundled in many markets. At $360 with a game this is beyond a lot of Nintendo's kid market and 3DS market. 

- Some questions about where this exists in the Mobile/Smartphone world. Does it actually do something other than play games? That's another big problem here, I'm no sure parents are going to choose this when all it does is play video games, whereas a tablet can do 50 different things for cheaper. The 3DS is at least cheap, this is not. 

- Kinda has that "jack of all trades, master of none" problem. For a portable it's expensive, large, and has poor battery life. For a home console the chipset is weak and the developer support (and thus the overall breadth of the library) is going to be poor compared to the alternatives. 

Soundwave said:

- Some questions about where this exists in the Mobile/Smartphone world. Does it actually do something other than play games? That's another big problem here, I'm no sure parents are going to choose this when all it does is play video games, whereas a tablet can do 50 different things for cheaper. The 3DS is at least cheap, this is not. 

It doesn't even have voice chat! For crying out loud, it plays games alright, but nothing else it would seem.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Pros:
Games
Portable

Cons
Everything else

in a nutshell :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

DanneSandin said:
Airaku said:

Do you know what their replacements are? Could we be getting something new and significantly better?

If that's the case, why haven't we heard anything about this? I'm only going by what they revealed the other day, some were good and some were bad.

I don't think many people "expected" this. Do we know what the new service is? I'm guessing it's been revamped and DeNA had a hand in this.

We don't know the full extent of it yet, but from what we're hearing right now, it's sounding like it'll be pretty bad.

Again how do we know this bad? How do we know that is the way it's going to work. Did you try it out, have you seen a demonstration? You're assuming things again.

How do we know this is bad? First of all, YOU NEED A SECOND DEVICE TO VOICE CHAT AND INVITE PEOPLE TO PLAY WITH YOU. That's pretty bad, that's features that the Switch is MISSING, something the console cannot do, something that the competition is doing, is doing pretty well, and has been doing for quite some time. That's like having a modern day phone which cannot send text messages, you need another phone to do that. It's on the same level of stupidity. It's just bad design. And it's not like Nintendo is giving you great value for this service; you get to play a 20-30 year old game for ONE month. unlike the competition which is giving you 6 games EVERY month you'll get to enjoy FOREVER, as long as you continue to pay for that service. Oh, we might get discounts on games as well if we pay for this service, but Steam is also offering great discounts for their members, without having to pay for the privilige of getting the discounts. This all means that Nintendo's online service is looking pretty damn bad right now. And this is without assuming anything at all. This is coming from Nintendo directly. That's ALL the information we have of this service right now. And it's all bad.

We have a brand new President of Nintendo and people are assuming and expecting that he's going to run everything Iwata did in the past 10 year. Un-fucking-believable. Iwata DID NOT run things like Yamauchi did. Give Kimishima a chance and wipe your mind clear from everything you think you knew. This is a new era of Nintendo.

Also it's confirmed more things will be revealed in the coming weeks. The Switch was delayed so it would launch with a lot of games and one of their biggest launch line ups to date. Those were Kimishima's words and I doubt 4 or 5 games qualifies as a huge launch line up.

I'm hoping Nintendo can justify all my cons, but with the information we have right now, I'm gonna stick with my opinions. If Nintendo really makes a great case for all the cons, I'll be happy to change my mind.

Again it's too early to say. Nintendo haven't even revealed their online plans yet and I think we're going to see all of that at E3. I'm actually not worried about it at all and I think that there's going to be some changed minds when things are revealed. Nintendo should have kept their mouths shut and waited until they fully revealed the service with all it's features. This is like when Iwata announced the "NX" and everyone started assuming shit before a single detail was announced. Feel free to stick with your opinion but there is no substantial information to go on, no real facts. Just speculation over a few tidbits and some rumors and speculation which could end up looking pretty good. I'm just really confused because I had a feeling we would be paying for online this time around. I even stated this a fair few days prior to the event, but I thought online gameplay would be free.... I'm wondering if Nintendo is going to have two different tiers for their online service. A Cheap one that covers the basic functions and is likely priced cheaper than the competition and then a more expensive premium service that could be something like $80-100 a year. Maybe more depending on overhead costs and how much the serves cost to run. If it works as speculated it won't be for everyone but it will have a crowd and a market that it'll attract. Regardless give it time. If things don't work out by E3 and you still don't like it, then by all means. Complain.

Bandorr said:
That list strikes me as a bit odd.
For example Isn't sonic coming to all consoles, how is that a pro?

Also $70 for a controller is absolutely insane.

But if sonic wasn't coming the would be a Con, so why can't the fact it is coming be a pro